Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 30, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,461 of 12,087
My guess here is that some people like the wet sound of "underdamped" amp/THX00 combos. An underdamped headphone can be perceived as being richer and more forgiving. It can "smooth over" the roughness of poorly recorded/mastered/encoded music. Glad people are enjoying the THX00 in new ways. One good thing about the THX00 is it has a flat impedance curve, so an output impedance above the 1/8 rule won't change the frequency response (which would likely give it truly obnoxious midbass if it did), so you only have to deal with damping effects with higher output impedance amps.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #8,462 of 12,087
Replacing pads on X00 is VERY easy!

It took me a total of about 5 minutes....including looking up the instructions at Lawton Audio!

http://lawtonaudio.com/anglepadinstructions.html

(I went with ZMF Comfort Strap and ZMF Omni Lambskin pads)

You are right! I just tried replacing the pads with some random pads i found and it ruined the sound.

The Fostex Th-0X00 is definitely picky about the type of earpads that are compatible with it.

Hope the Alpha pads wont ruin the sound. From what everyone is saying though the Alpha pads seems like a good pair for the X00.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #8,463 of 12,087
Anyone else clearing up the bubble wrap marks on their own? I've tried with Turtle Wax automotive polish and that was NG. So, I think I might need something abrasive. Maybe a 1000 grit wet sand (just a few quick passes) and then the Turtle Wax?

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #8,465 of 12,087
Can someone please give a picture of this "bubble wrap mark"? I'm wanting to buy an Ebony but this got me worried

Go back a few pages and you will be inundated with them.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #8,466 of 12,087
Can someone please give a picture of this "bubble wrap mark"? I'm wanting to buy an Ebony but this got me worried

I wouldn't worry about it with the ebony, as 1) it was never a problem with the mahogany and 2) I am guessing Fostex and Massdrop more than learned their lesson.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,467 of 12,087
I've heard things in headphones that made me look around to see if they were actually coming from within the house. These headphones had me looking around too, but not because I thought I heard something, but felt something around me. Nice deep bass, made me think someone was walking around me.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #8,468 of 12,087
  Anyone else clearing up the bubble wrap marks on their own? I've tried with Turtle Wax automotive polish and that was NG. So, I think I might need something abrasive. Maybe a 1000 grit wet sand (just a few quick passes) and then the Turtle Wax?

I am having the same problem. I tried with several coats of some wax wood cleaner but it didn't work. It may have improved the shine of the cups, but the bubble wrap marks are still clearly there. They seem to be embedded in the lacquer finish.

Believe it or not I’m contemplating using a bit of lighter fluid. 
eek.gif
It works well on the finished part of guitars. You don’t leave it on for a long time- just put a little bit on a cloth, apply it, and wipe it off. I am not a wood cleaning expert though, nor have I attempted this yet.

Honestly, the whole thing is ridiculous. If these didn’t sound as good as they do I would send them straight back. Fostex clearly doesn’t put much emphasis on quality control.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #8,469 of 12,087
I haven't received mine yet, but this whole bubble wrap thread has me quite worried.   

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #8,470 of 12,087
Well, I just emailed Massdrop back. They were going to send me a new pair without any markings, but since I intend to open them up and possibly do a Lawton mod, definitely change the wiring, etc. I told them to keep those for someone else. I didn't think it was fair to take a perfect headphone from them if I was going to modify anyway.

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #8,475 of 12,087
  Oh wow, so they use the old pad mounting plate from the Denon series and don't use the pad mounting plate used for the TH-600 and TH-900? (linked here: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460)  I guess it's possible those are both the same part.  

I think they're a bit different from the TH-600/900 rings. I bought some from that site and they're definitely not the same. They don't fit as well as the rings on the X00's stock pads, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back