Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 16, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #9,541 of 12,086

Haha yeah, I just got the email as well.

Before I go ahead and buy these mahoganies, I was wondering if other users could rank the mahogany, ebony and PH alongside the 610 and 900? Just looking for personal opinions.

Did a little comparison between my TH-600 and a friends TH-X00, I like the TH-600 better, probably due to the stock ear pads of the TH-X00 being very uncomfortable for me and not providing a good seal.  This lack of a good seal I think causes some distortion in the bass and may have made the highs a bit harsh/strange compared to the TH-600.  When I tried my friends TH-900 last year it was a little smoother in the highs but needed better gear to notice the differences and the bass was a touch warmer but seemed slower.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #9,542 of 12,086
Did a little comparison between my TH-600 and a friends TH-X00, I like the TH-600 better, probably due to the stock ear pads of the TH-X00 being very uncomfortable for me and not providing a good seal.  This lack of a good seal I think causes some distortion in the bass and may have made the highs a bit harsh/strange compared to the TH-600.  When I tried my friends TH-900 last year it was a little smoother in the highs but needed better gear to notice the differences and the bass was a touch warmer but seemed slower.

I scored my TH-600 for the same price as the X00's. Not interested in X00'S now. TH-900's however, a different story. Massdrop is on for X00's

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #9,543 of 12,086
Hello,

Just receive my th-x00  (second hand). I'am Really enthusiastic. I'd love the sound signature !

But Is there any pad with larger ear cavity ?  and made in velour ?
I'm reading actually the topic but well if you can't tell me the result of tests it will be helpfull
wink.gif

Any advice about this two :
- Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads :
       https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894

- Thicker eard pad :
       http://www.ebay.com/itm/172177850274?rmvSB=true

- Shure HPAEC940 Velour pads
        https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460588055&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+ear+pads

- Kennerton ECL-02 :
       http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=89

Thank you in advance !

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #9,544 of 12,086
  Hello,

Just receive my th-x00  (second hand). I'am Really enthusiastic. I'd love the sound signature !

But Is there any pad with larger ear cavity ?  and made in velour ?
I'm reading actually the topic but well if you can't tell me the result of tests it will be helpfull :wink:

Thank in advance !

I tired my TH-600 pads and they are much more comfortable but still leather.  The TH=610 pads will also fit and is close to the same construction as the TH-X00 but slightly larger per @Drizz1e.  Others have tried BrainWave pads and I think Hifiman pads will also fit but you will need to cut them from the mounting ring if going with Focus or Focus-A.  The mounting ring for the hifiman velour is not glued so that might be a better option, not to mention much cheaper, or get the angled velour HE-400S pads but these have the mounting ring glued to the pad.
Just remember the sound will change, better or worse only you can decide this.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #9,545 of 12,086
Hello,

Thank you for your answer ! I have completed my post with some pads references.

I will looking for th-600 pads. How they mod the sound ?
And well any advice about kennerton ECL-02 pads ?

It's seems to find velours pads will be to hard ... i thinking about beyer pads but well anyone try before so I suppose it's doesnt fit :wink:

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #9,547 of 12,086
  Hello,

Thank you for your answer ! I have completed my post with some pads references.

I will looking for th-600 pads. How they mod the sound ?
And well any advice about kennerton ECL-02 pads ?

It's seems to find velours pads will be to hard ... i thinking about beyer pads but well anyone try before so I suppose it's doesnt fit :wink:

The TH-600 pads are really different in design so one thing that it did for me with the better seal was to clean up some distortion in the bass but the mids got very slightly recessed (bad thing to me) and the highs got a touch more air but also a bit sibilant in the process.  For me the over riding thing is the comfort with the TH-600 pads and since the TH-600 was designed for them it sounds better to me.

@canthearyou, appreciate the update on the hifiman pads, I'll let my friend with the TH-X00 know about them.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #9,548 of 12,086
Hello,

Thank you for thoses informations ! 

With th-600 pads, sound signature modification  seems to be very worst than stock ?

What's the sound signature impact of the hifiman pads ?  Diffcult to mount on it ?

By the way, I have read a good feedback about kennerton leather pads ...

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #9,549 of 12,086
Every time I read about people swapping pads on their TH-X00's, I'm thankful for the fact that the stock pads fit me well. Sounds like nearly all the pads out there that will fit them seem to change the sound signature a decent amount. I really love they way they sound out of the box, so I guess I'm lucky that the stock pads work for me. 

I did still look into swapping to a larger pad, just to give my ears a little more room inside the pad. But from the sounds of it, most other pads seem to lower the bass quantity and raise the treble. Which is exactly the opposite of what I'd want the pads to do. As soon as an aftermarket pad arrives that doesn't lower the bass at all, and doesn't brighten up the highs, I'll be all over them!

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #9,550 of 12,086
Hi guys, I currently have ZMF Classics running through an Audio gd nfb11. Is there anyone who can compare the two? I find the ZMFs a bit too bassy for my tastes, they do not really shine on mellower acoustic music.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #9,551 of 12,086
  Every time I read about people swapping pads on their TH-X00's, I'm thankful for the fact that the stock pads fit me well. Sounds like nearly all the pads out there that will fit them seem to change the sound signature a decent amount. I really love they way they sound out of the box, so I guess I'm lucky that the stock pads work for me. 

I did still look into swapping to a larger pad, just to give my ears a little more room inside the pad. But from the sounds of it, most other pads seem to lower the bass quantity and raise the treble. Which is exactly the opposite of what I'd want the pads to do. As soon as an aftermarket pad arrives that doesn't lower the bass at all, and doesn't brighten up the highs, I'll be all over them!

Lowering the bass is not a bad thing when that bass is slightly loose, sloppy, and overdriven to begin with like on the Purplehearts. While the overall bass level may be brought down a little bit, the tightening and increase in detail makes it absolutely better. Its not like you are neutering the bass, it is still REDICULOUSLY impactful, just a few dBs  less if even that much. Much rather the sound of the J-Money pads (which should be very similar to the ZMF Ori pads) to the stock ones; in addition to clearing up and extending the bass, also do the same for the mids and highs. Mids are brought very slightly more forward, and highs are really just cleared up and more detailed, not really an increase in brightness.

Hiroko Kokubu acoustic/piano jazz songs fom the XRCD FLAC rip of her Bridge album sounds so realistic and the bass so lively, warm, and deep....a real treat. Same with Adam Ben Ezra Trio Can't stop running album...the Acoustic bass is absolutely spectacular, 'The Busker' being a nice standout track. Then if I want to go electronic and super hard hitting, Coralmines Technicoral album does the trick, specifically the tracks 'Bring in the F'H(VIP mix)' and 'Moment of Our Story'.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #9,552 of 12,086
  Lowering the bass is not a bad thing when that bass is slightly loose, sloppy, and overdriven to begin with like on the Purplehearts. While the overall bass level may be brought down a little bit, the tightening and increase in detail makes it absolutely better. Its not like you are neutering the bass, it is still REDICULOUSLY impactful, just a few dBs  less if even that much. Much rather the sound of the J-Money pads (which should be very similar to the ZMF Ori pads) to the stock ones; in addition to clearing up and extending the bass, also do the same for the mids and highs. Mids are brought very slightly more forward, and highs are really just cleared up and more detailed, not really an increase in brightness.

Hiroko Kokubu acoustic/piano jazz songs fom the XRCD FLAC rip of her Bridge album sounds so realistic and the bass so lively, warm, and deep....a real treat. Same with Adam Ben Ezra Trio Can't stop running album...the Acoustic bass is absolutely spectacular, 'The Busker' being a nice standout track. Then if I want to go electronic and super hard hitting, Coralmines Technicoral album does the trick, specifically the tracks 'Bring in the F'H(VIP mix)' and 'Moment of Our Story'.

I understand that many people may possibly like that change in signature, but I'm a full tilt basshead at heart so I like all the bass quantity I can get. I'm probably one of the few TH-X00 owners that would actually prefer MORE bass quantity than they already have out of the box. I realize that's not what these headphones were designed for, which is why I have other sets of headphones that hit harder than these. But I can say without a doubt these are overall the best sounding headphones I have ever owned, I absolutely love them. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #9,554 of 12,086
I must be the only one who use these for watching Netflix and YouTube, and not for music so much.

Is use the X00 for movies first then music. 400i for gaming :D

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #9,555 of 12,086
Is use the X00 for movies first then music. 400i for gaming
biggrin.gif

Ooh you know I've been thinking my next HPs should be planars. How do the 400i's complement the x00s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back