Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 29, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #8,446 of 12,086
The Elise is rated for 32 to 600 ohm HPs - but Lucasz (The guy who makes them) said it would also work fine with the 25z Fostex. Have even heard of people using it with IEMs. I do get a background hum when no music playing and volume WAY louder than I would subject my ears to, not sure if a higher z can or just more hours on the tubes will "fix" that or not. Will have some slightly higher z, lower efficiency HPs very soon to test with. As long as it can get them to "too loud" with no hum I'll be satisfied. 

Funny you mention the m9xx. I was considering selling it and getting a DAC only, as it seems a bit of a waste not using the amp in that unit, I guess there will still be times where a little SS amp could be handy to have, and it certainly is a very competent DAC.

The elise also has an ouput impedence of 100ohm, does it not?

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #8,448 of 12,086
The Elise is rated for 32 to 600 ohm HPs - but Lucasz (The guy who makes them) said it would also work fine with the 25z Fostex. Have even heard of people using it with IEMs. I do get a background hum when no music playing and volume WAY louder than I would subject my ears to, not sure if a higher z can or just more hours on the tubes will "fix" that or not. Will have some slightly higher z, lower efficiency HPs very soon to test with. As long as it can get them to "too loud" with no hum I'll be satisfied. 

Funny you mention the m9xx. I was considering selling it and getting a DAC only, as it seems a bit of a waste not using the amp in that unit, I guess there will still be times where a little SS amp could be handy to have, and it certainly is a very competent DAC.
The THX00's sensitivity is actually quite low, so while it's easy to drive, it's not THAT easy to drive. A lot of people forgets that sensitivity plays an important role in choosing an amp. You can't have an amp that can drive anything every headphones well. It's just not physically possible.
So yep the m9xx is good in the sense that it's a good dac (bought it for the dac section actually) and it has an amp for IEMs and Grados, Sony, ATHs etc

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #8,450 of 12,086
All I know is that new laptop + Audioquest Dragonfly Red + Meier Audio JAZZ-ff + TH-X00 Purplehearts is an awesome combo....

i-BGZM3b6-3072x2304.jpg

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #8,452 of 12,086
Woah, should I really be running the TH-X00 off a tube amp? *mind explosions*  Any reasonably-priced suggestions for pairing?

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #8,455 of 12,086
But the Vali2 is not a true tube amp. It's hybrid and thus should cause no humming with low imp cans.

Btw my Little Dot I+ which is a hybrid also drives the THX00 beautifully. You can find my thoughts in the review embedded within my signature.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #8,456 of 12,086

I can vouch personally for the Vali 2. Oddly enough, even though it's only 25 ohms, it sounds even better on the high-gain setting, at least to my ears. 

High-gain?
I use the TH-X00 with my Vali 2 on low-gain and I barely get it past the channel imbalance before it's too loud (the imbalance ends at about 7:30 and I usually don't listen past 9:00, sometimes I'll push it to 10:00 but that's it, 12:00 is my absolute max). I just tried it on high-gain and 9:00 on low-gain is the same as ~7:45 on High-gain, literally just past the imbalance. It's annoying not having enough room to play with the POT.
This could be because I'm feeding it from my ModiMB which outputs 2v as opposed to the Modi2/Modi2U which output 1.5v, so I get less room to play with the POT...

@vcmusik, what DAC are you using with the Vali 2? What is your POT at when you listen?

The difference that you hear might have to do with the output impedance, in low-gain the Vali 2 has an output impedance of 1.2 Ohms, but in high-gain it jumps up to 5.8 Ohms. With 25 Ohm headphones that's a big difference (and out of spec for the 1/8th rule if you follow it).

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #8,457 of 12,086
  High-gain?
I use the TH-X00 with my Vali 2 on low-gain and I barely get it past the channel imbalance before it's too loud (the imbalance ends at about 7:30 and I usually don't listen past 9:00, sometimes I'll push it to 10:00 but that's it, 12:00 is my absolute max). I just tried it on high-gain and 9:00 on low-gain is the same as ~7:45 on High-gain, literally just past the imbalance. It's annoying not having enough room to play with the POT.
This could be because I'm feeding it from my ModiMB which outputs 2v as opposed to the Modi2/Modi2U which output 1.5v, so I get less room to play with the POT...

@vcmusik, what DAC are you using with the Vali 2? What is your POT at when you listen?

The difference that you hear might have to do with the output impedance, in low-gain the Vali 2 has an output impedance of 1.2 Ohms, but in high-gain it jumps up to 5.8 Ohms. With 25 Ohm headphones that's a big difference (and out of spec for the 1/8th rule if you follow it).

Hmm, interesting. I am indeed using a Modi2U, and on my pot I can turn it to about 5 o'clock at most on high-gain before it's too loud for me. I'm not sure if it's different but the hole on my volume knob points to 1 o'clock at zero volume. I suspect you might be right about the output impedance. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #8,458 of 12,086
  Hmm, interesting. I am indeed using a Modi2U, and on my pot I can turn it to about 5 o'clock at most on high-gain before it's too loud for me. I'm not sure if it's different but the hole on my volume knob points to 1 o'clock at zero volume. I suspect you might be right about the output impedance. 

That's strange, mine points to 7:00 at zero volume.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #8,459 of 12,086
 Does anyone think the MKII would pair nicely with the TH-X00or is that too much power? I kinda wouldn't mind having the pass thru.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #8,460 of 12,086
  Is it hard to replace the ear-pads on these headphones?

Ordered the Alpha Pads and was wondering if the pads on these headphones are easy to replace.

Replacing pads on X00 is VERY easy!

It took me a total of about 5 minutes....including looking up the instructions at Lawton Audio!

http://lawtonaudio.com/anglepadinstructions.html

(I went with ZMF Comfort Strap and ZMF Omni Lambskin pads)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back