Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #10,531 of 12,086
When I plug a right angle connector directly into, and then put phone in pocket, the chord wouldnt maneuver around as well in there. With a regular connector, it just comes right out of the pocket, no hang ups inside the pocket.

I would never use these for portable though, too pretty. I gotta find a nice desktop DAC/Amp setup now.

Not on the go portable, but really like for bring to work system portable:

i-TJFRgFz.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10,532 of 12,086
@VRacer-111 , nice "work" system but I'd be too worried about it being stolen at my old work place. But at the same time I had parts of my old speaker gear in my office which included: SAE X-10A (amp), Nakamichi CA-5 (pre-amp), Denon 5-disk CD player, Stax SRD-34 and a old HD -455

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #10,534 of 12,086
Using a Slappa case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE7B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DFR with UAPP is better in every way than the headphone out of the TAB S2. Clarity, detail, bass, mids, highs....much better coming out of the DFR.
DFR is worth its price, it's even cleaner sounding than my previous home setup was (Schiit Bifrost DAC with Meier Audio JAZZ-ff amp), with just a little less bass. DFR pairs really well with the TH-X00 PH, especially once you have the Lawton driver housing dampening applied - clarity and detail are absolutely outstanding with the dampening for a closed headphone, right in line with high end open phones.

The DAC section of the DFR is exceedingly excellent, it's the amp section that needs help but also needs the right amp to pair with. I much prefered the DFR alone versus paired with the Meier JAZZ-ff, it's not that it sounded bad, but sounded basically the same but with a very slight veil in comparison to just straight out the DFR. Now the DFR paired with the Gustard H10 (+ Burson V6 Classic opamps replacing the stock opamp), that is a phenominal pairing - clarity of the DFR alone with enhanced detail and huge bass of the Gustard H10... TH-X00 PH absolutely sings with that combo! Even with the stock opamps, the H10 is a great amp for the TH-X00 PH.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #10,535 of 12,086
Hey All,

Hope this finds you well.

My stock pads on my Purplehearts need replacing rapidly and there seems to be some selection of ear pads to replace them with!

I see that the Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Angled Memory Foam Earpads are mentioned a few times and reccommend by Z Reviews although this was 9 months ago!

Are there any newer / latest ear pads which are a must have for the Fostex THX-00 Purplehearts?!

All thoughts and feelings are really appreciated.

Thank you!

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #10,537 of 12,086
Hey All,

Hope this finds you well.

My stock pads on my Purplehearts need replacing rapidly and there seems to be some selection of ear pads to replace them with!

I see that the Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Angled Memory Foam Earpads are mentioned a few times and reccommend by Z Reviews although this was 9 months ago!

Are there any newer / latest ear pads which are a must have for the Fostex THX-00 Purplehearts?!

All thoughts and feelings are really appreciated.

Thank you!
Here you go, and good luck!

Dekoni Audio Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Premium Earpadz Lineup with Comparisons:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...earpadz-for-fostex.22489/reviews#review-18791

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #10,538 of 12,086
Here you go, and good luck!

Dekoni Audio Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Premium Earpadz Lineup with Comparisons:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...earpadz-for-fostex.22489/reviews#review-18791

Thank you very much to the excellent review you have out together for the various Dekoni earpads.

I own the Fostex Purplehearts and must say through listening to the other THX 00 variants, this is a bass dream.

I have a love for music, all music, but my Purplehearts are subline with EDM music.

With this in mind and the enjoyment in bass in all forms, trebles etc as well, can you suggest a Dekoni pads that will increase my love for EDM, Drum and Bass, Trap, Dubstep, Mrsuicidesheep, Liquicity etc etc etc etc and the vocal variants as not to lose the crisp treble clarity?

Thanks for your help!

:)

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #10,539 of 12,086
Thank you very much to the excellent review you have out together for the various Dekoni earpads.

I own the Fostex Purplehearts and must say through listening to the other THX 00 variants, this is a bass dream.

I have a love for music, all music, but my Purplehearts are subline with EDM music.

With this in mind and the enjoyment in bass in all forms, trebles etc as well, can you suggest a Dekoni pads that will increase my love for EDM, Drum and Bass, Trap, Dubstep, Mrsuicidesheep, Liquicity etc etc etc etc and the vocal variants as not to lose the crisp treble clarity?

Thanks for your help!

:)
Happy to assist!

The one that I would choose to address your love for the bassy arts is the Sheepskin. However, the Velour V2 is just so darn nice feeling with a lovely different sound (smoother and mellower), it would be good to go with that one as well for when you are feeling like you'd want to relax just a little bit. I would also get the attenuation rings as well, because it definitely changes the sound to my ears. You may like the rings or may not, but at least you should/will get another sound to check out if it's lovely to your ears. You can also make certain mods as well, but I enjoy trying out/using what the manufacturer created, and going from there.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #10,541 of 12,086
Happy to assist!

The one that I would choose to address your love for the bassy arts is the Sheepskin. However, the Velour V2 is just so darn nice feeling with a lovely different sound (smoother and mellower), it would be good to go with that one as well for when you are feeling like you'd want to relax just a little bit. I would also get the attenuation rings as well, because it definitely changes the sound to my ears. You may like the rings or may not, but at least you should/will get another sound to check out if it's lovely to your ears. You can also make certain mods as well, but I enjoy trying out/using what the manufacturer created, and going from there.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and putting it across based on your own personal experiences!

When I say thank you and say how appreciated it is kind Sir I wholeheartedly mean it.

I would like to PM you with a few questions etc. It would be most helpful in my quest to be able to listen to music through all outputs and have a massive smile and a very Cheeky grin to say the least!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #10,542 of 12,086
The EMU Teaks, being in the same general family with very close to the same pad design means testing done there may be relevant here. Sound signature wise, it seems like they are closest to flat of all the Foster variants (Fostex TH, Denon, EMU Teak) close to the Ebony in sound, w/ maybe slightly less bass, and according to the graph, a bit less under 10 kHz and a bit more treble above 10 kHz. I'd settled on them mainly since the Ebony could likely drive me crazy with fingerprints, given how close these are and Teaks have no such issue. Aside from the upcoming ZMF pad for this series that Zack has said should finally do the impossible, be more comfortable, without losing any good attributes of the stock pad sound, potentially improving it, it seems another reviewer concluded the Brainwavz newer Round series, likely their more costly Sheepskins (those tend to have more bass and less peaks in the treble vs. the PU leather he tested) could be a top contender (along with the ZMF Eikon pad, though less perfect a fit than the Ori, its thinner design seems to lose less bass). Here is a link to a post from that thread that may be useful for folks here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones.781884/page-52#post-13732313

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #10,543 of 12,086
The EMU Teaks, being in the same general family with very close to the same pad design means testing done there may be relevant here. Sound signature wise, it seems like they are closest to flat of all the Foster variants (Fostex TH, Denon, EMU Teak) close to the Ebony in sound, w/ maybe slightly less bass, and according to the graph, a bit less under 10 kHz and a bit more treble above 10 kHz. I'd settled on them mainly since the Ebony could likely drive me crazy with fingerprints, given how close these are and Teaks have no such issue. Aside from the upcoming ZMF pad for this series that Zack has said should finally do the impossible, be more comfortable, without losing any good attributes of the stock pad sound, potentially improving it, it seems another reviewer concluded the Brainwavz newer Round series, likely their more costly Sheepskins (those tend to have more bass and less peaks in the treble vs. the PU leather he tested) could be a top contender (along with the ZMF Eikon pad, though less perfect a fit than the Ori, its thinner design seems to lose less bass). Here is a link to a post from that thread that may be useful for folks here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones.781884/page-52#post-13732313

The ZMF Ori with custom 'C' shaped in-earpad attenuators (not the under-earpad 'O' rings [a la Dekoni] which make things worse in quality all around) is better in bass than stock, not only in impact, but more importantly in producing clearer, tighter, more detailed, and deeper bass. Custom in-earpad attenuators are absolutely the key to preserving/enhancing the bass and keeping clarity and detail with aftermarket pads. Add in the Lawton dampening and you have a noticeably higher level and more capable headphone. Have not liked any of the Dekoni's I've tried in comparison mainly because of their fit, but also their sound, while not bad, is just not as good as a ZMF Ori. The ZMF Ori is the second best pad I've heard on a TH-X00, haven't heard the Eikon's but would like to. Of course, IMO, the best pad is the non available Jmoney V3 pads that were made for the Denon AH-D series many years ago... I value them more than I do the TH-X00 PH they are currently on.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #10,544 of 12,086
The ZMF Ori with custom 'C' shaped in-earpad attenuators (not the under-earpad 'O' rings [a la Dekoni] which make things worse in quality all around) is better in bass than stock, not only in impact, but more importantly in producing clearer, tighter, more detailed, and deeper bass. Custom in-earpad attenuators are absolutely the key to preserving/enhancing the bass and keeping clarity and detail with aftermarket pads. Add in the Lawton dampening and you have a noticeably higher level and more capable headphone. Have not liked any of the Dekoni's I've tried in comparison mainly because of their fit, but also their sound, while not bad, is just not as good as a ZMF Ori. The ZMF Ori is the second best pad I've heard on a TH-X00, haven't heard the Eikon's but would like to. Of course, IMO, the best pad is the non available Jmoney V3 pads that were made for the Denon AH-D series many years ago... I value them more than I do the TH-X00 PH they are currently on.

I haven't yet taken the 5 minutes to add your attenuators to my Ori's o.0. Even so, I like the bass on my PH's right now. If I were to add the attenuators to increase bass above what I'm currently hearing, do you think putting the Lawton cup damping in would be a viable option? It would likely cut the bass down, probably back to the current level that I'm already pleased with......but more importantly, hopefully it would tame the highs a touch? I don't have a problem with the highs, as my listening volume is probably lower than most. Just kind of spitballing here.

I recommend people to try VRacer's recommendations, at least to my ears, he knows what he's talking about :D

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #10,545 of 12,086
EMU Teaks and TH-X00 actually have the same driver , it is just the wood design and material deference (maybe pads material also , i don't remember )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back