Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,996 of 12,087
Just early impressions:

-This is an extremely fun headphone to listen to...is it neutral? Absolutely not but oh so much fun to listen to....

- So far I am really digging the bass...I am in disagreement with the bass being wooly or mudddy sounding...It hits hards when it needs to but when it is not in the recording it is not there....I am a bass player and I tend to like a little more bottom end but I hate a muddy sound...to my ears these aren't muddy. The bass is tight and upfront just how I like it...Listening to Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace off of Bela Fleck and the Flecktone's live album Live Art I have to say I was very impressed. 

-The sound stage acceptable, not extremely wide but I found that it goes fairly deep.

-The mids are great(acoustic guitar sounds excellent) for a headphone like this, I'm really enjoying putting the headphone through the different music genres...it is early but I think they are better than my D7000 and the bass on these is not nearly as muddy. IMO, the D7000 is darker sounding. 

-They look fantastic and build quality is very good.

-The only negative is possibly the pads, they are ok, just not ridiculously comfy(they may get better) and my ears do get a little hot . The pads may have a lot with this tuning though. I may try to switch out the pads this evening and see what happens.

-Overall, I am very pleased with this headphone. IMO, for the money it is a great deal. No buyers remorse here.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,997 of 12,087
  Just early impressions:

-This is an extremely fun headphone to listen to...is it neutral? Absolutely not but oh so much fun to listen to....

- So far I am really digging the bass...I am in disagreement with the bass being wooly or mudddy sounding...It hits hards when it needs to but when it is not in the recording it is not there....I am a bass player and I tend to like a little more bottom end but I hate a muddy sound...to my ears these aren't muddy. The bass is tight and upfront just how I like it...Listening to Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace off of Bela Fleck and the Flecktone's live album Live Art I have to say I was very impressed. It sounds

-The sound stage acceptable, not extremely wide but I found that it goes fairly deep.

-The mids are great(acoustic guitar sounds excellent) for a headphone like this, I'm really enjoying putting the headphone through the different music genres...it is early but I think they are better than my D7000 and the bass on these is not nearly as muddy. IMO, the D7000 is darker sounding. 

-The only negative is possibly the pads, they are ok, just not ridiculously comfy(they may get better) and my ears do get a little hot . The pads may have a lot with this tuning though. I may try to switch out the pads this evening and see what happens.

-Overall, I am very pleased with this headphone. IMO, for the money it is a great deal. No buyers remorse here.

what are you amping with?

also, don't get me excited by this "better than the D7000" stuff, you'll have me chasing down a UPS freight truck on the interstate between seacaucus NJ and doraville ga.  I am just hoping it's close to the D7000, which was a $1000 headphone back in the day.  If it's a D7000 with even better bass and mids...

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,998 of 12,087
Poster and reader tag-able posts sounds like a great idea actually. And then filtering functionality. Would make forum browsing a joy if you are looking for something.

I wholeheartedly support this! It would be imperative for Head-Fi to define and, at least, somewhat restrict the number of tags available. How many different spelling iterations of 'review' or 'impression' do you think the community could come up with? Managing all of those tags would be a task if Head-Fi didn't provide some structure. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,999 of 12,087

- So far I am really digging the bass...I am in disagreement with the bass being wooly or mudddy sounding...It hits hards when it needs to but when it is not in the recording it is not there....I am a bass player and I tend to like a little more bottom end but I hate a muddy sound...to my ears these aren't muddy. The bass is tight and upfront just how I like it...Listening to Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace off of Bela Fleck and the Flecktone's live album Live Art I have to say I was very impressed. 

I 100% agree with your assessment of the bass.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,000 of 12,087

what are you amping with?

also, don't get me excited by this "better than the D7000" stuff, you'll have me chasing down a UPS freight truck on the interstate between seacaucus NJ and doraville ga.  I am just hoping it's close to the D7000, which was a $1000 headphone back in the day.  If it's a D7000 with even better bass and mids...

Marantz HD-DAC1 & MAD EAR+

I don't want to get your hopes up
biggrin.gif
 but for me the mid are better with a bit better separation between all the instruments.I have a feeling you will be impressed.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2,001 of 12,087
  Just early impressions:

Thanks for chiming in and good to hear from you! Looking forward to the next Nashville meet. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,003 of 12,087
  Just early impressions:

hows the treble?

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,004 of 12,087
Don't have them with me now that I'm at the office but a few more impressions thoughts:

These headphones remind me a lot of the first time I heard M50's. The bass is the star, it hits hard and provides a very fun punch that makes the listen pretty engaging. Whereas the M50 bass just became muddy and thumpy to my ears as I began to hear higher tier equipment I would say the bass on these compete with the best that I've heard. I'd not ready to throw away my heavily modded D2000's (markl mod, angle pads, wood cups) these certainly do compete. To my ears, the bass is better and more accurate on these but lacks a bit of the sparkle in the treble that i like.

Comfort hasn't been an issue for me, though admittedly I have smaller ears and mine fit completely within the cups with no issues. There are fairly snug though which can get a little warm with longer sessions. Was never sweaty or felt the need to remove them to relieve head pressure though.

Soundstage is pretty small, intimate, whichever word you'd prefer. To my ears it's not the type of small that bothers me. Side-by-side with my HD800's the difference is night and day but of course that's an unfair comparison. I haven't A/B-ed it enough against the D2000's but I would place the soundstage as slightly smaller than those. You certainly won't mistake them for open headphones but that's not exactly a damning statement.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,006 of 12,087
  Marantz HD-DAC1 & MAD EAR+

I don't want to get your hopes up
biggrin.gif
 but for me the mid are better with a bit better separation between all the instruments.I have a feeling you will be impressed.

Hi-Z or Low-Z output?  What's the output resistance on the Low-Z anyway on the Ear+?  Can't find that anywhere.  If the high is 7, I'm guessing the low is around 1 Ohm, which would make your observations make a lot of sense to me.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #2,008 of 12,087
  Has everyone received info on their purchase yet? I paid on Nov 30th and I have heard nothing?

contact customer support 415 - 340 - 2999.  Everybody should have gotten some sort of shipping notification at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back