Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #10,501 of 12,086
i literally have been reading for days.. some people say the mahogany has better bass, others say the purpleheart, now i have found people saying the ebony. I read how some reputable people, on this site and another, dont trust the graph of the Purpleheart, like they didnt position it 100% correctly and the measurment is off.

When I read reviews of the HE-400 vs 400i, or the HD700 vs HD800, literally everybody agrees the original HE 400 has more bass than the 400i, and that the HD 700 has more bass than the HD800.. there is no consesus for these TH-X00 that everyone agrees on.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, and the fact that different people say different woods have more bass, is just representative of how close they really are.. rather then there being some "duds" that sound "off"..

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #10,502 of 12,086
i literally have been reading for days.. some people say the mahogany has better bass, others say the purpleheart, now i have found people saying the ebony. I read how some reputable people, on this site and another, dont trust the graph of the Purpleheart, like they didnt position it 100% correctly and the measurment is off.

When I read reviews of the HE-400 vs 400i, or the HD700 vs HD800, literally everybody agrees the original HE 400 has more bass than the 400i, and that the HD 700 has more bass than the HD800.. there is no consesus for these TH-X00 that everyone agrees on.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, and the fact that different people say different woods have more bass, is just representative of how close they really are.. rather then there being some "duds" that sound "off"..
paralysis by analysis.

They are all so close to each other in bass, you would only notice if you did a careful A/B comparison.

Get the one you think looks best.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #10,504 of 12,086
Agree with the "paralysis by analysis" but I've also heard it called "analysis paralysis" :ksc75smile: but I understand @Tetonpowskier predicament since he really has no avenues to try out gear. I went through the same thinking with the HE400i and HE560 when they first came out, ended up buying both thinking I would sell one or the other, ended up keeping both since they are quite different sounding. A friend who had a mahogany and ebony told me the difference is way less than the difference between the HE400i and HE560 so I only tried the mahogany and didn't bother with the others since the stock ear pads and I didn't get along.

@ProfFalkin I like the recommendation on "get the one that looks best" since the woods are so different in color, for me it will always be the mahogany, looks the most natural to me since I build furniture as a hobby but my dad was a carpenter/wood craftsman that built custom wood furniture as a side job and I helped in the shop for many years.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #10,505 of 12,086
If I buy the mahogany, I will just save the extra $50 towards a new pair of cups. So for a little over $500 I can own both mahogany and purple sounds
Buy the mahogany and save the $50 for different pads. I prefer the Alphas, others the Dekoni or Braniwavs or ZMF. But try the mahogany with stock first - you may just fall in love and leave it at that.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #10,506 of 12,086

You will really onow when you listen to it.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #10,507 of 12,086
When comfort is an issue, rarely, it seems to be opposite of common opinion. I like the comfort of my Sennheiser amperiors, I feel like nothing is on my head and I can where them for hours on end. Whereas a lot of other people say they are trying to kill you with clamping pressure, and the split headband is like a crown of thorns (Z review lol). I like on ears, and I like the Audeze Sines fit as well.

As much as I love the HE-400, I can only where them for about two hours. The headband feels like it has no padding, and I get a pressure point at the top of my head. Thats the only issue I have ever had.

As for the color of the wood. I have to go with Mahogany as well. It just registers as more "classic" in my brain, whereas the others look a little more modern. The purple and ebony seem a little synthetic too, even though they are not. Both of those still look awesome compared to other headphones though.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #10,508 of 12,086
Although I love my TH-X00 Mahagony, I have been contemplating selling them and/or my TH600 so I can buy the TH-X00 Ebony.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #10,509 of 12,086

People make a big deal about minor differences. You're looking for notable differences where there aren't any.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #10,510 of 12,086
If I buy the mahogany, I will just save the extra $50 towards a new pair of cups. So for a little over $500 I can own both mahogany and purple sounds

You can't go wrong with any of the the Fostex variants. PHs do have a bump in bass, Ebony's smoother highs, and the Mahoganys fit right in between. Purchase the Mahoganys and with the savings purchase the Lawton 1 mod. You can't go wrong with the driver side mod. In the future if you find the pads too small or too hot after wearing them you can then try the Dekonis. Don't be nervous about your decision as they are all great headphones.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #10,511 of 12,086
People make a big deal about minor differences. You're looking for notable differences where there aren't any.
To be fair it's a $50 difference but I agree that the difference in looks are much more prominent than in sound.

Btw I know most THX00 must still be running great but does any one know where (and if) can we buy a pair of replacement drivers? I looked up the net and can only find a place where they sell TH600 and TH900 drivers with the requirement that I must have pics and serial number of the old drivers....

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #10,512 of 12,086
To be fair it's a $50 difference but I agree that the difference in looks are much more prominent than in sound.

Btw I know most THX00 must still be running great but does any one know where (and if) can we buy a pair of replacement drivers? I looked up the net and can only find a place where they sell TH600 and TH900 drivers with the requirement that I must have pics and serial number of the old drivers....

Oh wow, don't remember fullcompass requiring a serial # before.........that's weird!

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/507385-Fostex-1471548843

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #10,513 of 12,086
I just received the TH-X00 Ebony today. I've put it through a few test tracks and I must say, this is a pretty good pair of cans!

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #10,514 of 12,086

If there is one thing I'd highly recommend for any TH-X00 that is absolutely worth the $50, it would be the Lawton driver dampening kit. Takes a really good set of headphones and brings them up another level. Stock sound is bloated, conjested, and imprecise sounding in comparison to the very CLEAR vocals, more intricately detailed full range, and excellent instrument separation you get with the Lawton driver housing dampening applied. Just don't use any of the cup dampening from the kit or the Lawton pads...

I really liked my TH-X00 PH stock, but I absolutely LOVE it the most out of nearly any headphone I've ever heard for sound with the Lawton driver dampening, and Jmoney pads with custom in pad attenuators. The only area it really needs improvement is in headband comfort... and I'm working on fixing that.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #10,515 of 12,086
I have finalized on the Purpleheart. After experiencing a few days of analysis paralysis, I realized I am really only interested in these Fostex variants for one sole reason. That V shape goodness..so why not go all the way.. I am buying these for my end all fun EDM can, and ultimately for more bass than my original HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back