Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #9,572 of 12,086
Ooh you know I've been thinking my next HPs should be planars. How do the 400i's complement the x00s? 

I always keep the 400i and TH-X00 on my desk and typically swap out a third headphone to compare to them. I think they compliment each other very well. I find the 400i less fatiguing yet more detailed. The TH-X00 is no slouch in detail but better for electronic and other bass centric genres.

For jazz and blues, it just depends on my mood. Both very capable headphones I don't see myself parting with.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #9,573 of 12,086
  I was just looking at the stock pads vs dekoni pads.  I know there is that sowed in piece.  I looked around the house to see what was soft plastic like that.  I don't have anything that is soft like that.  I determined photo paper was best thing I could find.  Probably thick construction paper would be even better.  Anyways I cut the photo paper up by holding the stock pads up to light and tracing photo paper.  Then stuffed photo paper under the ring.  I put the glossy side towards the driver for fun.  Held it up to light again to make sure it was lined up.  Then put them on.

Took about 10 min easy to get out if I wanted to.  Good news the bass is back.  Because the better seal the pads make I think it sounds better than stock but has similar bass to stock.  I'm sure this could be perfected better than photo paper but it seems good enough.  I was expecting to hear reflection or distortion but don't hear it.  I think the other plastic ring and the pad itself helps absorb most of it same as before.  But some how paper helps route the sound around the pad and bass is back.  Bass doesn't get lost in the padding.

Is anyone with dekoni pads willing to try this photo paper mod?  It is very simple.

The results are rather unexpected.  After 5 hours of listening today what I’m hearing is more micro details and instrument separation.  Bass is more present and similar to stock pads.  Overall sound is better than dekoni pads alone and stock.  It would be nice to get a second opinion on this.  I’m wonder what the glossy surface of the paper facing the driver is doing to give the detail and instrument separation I’m hearing?  Disadvantage is more Sibilance but mostly only higher volumes.

I’m not done though I want to try different size holes to change the bass presents and get something between stock and dekoni bass.  Also want to try different materials.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #9,574 of 12,086
I always keep the 400i and TH-X00 on my desk and typically swap out a third headphone to compare to them. I think they compliment each other very well. I find the 400i less fatiguing yet more detailed. The TH-X00 is no slouch in detail but better for electronic and other bass centric genres.

For jazz and blues, it just depends on my mood. Both very capable headphones I don't see myself parting with.

+1

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #9,575 of 12,086
So I tried some pretty think paper (cut out of paper folder that I was given by a tax preparer) as a second mod instead of the photo paper and detail is gone instrument separation is gone, more bass but slight bloated and not much control.  Its amazing the photo paper was a fluke that I tried that first it was much better.  I don't think it worth my time for the thicker paper I'm just going to experiment more with photo paper.  I will leave the thicker paper experiments to the bass heads.
The paper I used was thicker than a file folder paper.  I would probably recommend something close to the thickness of file folder at the most nothing thicker.  The photo paper was thinner than that and worked the best so far.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #9,576 of 12,086
Is there any reason why I shouldn't cut off this mammoth cable at ~1.2m so that I can use them at my desk/potentially with my DAP in my pocket,, and turn the offcut into a 1.8m extension for when I'm at home chillin' on the couch?

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #9,577 of 12,086
Is there any reason why I shouldn't cut off this mammoth cable at ~1.2m so that I can use them at my desk/potentially with my DAP in my pocket,, and turn the offcut into a 1.8m extension for when I'm at home chillin' on the couch?

I did the first part never made a extension. Never in a place I need that length. Mojo is always close by.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #9,579 of 12,086

If you don't want to do removable cables then cutting the cable to the length you need makes sense and using the cut of piece as an extension is a great idea.

What is the stock cable made of? Silver plated copper? I want to get different cable but afraid to alter the sound signature too much.

The stock cable is a high purity copper and well made.  If you want to try different cables do the removable cable mod first so that changing cables will be easier.  FWIW cables make the least amount of sonic changes, if any.  Pads make a much bigger difference, in both sound and comfort for the TH-X00.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #9,581 of 12,086
maybe off topic.

The Aune B1 portable amp drives these fostex with such finesse, amazing pairing. takes the shrill highs away, beefs up the mid range and tames the low end a bit. but thats exactly how i like it

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #9,582 of 12,086
BTW a quick question as something just occured to me. How many of you are using this (or have used this) with the idsd micro (non BL version, preferrably). If so, what are the settings on the micro you use? (i.e. What power-mode, ie-match setting and where is the volume knob usually around?) I know this differs person to person vastly but I'm starting to think I've been overpowering these phones by a bit. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #9,583 of 12,086
BTW a quick question as something just occured to me. How many of you are using this (or have used this) with the idsd micro (non BL version, preferrably). If so, what are the settings on the micro you use? (i.e. What power-mode, ie-match setting and where is the volume knob usually around?) I know this differs person to person vastly but I'm starting to think I've been overpowering these phones by a bit. 

If you can still hear, you haven't over powered them.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #9,584 of 12,086
I spent a few more hours testing various dekoni pads mods.  By adding different size paper.  I tried holes of various sizes, round and others shaped like the pad opening.  All those lead me to a much simpler solution.

The issue with the bass is coming from the back portion of the pad that is thickest.  Its only that part that really benefits from the insert.  But the good news is that is the easiest mod to do.  You don't have to take pad off and can take insert on and off easy.  The final design.  Is a banana shape insert of thick paper that inserts to the back of the pad (thickest part of the pad [back of head]) Banana shaped about as thick as a nickel (coin).  For thinner paper more the size of Quarter.  The paper I have that is thickest is best because it is more stable and resistance to sibilance.  But only need a small piece as thick as a nickel.  Measuring 3.25 inches high.

This mod brings out bass that is missing from dekoni pads.  It also improves instrument separation.  Before I stated that improves micro details.  But that is not the case I think its just the better instrument separation gives a sense that their is more detail presented.  My theory is the back of the pad is black hole and bass and separations is getting lost forever.  So by using a little paper in that portion it blocks it and does not get lost.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #9,585 of 12,086
I spent a few more hours testing various dekoni pads mods.  By adding different size paper.  I tried holes of various sizes, round and others shaped like the pad opening.  All those lead me to a much simpler solution.

The issue with the bass is coming from the back portion of the pad that is thickest.  Its only that part that really benefits from the insert.  But the good news is that is the easiest mod to do.  You don't have to take pad off and can take insert on and off easy.  The final design.  Is a banana shape insert of thick paper that inserts to the back of the pad (thickest part of the pad [back of head]) Banana shaped about as thick as a nickel (coin).  For thinner paper more the size of Quarter.  The paper I have that is thickest is best because it is more stable and resistance to sibilance.  But only need a small piece as thick as a nickel.  Measuring 3.25 inches high.

This mod brings out bass that is missing from dekoni pads.  It also improves instrument separation.  Before I stated that improves micro details.  But that is not the case I think its just the better instrument separation gives a sense that their is more detail presented.  My theory is the back of the pad is black hole and bass and separations is getting lost forever.  So by using a little paper in that portion it blocks it and does not get lost.

Can you post a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back