Fostex to release revolutionary DAC/amp combo!
Nov 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #63 of 173
So they went for the design that doesn't incorporate the thick metal iPhone enclosure. That's smart. If it will include instead the soft pack in the picture, that is a nice setup.

Now... how does it sound???

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #64 of 173
do want!!
aaarrggh, actually just spotted it has a volume knob, I was thinking it was just a transport, why must they keep on including things I dont need
frown.gif
I just want a device to get the digital out from ipod plain and simple, I do not want to pay for a dac and amp I wont use. oh well, guess i'm sticking to the iriver then

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #65 of 173
Fostex portable dac/amp sounded remarkably good. I thought this is like a small HP-A7. The portable inherit Fostex sound signature that is flat and neutral. Especially great with edition8.

Quote:
So they went for the design that doesn't incorporate the thick metal iPhone enclosure. That's smart. If it will include instead the soft pack in the picture, that is a nice setup.

Now... how does it sound???

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #66 of 173
From the pictures, it also seems to have an USB input on the back (assuming it is for PC) and a line-in on the front. If it is so, that will be very smart for Fostex to make an amp that is compatible to iPod/iPhone as well as most other devices out there.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #67 of 173
Hmmm, this doesn't look so interesting anymore now that it isn't integrated with the iPod anymore.  It looks bigger than the algorythm solo, its more expensive ($800), and probably won't sound as good (just a hunch).  I think the really high Yen is also working again it in the US at least.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #69 of 173
Quote:
Hmmm, this doesn't look so interesting anymore now that it isn't integrated with the iPod anymore.  It looks bigger than the algorythm solo, its more expensive ($800), and probably won't sound as good (just a hunch).  I think the really high Yen is also working again it in the US at least.

SQ between this and the Solo is anyone's guess at this point.

The Solo is a DAC and coaxial out only. This is also an amp.

Do we know if the Fostex has both a line out and coaxial out?

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #72 of 173
Does anyone know if digital input is from an iPod only or will it accept USB from a computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back