Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,956 of 12,087
Probably the closest open headphones to these are the old HiFiMan HE 400 (not the newer 400i or 400s versions) and the Phillips Fidellio X2/27

No, the Old HE 400 is not anything like the TH X00, the HE 400 had a lack of upper mids, the TH X00 has some what forward upper mids, the two may share a simmilar sense of bass but after having spent some time with the HE 400, I can assure you it's not like the TH X00, at least not in the mids 

The HE 400 is like the LCD 2, but faster an less transparent... the LCD 2 Fazor has... bass that's a tad slower but has amazing spatial cues an mirco detail in the low an central mids, but the LCD 2 like the HE 400 has a SERIOUS lack of upper mids that makes it very wonky sounding, espically with spoken word 

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2,957 of 12,087
No, the Old HE 400 is not anything like the TH X00, the HE 400 had a lack of upper mids, the TH X00 has some what forward upper mids, the two may share a simmilar sense of bass but after having spent some time with the HE 400, I can assure you it's not like the TH X00, at least not in the mids 

The HE 400 is like the LCD 2, but faster an less transparent... the LCD 2 Fazor has... bass that's a tad slower but has amazing spatial cues an mirco detail in the low an central mids, but the LCD 2 like the HE 400 has a SERIOUS lack of upper mids that makes it very wonky sounding, espically with spoken word 

Sure, but he was asking about open comps and there aren't a lot of great fits. Not a whole lot of great sub bass open cans with a forward presentation. They both have a treble peak, the THX00 has it at 8k while the He400 is more at like 11k. The THX00, when meandered, also has a dip at 4K just like the HE400. They're not perfect matches, but do you have a better suggestion for similar open headphones?

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2,958 of 12,087

All relatively of course - but with an output impedance of under 1 ohm and output power of 460 mW / 16ohm or 255 mW / 32 ohm it should be able to drive most non-planars well, and it is much more powerful than my AK100ii for example.

I agree regarding the advantage of more power, but it can still sound very good on that level of power. It is driven quite well out of my AK100ii, however it has more oomph and improved clarity out of my corda classic, which dumps about 3.5W of class A into the X00's load.

I have been using the headphones with my X5II quite a bit since I got them. For my purposes it drives the THxx more than adequately using low gain and about 50% on the volume control. For  "sort of" portable use the combination is actually quite good. As mentioned, "good" is quite relative in the personal audio arena. Of course the only "good" that concerns me is my definition of that term. Some may or may not like the signature of the X5, but the amp does just fine with the THxx. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #2,959 of 12,087

what is the HE650?  (you mean the HE560? It costs $899?)  I'll agree that the HE400i is better, but they're also completely different headphones.  You're always going to pay a mild premium for the same level of sound quality on a closed headphone.

The bass does definitely tighten up with burn-in on these.  I'm not the world's biggest believer in burn in, but the Fostex 50mm biodyna drivers probably change more from burn in than any headphone I've ever heard.  Also, if anything I'd say these have the opposite of a veil, they have a pretty noticeable 8kHz bump that, if anything, makes them aggressively forward at times.  Now, they aren't world beaters in resolution and transparency, but are extremely good for closed headphones in that regard.  Especially bassy closed headphones.  

Typo!  Sennheiser HD-650.  I'll definitely burn them in a bit.  Already fixed the cup thanks to a demo earlier in this thread.  

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #2,960 of 12,087
Just burned-in my pair of TH-X00 serial "00008" for about 30 hours and in my experience the TH-600 is a lot closer to the TH-900 than the TH-X00.

To my ears the TH-X00 has more bass that is looser and less layered. I find the TH-600 has tighter more extended bass, more detailed mids, and more exciting highs. On the other-hand the more forward mids and tamed highs of the TH-X00 give them a more relaxing and lush presentation. The mids are more forward but it also loses some detail due to the characteristics of the bass unfortunately. I feel like I am 4-5 rows from the singer on the TH-600 whereas I am 2-3 on the TH-X00. Soundstage of the TH-600 is closer to TH-900 whereas the TH-X00 felt collapsed and less opened when switching back and forth. (Probably because of the pads used)

The funny thing is when I compared the TH-X00 to my Denon D2000 with D7000 cable / cups they sounded pretty close. Mids were pushed back slightly on the D2000 but sound-stage was a little wider, highs had more excitement to it, and bass was more controlled. When I swapped the pads on the D2000 to the TH-X00 I couldn't tell a big difference between them. The TH-X00 sounded more like the house sound I am most familiar with and I am sure when I get a chance to throw the TH-600 pads on the TH-X00 that they will sound very close to each other. 

For those interested in the pads I have on my D2000 that are very close to OEM pads that I threw away when they wore out, they are these ones and i highly recommend them if you find the bass too overbearing on the stock pads and you want more sound-stage:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone-/261349307920

Here's a pic I snapped showing the difference between them, TH-X00 on the left, D2000 ebay replacement on the right:

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #2,961 of 12,087
To be precise, they are semi-closed headphones. There is a strong difference in noise isolation, and it's noticeable if you compare the TH-X00 and ATH-M50 in a public setting.

I initially thought semi-closed headphones were borderline useless in regards to isolation, but they isolate just as well as earbuds/medium level IEM's imo. They also don't leak as much as expected. One time I was at a coffee store and this one guy was using open back cans and it pissed me off. I thought it would be that guy by using the TH-X00 in public, but noise leakage isn't bad at all as long as you are using them at appropriate volumes

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #2,962 of 12,087
Anyone from Australia stuck on the same boat? This is from the DHL eCommerce site, I've got no update since 7 days ago and neither USPS or AusPost show anything either. :/

• Dec 10, 2015
  • 4:40AM ET​

New York, NY, US

Transport to Destination Country

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,965 of 12,087
  Anyone from Australia stuck on the same boat? This is from the DHL eCommerce site, I've got no update since 7 days ago and neither USPS or AusPost show anything either. :/

• Dec 10, 2015

New York, NY, US

Yes, mine is exactly the same.

Same here

I had the same thing up until I received the package - it was in NY from 9/12 and I received it on Tuesday. There were no updates from Australia (ie passing customs, Australian distribution centre etc), the NY one was the last update before I received it. I would be surprised if you don't receive this tomorrow if you're in urban centres.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,966 of 12,087

• Dec 10, 2015

New York, NY, US

Yes, mine is exactly the same.

Same here

I had the same thing up until I received the package - it was in NY from 9/12 and I received it on Tuesday. There were no updates from Australia (ie passing customs, Australian distribution centre etc), the NY one was the last update before I received it. I would be surprised if you don't receive this tomorrow if you're in urban centres.

You're in Sydney though right? Perth here, what about the rest of you guys?

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,968 of 12,087
I'm in Adelaide, in the same "sinking" boat, no movements since December 10.The cans were posted two weeks tomorrow! We could at least get an update or something in a whole week, or is it too much to ask from DHL?

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #2,970 of 12,087
11:54
AM CET
Processed Sort Facility
DeutschePost, DE
10:54
AM LT
Arrived at Terminal Location
DEFRAA, DE
Dec 14, 2015
3:39
PM CET