1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142
Next

Last
  1. moedawg140 Contributor

Thanks for the impressions!

2. sghound

thank you.

can't wait for this.

3. moedawg140 Contributor

For sure. More thoughts of how the TH-X00 sounds with the m9XX are in my review (located in my signature [as of this posting], profile and 4th post of thread).

4. sghound

yep.

that was how i got poorer.

but hopefully happier.

5. moedawg140 Contributor

Definitely happier. YOLO! :beerchug:

6. sghound

and my 1st test album i gonna put da combo thru is The Game's Docu 2

7. moedawg140 Contributor

Oh snap. Anything Kendrick Lamar is on point as well.

8. sghound

hell yeah k-dot!

9. moedawg140 Contributor

Fo sho, but he doesn't go by that anymore.

Notorious Thugs is also a good one too as you can hear the melodies alternate between left and right sides of the TH-X00 with utter smoothness - sounds legit.

10. sghound

thx for da recs.

gonna check it out.

11. notfitforpublic
    Wait... We're just gonna ignore that moedawg just tried to being back YOLO? Seriously? We're letting that go? :wink:

moedawg140 likes this.
  12. luvmusik
    Gave a quick test listen to mine today and under a time crunch only could hear a few go-to fave tunes. Not bad, but surprised.

After listening I read the short impressions & reviews here from those who just got theirs; I had earlier read the 3 or 4 reviews that were pre-sale before any were shipped out.

In agreement exactly with the findings of James, Matt and Kali on these. I read their impressions after I listened to mine.

Possibly some burn-in time of 100 to 150 hours may help. I immediately heard the wooliness of bass, slightly indistinct there, and mediocre midrange. Highs seem very good, characteristic of biocell. Biocell was the selling point for me, not the wood cups, which may contribute to the wooly bass. But, this is right out of the box, and maybe the bass will tighten up.

Wasn't expecting linearity, yet the bass is pretty strong, maybe heavier than balanced, and highs are pretty much right, but midrange is on the fence for me. Need more time to explore soundstage & imaging.

Light years away from my CD-3000 which have biocell drivers and composite cups, but didn't expect any competiton vs the fine Sony, which sold at $400 new at end production. Haven't heard the biocellulose models from Denon, Nighthawk, other Fostex or Creative. The only other set of comparative biocell drivers I have are in a really inexpensive Panasonic RP-HX650, an entry set of cans that aren't bad but are the opposite of sturdy construction (good sound for a few dollars).

Guessing these TH-X00 are really in the comparative <$400 range, not above (HD-600 sell at $400, open back); but, for woodies at this price with biocell drivers, I am happy to have them. Also grabbed HiFiMan HE-400i planar during the $300 Thanksgiving run & gave them a quik once-over. Much different and need more listening. An interesting test vs these Fostex may be my wood Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A, which I am also fond of. Feel the HD650 are a full step above the TH-X00. The only other Fostex I own are the T20RPv2 (vintage, not new MKII), planar, which I could runoff against with more time. Yamaha YH-100 planar & my others may be too different signatures to compare.

Have to say, if folks are looking for nice-looking wood headphones, headsound.de (Germany, and not affiliated) have reduced their Fischer Audio Jubilate High Edition and 64 version for EURO 70 now, shipping is not bad to USA, but takes 6 weeks. Today's conversion rate is only $76 for those as the euro is way down currently. I had grabbed the 64 Padauk and High Edition Peruvian Walnut and am pleased, got them awhile ago at this price. They have Padauk, Walnut, Tiama (similar to Mahogany), Jatoba (cherry), and Khaya (real African Mahogany). Online a 5 EURO off coupon code pops up to save more, or if you sign up for email alerts at headsound, you get the same 5 EURO off code on a purchase. Padauk may have sold out. A nice sounding headphone (and realize the driver source), but very nicely finished for the price, and earcups are very large, the woods are beautiful, comes with both velour & pleather earpads in a nice case & box too. Not pushing them, just sayin' a good value. Shipping to east coast USA was 32 EURO ($35 today's rate).

So, my impressions are the same as a few others on the Fostex, for me, a lot more hours are needed running them for any further reports. Feel the same as James, Matt and Kali heard the TH-X00.

Astral Abyss likes this.
  13. moedawg140 Contributor

Anytime!

Enjoy your TH-X00! :bigsmile_face:

14. fjrabon

Yeah, the combination of the very high tesla number plus the low impedance means they are current hungry. Every driver that has ever used this design has been current hungry. My statement was based partly on the specs, but mostly on experience with this driver design going back to the D7000 through the TH series.

15. oqvist
    Shipping information refuse to update. Still says on the way to the distribution centre. Hope it means it´s on the way abroad and thus no more tracking but doubt it :p

First

Back
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142
Next

Last