Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #8,371 of 12,086
  It's hard for me to entirely say without a/b tests. I believe you own both the X00's and the MT220's, right?

What I can say is that the MT220's offer (to my ears) a very uncolored, detailed sound. They are clean and a little bit lean but not overly so. They are very balanced top to bottom. They are studio monitoring cans after all, and that's what I hear. However, there are more fun sounding headphones you can own. These are revealing in the treble and won't smooth over anything offensive. The treble can be a little bit much to me at times, but again, as a monitoring can, it probably should too.

I think the X00's are more fun. They offer more colored lush mid-range, and more weighty low end sub bass. It's a great, fun listening headphone that I think many of us can universally appreciate.

TH900's sounded (at times) magical to my ears. Lots of detail, really great bass, and very clean sound. The highs were troublesome ultimately and were too sharp for me. I really enjoyed them for awhile, but because the treble bothered me somewhat I couldn't justify keeping them at their very high price point.

You have to remember, BOTH Fostex headphones are MULTIPLE times the cost of the MT220. I always keep price in mind with my purchases, and many times I just ultimately could not justify keeping headphones if they cost too much when there are much cheaper options. If the THX00 cost the same as the MT220 or close, I would choose it, but they aren't close.

Right now, MT220 is my neutral headphone. Pro900 is my electronic and basshead can. DT770 is another enjoyable (comfortable!) V shaped can. I love my EPH-100 buds. I also have a Creative Aurvana Live, which is probably the greatest budget can out there. Warm, rich sound, and comfortable to wear. All of these together take care of me pretty well, depending on my mood, and they didn't break the bank at all... though I have an ELEAR coming soon, so we'll see if I finally find my keeper flagship with the Focal.

What do you think since you own the two headphones?

Hmm so it seems like you think the MT220s are about on par with the X00s, at least in terms of value. I somewhat agree. I think the X00s are better in resolution, bass decay, bass impact, and soundstage, and they seem more natural sounding (less metallic). 

I wish the X00s were a little more forward in presentation. These remarks are based on an unamped un-EQ'd comparison.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #8,374 of 12,086
  from running through this thread, it seems like a number of you experience changes in sound after burning in the thx00s. do you guys leave music playing 24/7 or just leave music on through out the day?

I found a recommendation on this forum, using pink noise on slightly-higher-than-listening volume.

Just left mine in a drawer at work overnight (with the noise on repeat) for the first few days.
Maybe my ears were getting used to the sound, but I felt like every morning they opened up and got more detail.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #8,375 of 12,086
Well, my mahoganies now look like this:

I've taken the imperfect lacquer off (sanding with 180-240-320-600-1000 sandpaper)
And now the cups will be treated with proper wax and oil to become even better

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #8,376 of 12,086
  I've taken the imperfect lacquer off (sanding with 180-240-320-600-1000 sandpaper)
And now the cups will be treated with proper wax and oil to become even better

Can't wait to see the end result. If I do something similar, I might just put a custom logo on the cups. Make them a Denon, or Marantz branded headphone. lol.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #8,378 of 12,086

Are you using any special tools for this? Would love if you could post more photos or the process!

No special tools needed - just a screwdriver to take the cups off, 5 sheets of sandpaper to take the lacquer off, and 1-2 hours of your time per one cup
The lacquer on Mahoganies was quite thin, so I managed to take it all off in 3 hours.

I will post more photos of waxing and oiling when I have some more time for these activities

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #8,379 of 12,086
  Well, my mahoganies now look like this

Nice! I'll be very interested to see how this turns out
My PH's look like this for now:

However the varnish isn't quite as perfect as it looks in the picture. I'm not really satisfied with it. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist.
I'll leave it like this for the while, but I might end up doing the same as you did.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,380 of 12,086

Nice! I'll be very interested to see how this turns out
My PH's look like this for now:

However the varnish isn't quite as perfect as it looks in the picture. I'm not really satisfied with it. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist.
I'll leave it like this for the while, but I might end up doing the same as you did.

They look good in the picture...

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #8,382 of 12,086
Damn it, mine have the bubble wrap marks. Quite a lot too on 1 cup. Anyone know how the replacement cups would work internationally, would they be free to send back? and I am guessing MORE customs charges when the new cups are sent in. Already paid £75 customs, I honestly don't know what to do now.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #8,383 of 12,086
Damn it, mine have the bubble wrap marks. Quite a lot too on 1 cup. Anyone know how the replacement cups would work internationally, would they be free to send back? and I am guessing MORE customs charges when the new cups are sent in. Already paid £75 customs, I honestly don't know what to do now.

You wont be charged customs fees for replacement parts. Theres a seperate category on the import forms

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #8,384 of 12,086
  from running through this thread, it seems like a number of you experience changes in sound after burning in the thx00s. do you guys leave music playing 24/7 or just leave music on through out the day?

I used Radio Paradise (internet radio) . Set volume a little louder than I would listen to. Put them in a box with a lid,let them play for about a week !

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,385 of 12,086
You wont be charged customs fees for replacement parts. Theres a seperate category on the import forms

Ah nice, I will be more likely to ask for replacements then. Is sending back free too do you know? I've never taken cups off of headphones before, but I heard it's not too hard on these.

Here are the marks on mine. It's very hard to photograph clearly and they are pretty much all over the flat circle part of the cup, but the pic only captures a small portion of it.

Love the sound though, they are fantastic. I like the bass better on these compared to the Mahogs, but it might mellow a tiny bit with burn in like they did on the X00's so interesting to see how different it is after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back