Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 13, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #9,513 of 12,086

The 610 uses pads that are nearly identical to the old Denon Dx000 pads, actually. The opening is a bit wider than the X00's but the height is the same.

hmm, interesting.  I tried them on, but it was back when I had the Lawton pads on my THX00, so I just assumed they were the same as stock THX00.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #9,514 of 12,086
hmm, interesting.  I tried them on, but it was back when I had the Lawton pads on my THX00, so I just assumed they were the same as stock THX00.

Ive been told they have the same pads as the 600/900, but can't personally confirm. Speaking of the 610, does Fostex sell those walnut cups as spare parts?

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #9,515 of 12,086
Hey guys, I just switched from HD800 with Norne Audio Draug 2 cable to stock TH-X00 Ebony, no regrets!. The only thing I miss are the sound stage and comfort from HD800. I am currently using ALO Audio CDM with Mullard tubes, nice combo!

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #9,516 of 12,086
I think the pre-production TH-610s may have originally had the X00 pads. This was one of the pictures floating around after it was announced:

The 610 pads I bought are definitely the old Denon style, though. Stock pad on the left and 610 on the right:

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #9,517 of 12,086
Does anyone know if the EMU Teak removable cable kit is compatible with the THX00? Would this implementation of the 2.5 mm connector negate modifying the THX00 cups and frame? From what I've read, only the SMC connectors can be used without modifying the wood and frame. Is this a potential solution? From the pictures, it looks like the connectors hang a bit outside the cups rather than embedded in the cups. Can anybody verify?

Removable cable kit? Is that a kit you can buy somewhere to mod the th-x00 yourself easily?

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #9,518 of 12,086
Hmm, then you probably wouldn't like the 610 then, it uses the same pads as the THX00.
[/quote
No the TH-610 pads are different from the TH-X00. The holes are bigger very similar to the Denon Ahd7000 pads. It makes for a very different sound to each other pad I tried. At the moment I prefer the original round TH-900/600 pads. They seem to have the most even mid bass and low mids, less colouration in the mids, but with some small treble boost. I am trying to order some extra mounting rings here in EU, but so far haven't been successful.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #9,519 of 12,086
Does anyone know if the EMU Teak removable cable kit is compatible with the THX00? Would this implementation of the 2.5 mm connector negate modifying the THX00 cups and frame? From what I've read, only the SMC connectors can be used without modifying the wood and frame. Is this a potential solution? From the pictures, it looks like the connectors hang a bit outside the cups rather than embedded in the cups. Can anybody verify?

The SMC connectors don't require any cutting but by the look of the 2.5mm on the new Massdrop image it looks like the jack is on the outer side of the frame.

Removable cable kit? Is that a kit you can buy somewhere to mod the th-x00 yourself easily?

​I don't believe there is a kit, looked around a little on the Emu site and couldn't find anything

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #9,520 of 12,086
  The SMC connectors don't require any cutting but by the look of the 2.5mm on the new Massdrop image it looks like the jack is on the outer side of the frame.

​I don't believe there is a kit, looked around a little on the Emu site and couldn't find anything

Makes me wish I had a 3D printer. I'm sure a kit could be devised that would work. It just depends in the end, how much profit in it there would be.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #9,521 of 12,086
  I think the pre-production TH-610s may have originally had the X00 pads. This was one of the pictures floating around after it was announced:

The 610 pads I bought are definitely the old Denon style, though. Stock pad on the left and 610 on the right:

ah, that makes more sense, because the one I tried was a pre-production review unit.  I didn't realize they had changed pads since.  

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,522 of 12,086

Do they sound different? Made of different materials? 

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #9,524 of 12,086
  Great review. I bought the mahogany last year and have been very pleased. I've heard that they need 150 hours of burn in time. Is that true?

Thanks again for the review.

​I'm probably setting myself up for ostracism here but from my experience, "burn-in" time is pretty personal. If there is a specific burn in time, I doubt anyone knows it, and furthermore, if anyone could prove that it takes that specified amount of time. Just keep enjoying your cans and maybe you might start enjoying them even more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back