Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #8,296 of 12,086
  So... If I were to upgrade my DAC does the Modi Multibit sound like a good idea? Is there a substantial difference between that one and the Uber? And yes I did search the Modi Multibit threads but it's giving me the spins. Also, should that DAC be enough for the Purpleheart's or should I purchase the Magni 2 alongside the DAC?

you will need to buy some kind of amp, as the Modi multibit (or any Schiit DAC for that matter) can't directly power headphones.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #8,297 of 12,086
  So... If I were to upgrade my DAC does the Modi Multibit sound like a good idea? Is there a substantial difference between that one and the Uber? And yes I did search the Modi Multibit threads but it's giving me the spins. Also, should that DAC be enough for the Purpleheart's or should I purchase the Magni 2 alongside the DAC?

From what I've been reading, the Modi Multibit is a serious piece of kit that not many other DACs can touch for under $500+ If you are willing to get one, then I'd say go for it.  I'm looking into Integrated myself, as I'd like my unit to power my headphones and speakers.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #8,298 of 12,086
I have been thinking of picking up a Schiit Bifrost for a laptop based system since I already have a Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp that is used with my SACD player. Digital files are much more convenient compared to CD's, and with no loss in quality. Everything I've been listening to with the Purplehearts with has been FLAC files off from my tablet output via DFR USB DAC/amp.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8,299 of 12,086
Thats properbly more layer of coats on the W3000ANV.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #8,300 of 12,086
I have been thinking of picking up a Schiit Bifrost for a laptop based system since I already have a Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp that is used with my SACD player. Digital files are much more convenient compared to CD's, and with no loss in quality. Everything I've been listening to with the Purplehearts with has been FLAC files off from my tablet output via DFR USB DAC/amp.

Nice amp. I would choose the Modi Multibit over any iteration of the Bifrost currently available. Schiit is going to announce something big this month, so even better, perhaps just be patient to see what it is.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #8,307 of 12,086
we've been hearing a lot of complaints about the PH's build quality and aesthetics, and not so many people have received a perfect condition headphone and commented about it.
I wonder what the real proportions are... horrible vs. perfect finish

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #8,308 of 12,086
I like these enough, that I'd be interested in doing some of the Lawton mods (maybe even cups). I'm definitely going to do the SMC mod at some point. I just wish someone would post the part numbers...so I don't buy the wrong stuff. haha.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #8,309 of 12,086
Ok, so i have my Purple Heart TH-X00 for some days now, here are my observations:

-Mine don't have cosmetics problem. Maybe i didn't check enough, but the only 'bubble wrap' mark i can see is when i check them with a flashlight, and even then, i didn't  wipe them, so maybe they are only exterior. Those head phone are gorgeous in my own opinion.

-They are , probably like most headphone, subject to good instalation on the head. If the headband is not on top of my head, there is some  loss in bass, wich, i admit, in some circumstance could be a good thing as...

-..they are bass monster. I come from AKG 601 and Shure SE425, my brain still have some burn in to do to process those in your face sub bass. Does are realy 'fun' headphones, as the frequency is like a smile in an EQ. I love them for engaging beats, and movies with sound effects(WOW!) For critical listening...they do miss the mids a little compare to my others headphones, but i did  buyed those headphones for bass and fun, not for detailed mids.

Over all, i'm realy happy with my purchase. I did my listening mostly on my Grace Desing/Massdrop M9xx and on Fiio X3(the two where realy good), and on Samsung S5(as with others headphone, just ok, but lack  of bass/overall substance).

I propose to you some bass intensive music(the real bassy part begin at 1m20s):

https://youtu.be/bwmSjveL3Lc

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #8,310 of 12,086
  I like these enough, that I'd be interested in doing some of the Lawton mods (maybe even cups). I'm definitely going to do the SMC mod at some point. I just wish someone would post the part numbers...so I don't buy the wrong stuff. haha.

here are the SMC connectors: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7368&keywords=smc
Just remember that you will need to file down the center pin a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Back