Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,651 of 12,086

Shh! These are superior! I also recall hearing someone say they like the TH900 over Stax because of lack of bass on electrostatics, so that means these are better than Stax!
eek.gif
Also I heard someone say Stax SR-009 has better technicalities than Orpheus so ultimately TH-X00 > Orpheus, probably Orpheus 2 as well (someone said the price on those were jacked up mostly for the marble, plus mahogany > marble imo). Ok expectations set. Anything less than Orpheus 2 and I will be disappointed.

rolleyes.gif

If they aren't better than the Orpheus 2, MD better PAY me to use these headphones!

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,654 of 12,086
People get way too caught up in the 'it costs more so must be better'

Here I am listening to these $60 Grado SR60e's I just got off massdrop and think they're 90%+ of any Grado I've heard/own.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,655 of 12,086
Hey guys, can anyone make a portable DAC/AMP recommendation? Sources: iphone6 & macbook pro.

Headphones and IEM: Fostex TH-X00 and Sony XBA-Z5.
Main requirements: portability, direct line in (lighting port) on the iphone 6 (preferably without needing to use a CCK), and of course enough sound quality improvement to make it worth carrying another device along with me. I have itunes Music, but if it makes more sense to switch to spotify or tidal to go with an android based DAP I'm not against that.

Goals, to be able to make the most out of the headphone and IEM i'm using. I prefer a neutral / transparent rendition of the headphone/iem signature

So far on the radar are Cozoy Aegis, and Oppo HA-2... potentially the Sony PHA-1A but I've never used a DAC/AMP before with my headphones so I want to make sure that it's worth the extra money.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,656 of 12,086
Mine came in too. The SR60e is disgustingly good for its retail price

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,657 of 12,086
Hey guys, can anyone make a portable DAC/AMP recommendation? Sources: iphone6 & macbook pro.

Headphones and IEM: Fostex TH-X00 and Sony XBA-Z5.

Main requirements: portability, direct line in (lighting port) on the iphone 6 (preferably without needing to use a CCK), and of course enough sound quality improvement to make it worth carrying another device along with me. I have itunes Music, but if it makes more sense to switch to spotify or tidal to go with an android based DAP I'm not against that.

Goals, to be able to make the most out of the headphone and IEM i'm using. I prefer a neutral / transparent rendition of the headphone/iem signature

So far on the radar are Cozoy Aegis, and Oppo HA-2... potentially the Sony PHA-1A but I've never used a DAC/AMP before with my headphones so I want to make sure that it's worth the extra money.

While not familiar with their current lineup, I found an incredible increase in clarity playing through fiio's Eo7K using an LOD as opposed to coming straight out of my iPod touch 3rd gen. I can really recommend their products, as it felt solid and was completely metal.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,662 of 12,086
That's what a dude on the MD thread threw a hissy fit about, lol.

The MD discussion board is quite ridiculous and, at times, amusing. I'm not sure what I'd think about the hi-fi/head-fi/audiophile community if this drop was my first experience and interaction. Luckily, you and a few others on the MD thread are keeping it real and interjecting some reason. Keep up the good words and reasonable thoughts. 

beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,663 of 12,086
The THX00 was unanimously well received in the Seattle meet today.
"They hit it out of park. "
"Exceptional value."
"Can't wait to get mine."
"Wow"

They better be. It's a $600 headphone retuned to be more neutral and audiophile. It better be "out of the park" with it at $400

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,664 of 12,086
The THX00 was unanimously well received in the Seattle meet today.
"They hit it out of park. "
"Exceptional value."
"Can't wait to get mine."
"Wow"

Awesome, and good to hear! I'm really looking forward to receiving mine.

On another note, my wife and I are hoping to move back to Seattle (or Portland) fairly soon. We relocated to Pittsburgh for grad school and such, but it's time to move back. I'll be sure to attend some meet's after we find our way back. We're really missing the PNW! 

Looking forward to further impressions. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,665 of 12,086
how big are the Seattle meets? Worth traveling down fro Vancouver for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back