Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 16, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,911 of 12,087

Don't put DT990 pads on ANY closed headphone. The 990 pads are notorious for doing that, because those pads have absolutely no seal. Closed headphones aren't design for leaky velours. And in case people don't realize, while the 990 pads and 770 look the same in pictures, they are 100% different. The 770 pads are stiff, and fully closed/sealed.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,912 of 12,087

How does the MSR7 do with wood?

It's all about the wood, man.   Screw the sound and the price. 
biggrin.gif

one, two, three, four, and five

yea I've got five wood back headphones, with one out for repairs

I'd have to say this statement is tru! 

Was listening to these my first wooden HPs on my wooden Colorfly C4, is that enough to join the wood club?

Hmmm!  I knew it!  I thought it won't be too long before this discussion turned to how much "wood" or how many "woodies" one has or has compiled. I can't honestly say that I didn't see that one coming...  

You gotta love that connect between testosterone-think and wood!

Come to think about it, talking about "wood"...  It sounds like "power" in certain audiophile and audio enthusiasts discussions of amps...   i.e. :

"You can't have too much wood!"
smily_headphones1.gif

So HP designers and engineers : Take note 
k701smile.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,914 of 12,087
Narrowing my collection down to just 2 headphones to fit the sound signature I like. I now have the Fostex TH-X00 and the Fidelio X2. Both of these headphones are nearly perfect for anyone who wants a open and a closed headphones that can perform well in the bass and have an overall smooth and enjoyable sound signature. I just need to sell off my M50x and I am 100% done with buying headphones for a long time. Anyone who wants a closed headphone that looks amazing and has great bass and smooth non fatiguing highs purchase an X00 as soon as you can. Feeling is mutual with the Fidelio x2, nice bass for an open can, looks great, doesn't fatigue and has a very good sound-stage.

The headphone chase is over for me ladies and gentleman, its on to updating my audio chain now to make it as good of quality as my headphones.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,915 of 12,087

Hmmm!  I knew it!  I thought it won't be too long before this discussion turned to how much "wood" or how many "woodies" one has or has compiled. I can't honestly say that I didn't see that one coming...  

You gotta love that connect between testosterone-think and wood!

Come to think about it, talking about "wood"...  It sounds like "power" in certain audiophile and audio enthusiasts discussions of amps...   i.e. :

"You can't have too much wood!"
smily_headphones1.gif

So HP designers and engineers : Take note 
k701smile.gif

Hey man, women like wood too!

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,916 of 12,087
  one, two, three, four, and five

yea I've got five wood back headphones, with one out for repairs

I'd have to say this statement is tru! 

I can't even begin to count how many wood enclosure cans I currently own. Nearly of the ATH full size woodies except one or two pairs, several pairs of Grados, R10, XC, TH900, on and on...

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,918 of 12,087
  Narrowing my collection down to just 2 headphones to fit the sound signature I like. I now have the Fostex TH-X00 and the Fidelio X2. Both of these headphones are nearly perfect for anyone who wants a open and a closed headphones that can perform well in the bass and have an overall smooth and enjoyable sound signature. I just need to sell off my M50x and I am 100% done with buying headphones for a long time. Anyone who wants a closed headphone that looks amazing and has great bass and smooth non fatiguing highs purchase an X00 as soon as you can. Feeling is mutual with the Fidelio x2, nice bass for an open can, looks great, doesn't fatigue and has a very good sound-stage.

The headphone chase is over for me ladies and gentleman, its on to updating my audio chain now to make it as good of quality as my headphones.

Reading your post, I feel like I'm reading a post that I'll be making in a few months or years time. Are you the future me? I have the exact same sonic preferences as you, but the only difference is that I started out with a V-Moda M-100 instead of the M50x. I just recently pounced on the X2 and absolutely loved them, and I'm looking to get the Fostex TH-X00 in the future.

As for amps/dac, I haven't gotten one yet. I'm playing it through a M/M2U stack whcih I'm borrowing from a friend, and I feel that the stack is a tad too bright for me. What DAC/Amps would you recommend, seeing that you have the same musical tastes as me?

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,919 of 12,087
Mine have turned up. Were delivered to a completely different street to mine. Luckily to an honest person who popped them round this morning.

Had a quick listen. These have good potential if what I'm hearing about burn improvements is also the same for mine.

Time will tell.

Good to know they turned up. Mine were delivered today too.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,921 of 12,087

I can't even begin to count how many wood enclosure cans I currently own. Nearly of the ATH full size woodies except one or two pairs, several pairs of Grados, R10, XC, TH900, on and on...

Dx consider my jelly, I'm trying to expand my collection

though if I even winner a HUGE sum of cash the R10 bass heavy are the first thing on my list! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2,922 of 12,087
  Reading your post, I feel like I'm reading a post that I'll be making in a few months or years time. Are you the future me? I have the exact same sonic preferences as you, but the only difference is that I started out with a V-Moda M-100 instead of the M50x. I just recently pounced on the X2 and absolutely loved them, and I'm looking to get the Fostex TH-X00 in the future.

As for amps/dac, I haven't gotten one yet. I'm playing it through a M/M2U stack whcih I'm borrowing from a friend, and I feel that the stack is a tad too bright for me. What DAC/Amps would you recommend, seeing that you have the same musical tastes as me?

I started out with a Vmoda M100 as well, check my profile LOL. It was my first "audiophile" type of headphone. Amp/Dac depend a lot on the headphone as you want to create synergy. But if I were to purchase a dac/amp and I was a basshead I would choose a ifi iDSD Micro for extreme bass potential. If your goal is to have a dac/amp thats more netrual/warm I would go with an Mstage HPA 3u or gustard h10/12 to start with. 

M/M stack and o2/odac are said to be on the brighter side. Mstage/gustard are more warm. This is not my direct opinion as I haven't heard either, just information from tons of others on this forum.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,923 of 12,087
  I started out with a Vmoda M100 as well, check my profile LOL. It was my first "audiophile" type of headphone. Amp/Dac depend a lot on the headphone as you want to create synergy. But if I were to purchase a dac/amp and I was a basshead I would choose a ifi iDSD Micro for extreme bass potential. If your goal is to have a dac/amp thats more netrual/warm I would go with an Mstage HPA 3u or gustard h10/12 to start with. 

M/M stack and o2/odac are said to be on the brighter side. Mstage/gustard are more warm. This is not my direct opinion as I haven't heard either, just information from tons of of other on this forum.

I can confirm that the mStage is warm, I used an oDac with an mStage for the longest time! I enjoyed it 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,925 of 12,087
I love the M-Stage. I used to own the 2013 and it paired wonderfully with almost everything I threw at it.

I did to, but the upGrade Itis got to me, it was too warm an a tad slow for my tastes. but I paid around $250 for my oDac an mStage, then $600 for my NFB10ES2, so imo I got a nice an rather literal doubling to my system! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back