Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,681 of 12,070
Well now that you put it like that I'll explain a bit more, even though this is an LC thread.

The Fostex TH-X00 was everything that's bad about the Audeze EL-8 in a closed back version: humongous mid-bass hump, severely rolled off on both ends, total void of impact and refinement, small stage. It was the worst sound I've heard in many months and would much rather take a Beats 'can, seriously. This was however a prototype, yet I'd doubt the final version is drastically different. Also without naming any names, I do believe there are powers that be here that say everything sounds wonderful for reasons other than hobby. And that is as much as I feel I can say without taking backlash. Please try it first.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,682 of 12,070
RE the Fostex TH-X00 I really want to say for the love of the hobby, please don't jump on this hype train - try this one before buying it! It's an extremely polarizing headphone. I have tried it (source is confidential) and I hated the sound so much I wouldn't buy it if I were paid 

PS- please just take what I said at face value because, for relationship purposes I don't feel I should elaborate any further. Just try it first 

I don't know if I would call a collaborative $400 headphone extremely polarising or bad for the hobby. $400 power cords, magical rocks and bits of wood on the other hand...

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,683 of 12,070
  Well now that you put it like that I'll explain a bit more, even though this is an LC thread.

The Fostex TH-X00 was everything that's bad about the Audeze EL-8 in a closed back version: humongous mid-bass hump, severely rolled off on both ends, total void of impact and refinement, small stage. It was the worst sound I've heard in many months and would much rather take a Beats 'can, seriously. This was however a prototype, yet I'd doubt the final version is drastically different. Also without naming any names, I do believe there are powers that be here that say everything sounds wonderful for reasons other than hobby. And that is as much as I feel I can say without taking backlash. Please try it first.

From what I understand the TH-X00 is just a modified TH-600 (same driver, different pads/enclosure). A big problem is there just aren't that many good closed back headphones under $1k it seems like. I settled on the EL-8C and it's alright (with some EQ) and is great for isolation. Without going over $1k (for the Ether or etc.) what would you recommend?

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,684 of 12,070
  Look at these used TH-X00 prices... 390usd, 380usd.  People have absolutely no shame!

Does anyone know what's the word with Lawton Audio modding? I know Marv's review mentioned to not do it in an emphatic way. With some searching, it seems the big gripe is mostly good professional reviews that sound like paid ads, and some people saying the company over exaggerates the improvements and it's not worth the money. But do they make the Fostex headphones sound worse or worsen the technicalities? Some of the wood sure looks pretty. Makes the mahogany on these look like rubbish. Especially love the black ebony, spalted maple, and bocote.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostexchambersgallery1.html

Interestingly, Mark mentioned that his mods are applicable to the TH X00, I turned him down as I'm already having my LA D5k tightented [screw wise] an pad swapped. Still he informed me that his mods can be applied. Not sure what differance they'd make. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,687 of 12,070
  Look at these used TH-X00 prices... 390usd, 380usd.  People have absolutely no shame!

well it's not for profit so that's ... nice

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,688 of 12,070

I don't see anything wrong with that price? what's so shameful about it?  People decided the HPs are not for them, used for less than a couple hours isn't really used.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,689 of 12,070

Hahaha. Tell me about it.

You actually expect them to sell the cans for $300 because they used them for a few hours?!?!? I don't get it!
Shame on you!

:p

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,690 of 12,070

oh shoot lol I have been following both threads. 

I thought this was the other thread my bad....kinda find it hard to believe though.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,693 of 12,070
I like the Shure 1540. Also the FAD Pandora Hope VI (this one has lovers and haters). I thought about getting the Fostex X00, didn't go for it because I already have more headphones than I can listen to, and use the HE-1000 most of the time anyway. I can't argue with the "listen first" advice, always a good idea if you can, though I don't see how it is possible for most of us with a Massdrop exclusive offer. Pretty much have to go by consensus, and roll the dice. And, the consensus, from what I've read (haven't heard it) is overwhelmingly positive. It's a bit like crowd funding...you go for what will be a great deal if it works out, but you're taking a chance since it really can't be auditioned.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,694 of 12,070

You actually expect them to sell the cans for $300 because they used them for a few hours?!?!? I don't get it!
Shame on you!

:p

I agree with you here.  This is a headphone which cannot be purchased anywhere...brand new, for the most part (definitely "in mint condition").  If i don't like this model I will probably sell it for $399 including shipping (I had to pay taxes since I'm in California).    I would not be forcing anyone to buy the headphone -- if the price is shameful, interested buyers can ignore the sales post and just wait for the next drop.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,695 of 12,070
Note to self for me, ignore next hype drop, purchase later through classified here, will get faster shipping and saving on tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back