Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,926 of 12,089
I did to, but the upGrade Itis got to me, it was too warm an a tad slow for my tastes. but I paid around $250 for my oDac an mStage, then $600 for my NFB10ES2, so imo I got a nice an rather literal doubling to my system! 

Same here with the upgrade-itis. Had it paired with a music streamer II then switched to the Asgard 2 with the same DAC. It was more of a side grade, really, and an impulse decision.

Then I decided to go all in one, and picked up the NFB-15. Haven't looked back, since. Really looking forward to what it can do with my TH-X00 (which I should mention it is scheduled to finally arrive this weekend).

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #2,927 of 12,089
Chord Mojo is an excellent choice for most headphones (except power hungry headphones like HE-6) and more than enough for easy to drive headphones like TH-X00.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,928 of 12,089
I just swapped stock pads for the Alpha pads. Wow I really like what I'm hearing, now my ears have a lot more free space and aren't pressed up to the drivers.

Perceived soundstage has also increased, and the bass seems like it is tighter and not as bloated.

It was a little bit of a pain in the ass getting the Alpha pads to stretch around the plastic clips, but they fit if you bend it inwards a little bit for the last clip. Definitely worth the effort!! They feel like completely different headphones now.

More sound impressions to follow, I'm going to the beach with my girlfriend today and when I get back I'll do some critical listening. I probably won't change them back, these don't sound like they mess up any of the frequency response but tighten up the bass and improve the soundstage without taking away the highs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #2,929 of 12,089
  I finally got around to actually listen to my pair despite having it for several days now (just haven't had time yet).

I decided to start with some of my favorite electronica albums, and I have to say, the bass response makes me laugh. I'm not really used to bassy headphones in general, since those are the kinds of headphones I typically avoid, so this is definitely ridiculous, in a good way. I guess I could say it's a nice change of pace from my usual kind of headphones.
smile.gif

I know I won't be keeping these though, because for me it doesn't really do anything better than the Audio-Technica MSR7, which is also cheaper. The MSR7 is a definite keeper for me; the TH-X00 not so much. It'll be fun to have for a while but that's about it....

I find the sound signature of the TH-X00 similar to the MSR7, with the mids and vocals more forward with the MSR7. But, I'm returning my MSR7s. The TH-X00 fall more into the "keeper"category for me. Maybe because of the wood? I don't know, but they are a little more engaging to me, and special.

I am now in pursuit of something to complement the TH-X00 and AKG K702-65. Thinking the Sennheiser HD700.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #2,930 of 12,089
  I just swapped stock pads for the Alpha pads. Wow I really like what I'm hearing, now my ears have a lot more free space and aren't pressed up to the drivers.

Perceived soundstage has also increased, and the bass seems like it is tighter and not as bloated.

It was a little bit of a pain in the ass getting the Alpha pads to stretch around the plastic clips, but they fit if you bend it inwards a little bit for the last clip. Definitely worth the effort!! They feel like completely different headphones now.

More sound impressions to follow, I'm going to the beach with my girlfriend today and when I get back I'll do some critical listening. I probably won't change them back, these don't sound like they mess up any of the frequency response but tighten up the bass and improve the soundstage without taking away the highs.

Glad to hear the Alpha pads made it there safely!

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #2,931 of 12,089

I interested in trying the Alpha pads on the TH-X00. Did the small amount of required bending ever appear or feel close to breaking the plastic clips?

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #2,933 of 12,089

Hmm, you make it sound really compelling. Now I have to figure out if anyone wants to sell me some Alpha pads, or if I need to get in the queue to have them delivered early next year.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2,934 of 12,089

I find the sound signature of the TH-X00 similar to the MSR7, with the mids and vocals more forward with the MSR7. But, I'm returning my MSR7s. The TH-X00 fall more into the "keeper"category for me. Maybe because of the wood? I don't know, but they are a little more engaging to me, and special.

I am now in pursuit of something to complement the TH-X00 and AKG K702-65. Thinking the Sennheiser HD700.

IMHO you don't need another pair of headphones to "complement "  TH-X00 and AKG K702-65. They complement each other perfectly without any room left

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,935 of 12,089

Are you talking about the Alpha Pads (genuine lamb-leather)?

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,936 of 12,089

IMHO you don't need another pair of headphones to "complement "  TH-X00 and AKG K702-65. They complement each other perfectly without any room left

My wife would be really happy to read this.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2,937 of 12,089

Glad to hear your impressions are matching mine :D 

I interested in trying the Alpha pads on the TH-X00. Did the small amount of required bending ever appear or feel close to breaking the plastic clips?

Nope, frankly I've busted the rings on my HE 4 an I've not had any consequance of doing so yet 

Are you talking about the Alpha Pads (genuine lamb-leather)?

Yeap

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,938 of 12,089
Finally received it, nothing bad and nothing fancy, worth $400 for sure. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,940 of 12,089

Not really. I was worried that the plastic would break cause I was flexing the ring to get the Alpha pads to fit. They fit just fine, they just take a little care and patience to get them on but it wasn't as difficult as swapping out my DT880 pads for new ones which wasn't as quite as easy.

These pads have really made the difference though. I think I like the TH-X00 w/ Alpha pads more than my Alpha Dogs now. There is more extension up top, and better width to the soundstage.

With the stock pads, these headphones already had the great soundstage width but they were lacking depth. Now my ears have ample space and I am just floored listening to them. This wasn't the same feeling I had with the stock pads so I can tell something magical just happened with the TH-X00 and Alpha pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back