Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #8,328 of 12,086
the cardboard box that arrived came looking like it was crushed under something heavy. luckily the actual headphone box is safe. this is my first time with DHL and if i ever were to ship packages, DHL isn't even going to be on my list of couriers.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #8,331 of 12,086
It will be swell if massdrop offer different types of woods cups in the future for sale. I luv to have a collection of wood cups cater to sound preference.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #8,332 of 12,086
Here's a few tracks I've used to test the bass extension & quantity on the PHs:
https://soundcloud.com/electrostepnetwork/oscillatorz-specifically_esn
https://soundcloud.com/stephenwalking/stephen-walking-hyper-potions-saturday-morning-space-ride
https://soundcloud.com/maxdmusic/ray-volpe-by-your-side-maxd-remix-1

On a flat EQ, it's not all that impressive, but since the PHs respond so well to EQing, I pushed the sub-100Hz frequencies all the way up and WOW is it satisfying to feel the bass rumble 
basshead.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #8,333 of 12,086
  Just received my TH-X00 Purpleheart and is rather disappointed with the overall quality of the finish. Not just the wooden cups, there was some glue residue on the swivel arm and have already damaged the paint work there.

The "gloss" on the Purpleheart can be only be described as hazy compared to my other wooden headphone. The wooden cups have horrible orange peel, uneven lacquering and small dents on both sides.

Ok, so I've been critiquing Massdrop heavily for their poor finish, but this was just a stupid comparison:

"Traditional Echizen lacquer-finished Hokkaido Asada cherry" against something "Made in China"... well, duh!

Why on god's green earth did you not compare these to the TH-900 with the "Urushi" finish instead? That might have been interesting!

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #8,337 of 12,086
Dang nabbit. I listened to these on my Denon AVR-687 (Oldie, but I like the sound of it). The headphone out always sounded decent to me. On the PH, it sounded ok. I listened to Elliot Yamin "You are the one". It sounded pretty good. I plugged the PH into my Vali 2 (stock tube) being fed by the Modi 2 Uber (No Multi-bit yet)... and it sounded cleaner, better, more authoritative. The more I listen to the PH, the more I like them. I guess, I'm still on the hunt for an Integrated amp that has good speaker out and headphone (headphone more important) for my listening room. The Denon won't be going in there with me. I intend to keep the PH in my collection (I rotate headphones every year or so).

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #8,338 of 12,086
The plastic part of the cable splitter keeps hooking underneath the table, which in turn puts tension on the cables connected to the left/right cups. Are these cables connected firmly to the cups, or will they easily loosen over time? Due to cables being non removeable, it stresses me out that the plastic part of the Y splitter keeps getting stuck.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #8,339 of 12,086
  The plastic part of the cable splitter keeps hooking underneath the table, which in turn puts tension on the cables connected to the left/right cups. Are these cables connected firmly to the cups, or will they easily loosen over time? Due to cables being non removeable, it stresses me out that the plastic part of the Y splitter keeps getting stuck.

They are very well connected.

However that was one of the reasons I had the detachable cable mod done.  When it catches, it just unplugs hopefully saving that stress on the cable.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #8,340 of 12,086

I had the same problem, and fixed it by using a hardening putty to streamline the shape of that junction. I think I posted a photo of that 2-3 months ago on this thread. If you don't see it, I'll repost it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back