Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #9,556 of 12,086
Is use the X00 for movies first then music. 400i for gaming
biggrin.gif

I used to own the 400i too. I sold those and went to the EL-8O (2016).

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #9,558 of 12,086
  Lowering the bass is not a bad thing when that bass is slightly loose, sloppy, and overdriven to begin with like on the Purplehearts. While the overall bass level may be brought down a little bit, the tightening and increase in detail makes it absolutely better. Its not like you are neutering the bass, it is still REDICULOUSLY impactful, just a few dBs  less if even that much. Much rather the sound of the J-Money pads (which should be very similar to the ZMF Ori pads) to the stock ones; in addition to clearing up and extending the bass, also do the same for the mids and highs. Mids are brought very slightly more forward, and highs are really just cleared up and more detailed, not really an increase in brightness.

Hiroko Kokubu acoustic/piano jazz songs fom the XRCD FLAC rip of her Bridge album sounds so realistic and the bass so lively, warm, and deep....a real treat. Same with Adam Ben Ezra Trio Can't stop running album...the Acoustic bass is absolutely spectacular, 'The Busker' being a nice standout track. Then if I want to go electronic and super hard hitting, Coralmines Technicoral album does the trick, specifically the tracks 'Bring in the F'H(VIP mix)' and 'Moment of Our Story'.

Quote:
  I understand that many people may possibly like that change in signature, but I'm a full tilt basshead at heart so I like all the bass quantity I can get. I'm probably one of the few TH-X00 owners that would actually prefer MORE bass quantity than they already have out of the box. I realize that's not what these headphones were designed for, which is why I have other sets of headphones that hit harder than these. But I can say without a doubt these are overall the best sounding headphones I have ever owned, I absolutely love them. 

Ok, wait, I'm in the same situation here that I want roomier pads, but I absolutely refuse to accept any reduction in bass at all (and yes, I would like more if possible, but I probably have to get a TH-900 for that). But doesn't the above indicate that a type of J-Money pad does in fact extend the bass and mids? Can we get a second opinion on that?

Also, have J-Money improved their quality? When I got a pair of D2000 five or six years ago I bought J-Money pads to go with them and I really didn't like the quality at all. The stitching and folding were really sloppy making the pad look very uneven, like a beginner had put them together.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #9,560 of 12,086

At $80 for Ether "flat" pads... I'm all for finding alternatives for half (or less if possible) price.

Entirely understandable.

As one who spent as much (maybe more if I add it up) buying and trying alternatives (I actually tried several pads bought from China off ebay), I will reiteate ... me, I wish I went straight to MrSpeakers first and ended it there.

I mistakenly got in on a 2nd drop of the Dekoni Sheepskin pads. So I have a brand new unused set I can sell you (or anyone for that matter) at cost bought from Massdrop. PM me if do indeed wish to buy what I found to be the best lower cost option.

I'm curious how the Ether angled pads compare to ether flat pads.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #9,561 of 12,086
I was just looking at the stock pads vs dekoni pads.  I know there is that sowed in piece.  I looked around the house to see what was soft plastic like that.  I don't have anything that is soft like that.  I determined photo paper was best thing I could find.  Probably thick construction paper would be even better.  Anyways I cut the photo paper up by holding the stock pads up to light and tracing photo paper.  Then stuffed photo paper under the ring.  I put the glossy side towards the driver for fun.  Held it up to light again to make sure it was lined up.  Then put them on.

Took about 10 min easy to get out if I wanted to.  Good news the bass is back.  Because the better seal the pads make I think it sounds better than stock but has similar bass to stock.  I'm sure this could be perfected better than photo paper but it seems good enough.  I was expecting to hear reflection or distortion but don't hear it.  I think the other plastic ring and the pad itself helps absorb most of it same as before.  But some how paper helps route the sound around the pad and bass is back.  Bass doesn't get lost in the padding.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #9,562 of 12,086
@UNOE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What version of dekoni pads ?
I don't understant what you've done  ? some hand work to adapt the dekoni pads to fostex th-x00 ?

@eobet /img/forum/go_quote.gif : I'm exactly in the same situation ... same spirit.   Some people recommands the kennerton ECL-02 Black pads.   Any opinions about them  plz ?
http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=89

Thx

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #9,567 of 12,086
  @UNOE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What version of dekoni pads ?
I don't understant what you've done  ? some hand work to adapt the dekoni pads to fostex th-x00 ?

@eobet /img/forum/go_quote.gif : I'm exactly in the same situation ... same spirit.   Some people recommands the kennerton ECL-02 Black pads.   Any opinions about them  plz ?
http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=89

Thx

essentially with the photo paper I can tune how much bass is coming in and change the opening size of the photo paper.  But I will eventually look for soft plastic like the stock rings use.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #9,568 of 12,086
Ok, wait, I'm in the same situation here that I want roomier pads, but I absolutely refuse to accept any reduction in bass at all (and yes, I would like more if possible, but I probably have to get a TH-900 for that). But doesn't the above indicate that a type of J-Money pad does in fact extend the bass and mids? Can we get a second opinion on that?

Also, have J-Money improved their quality? When I got a pair of D2000 five or six years ago I bought J-Money pads to go with them and I really didn't like the quality at all. The stitching and folding were really sloppy making the pad look very uneven, like a beginner had put them together.

Extension and impact are two separate bass qualities...I'd much rather loose some impact but gain some slight extension/sub-bass/better blending into the mids, which is what the J-money pads do. I'm all for quality of bass, especially when quantity is minimally impacted. I don't think J-Money is around any more, my J-Money pads are the ones I originally got for my D2000 nearly 8 years ago. I specifically picked the Purpleheart TH-X00's because I knew the stock pads would not work for me (they are smaller than the stock Denon pads) and the PH's have the biggest bass boost of the TH-X00 series cans. Put it this way, I like the PH's with the J-Money pads more than I ever did the D2000's. The quality isn't the greatest for the J-Money pads, like you said, stitching/folding not even. I think the ZMF ORI pads are almost exactly identical in dimensions to the J-Money and look to be much better quality, and much cheaper than what the J-Money pads ran.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9,569 of 12,086
  Oh well, I have see thoses  .. but the ear cavaity doesn't seem larger/bigger  ?

The Dekoni lambskin TH-X00 pads have a smaller opening than the stock pads....not recommended if you are looking for a larger than stock pad. The synthetic leather ones are slightly bigger than stock, but, they are synthetic... Shame for both, because their quality is nice.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #9,570 of 12,086
  What are the options for upgrading the headband on these?

I put the ZMF Pilot Pad on my PH's. You may THINK the stock headband is just fine....but the Pilot pad turns wearing my X00's into a pure pleasure :)
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/pilot-pad
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/omni-pads

I also added the ZMF Ori Lambskin pads and the Lawton Tune-Up kit. The Ori is a *round* pad, takes zero stretching and cursing to get it to fit.
http://lawtonaudio.com/fostextune-up.html

Did the sound change? Yup. IT'S BETTER (to my ears). 

I love my PH's so much, I'm considering a TH900 driver swap next =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back