Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #9,482 of 12,087
Thanks for all the links!
Will def find the  right one for my needs with the choices given.

I now see what all the talk about recabling and adding removable cables is all about.
The cable on these headphones is the biggest (and only) con i have.

FYI, Audeze sells an 1/4 to 3.5 mm adapter in the same style as the Grado one:

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/14-18-stereo-adapter

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #9,483 of 12,087
No link, sorry. I just took the original cups off, sanded them down a bit (not too much or the FOSTEX logo will come off), and applied a few coats of polyurethane varnish.

Thanks. I'm totally blind on these stuff, but I'll see what I can find. :)

Another picture of them for you guys who appreciate the satin varnish :)

Beautiful, loved it...

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #9,484 of 12,087
For those looking to upgrade their ear pads to leather, a lot of people have been using our Alpha Pads, but the ETHER C angled pads may fit better.  

I thought I'd add to this as I now have some insight ... since I just sent Dan my original Ethers to be upgraded to Flow C, I kept my original Ether Flat pads. And they are fantastic on the TH-X00! Fit, finish, comfort, sound ... home run!

That is compared to original, no-name x-large deep cushie pads from China, and Dekoni pads. I should have just went staight to MrSpeakers webite and bought pads from him. I will be buying angled Ether pads too as a matter fact.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #9,485 of 12,087
Honestly, I've listened to 2 different Purplehearts and 1 Mahogany, and all 3 sounded slightly different.  I know it's not a huge sample size by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if the differences people hear in these headphones is due to the drivers, driver imbalance, differing magnet flux ratings, and possibly even differences in the same type of wood (2 different PH)  just as much or more than it has to do with the different woods being used.  If a blind test between the different TH-X00 variants isn't conclusive for an audiophile, then I'd imagine any of the differences stated above could cause the perceived sound changes people hear.  Just my 2 cents.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #9,487 of 12,087
Honestly, I've listened to 2 different Purplehearts and 1 Mahogany, and all 3 sounded slightly different.  I know it's not a huge sample size by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if the differences people hear in these headphones is due to the drivers, driver imbalance, differing magnet flux ratings, and possibly even differences in the same type of wood (2 different PH)  just as much or more than it has to do with the different woods being used.  If a blind test between the different TH-X00 variants isn't conclusive for an audiophile, then I'd imagine any of the differences stated above could cause the perceived sound changes people hear.  Just my 2 cents.

What source were you using?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #9,489 of 12,087

Another picture of them for you guys who appreciate the satin varnish
smily_headphones1.gif

What headphone stand is that? Do they have one the same but with a brushed finish base?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #9,490 of 12,087
At $80 for Ether "flat" pads... I'm all for finding alternatives for half (or less if possible) price.

Entirely understandable.

As one who spent as much (maybe more if I add it up) buying and trying alternatives (I actually tried several pads bought from China off ebay), I will reiteate ... me, I wish I went straight to MrSpeakers first and ended it there.

I mistakenly got in on a 2nd drop of the Dekoni Sheepskin pads. So I have a brand new unused set I can sell you (or anyone for that matter) at cost bought from Massdrop. PM me if do indeed wish to buy what I found to be the best lower cost option.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #9,492 of 12,087
Did you try Lawton pads by any chance?

No. I see how my former post could be misleading. As I have no idea Dekoni is overall the "2nd best option" (almost as good, just a lot cheaper). Just the next best option vs. Stock or thick noname 100mm or 105mm pads I bought from china, to me.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #9,494 of 12,087
Did you try Lawton pads by any chance?

I have some Lawton pads. They were nice, but lost some of the lower midrange and midbass compared to the stock pads. Soundstage was slightly better with them though. Comfort was better. However, I ended up going back to and preferring the stock pads. I don't have a problem with the stock pads' comfort and to me they have the best sound of anything I've tried. I think it may be mostly the plastic tuning ring (notice, not the mounting ring, but the tuning ring) that's sewed into the stock pads. I wish there was some way we could order that separately. I thought I remembered Dekoni talking about making them, but haven't seen anything. I wish I knew somebody with a 3-d printer, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back