Fostex to release revolutionary DAC/amp combo!
Aug 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #166 of 173

Quote:
They're selling them for $649 (list price: $799) and they seem to be finally trickling into the U.S.  I'm getting mine this afternoon according to UPS.  So hopefully you should start seeing some impressions.  Don't hold your breath for mine though.  
tongue.gif

I'm very anxious to hear your impressions as i'm also considering this product as an alternative to a CLAS + external amp. Out of curiosity, what will you be comparing it too for reference?

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #167 of 173

Quote:
I'm very anxious to hear your impressions as i'm also considering this product as an alternative to a CLAS + external amp. Out of curiosity, what will you be comparing it too for reference?

What did I just say?  ("Don't hold your breath..."
tongue.gif
  j/k!!!

I would probably compare it to my iQube and E7.  I just got the iQube, so I'm actually still getting familiar with its sound.  But I think I have a pretty good feel for it.  BIG DISCLAIMER:  Not to push an agenda- just to let you know what my experiences have been so we're on the same page:  So far from what I've heard, the differences between amps and even the iPod headphone outs on IEMs is fairly small to me.  Sometimes I can A/B them reliably- sometimes not.  I doubt I'd be able to pick one out on its own (reliably).  IEMs and headphones are a different story (for me).  Anyway, hopefully I'll try to share some quick thoughts shortly! 

It did arrive this morning and I played with it a bit- just to make sure it wasn't DOA or anything.  So far, I LOVE the build quality!  It seems to recognize and sync with the iPod (Touch 4G) quick enough for me not to notice.  The volume knob is smooth and much easier to turn than on the iQube, which I feel is a bit stiff.  But that's probably good for a portable.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #168 of 173

Quote:
What did I just say?  ("Don't hold your breath..."
tongue.gif
  j/k!!!

I would probably compare it to my iQube and E7.  I just got the iQube, so I'm actually still getting familiar with its sound.  But I think I have a pretty good feel for it.  BIG DISCLAIMER:  Not to push an agenda- just to let you know what my experiences have been so we're on the same page:  So far from what I've heard, the differences between amps and even the iPod headphone outs on IEMs is fairly small to me.  Sometimes I can A/B them reliably- sometimes not.  I doubt I'd be able to pick one out on its own (reliably).  IEMs and headphones are a different story (for me).  Anyway, hopefully I'll try to share some quick thoughts shortly! 

It did arrive this morning and I played with it a bit- just to make sure it wasn't DOA or anything.  So far, I LOVE the build quality!  It seems to recognize and sync with the iPod (Touch 4G) quick enough for me not to notice.  The volume knob is smooth and much easier to turn than on the iQube, which I feel is a bit stiff.  But that's probably good for a portable.

The suspense is killing me :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #172 of 173
Has anyone been able to compare the stock Fostex LOD to USB cable against ALO or Moon Audio Silver Dragons?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #173 of 173
I have an ALO Cryo 18 Silver LOD cable, but it's not really comparable because that's an analog LOD cable whereas the HP-P1 utilizes a USB docking cable.  This would not be an apples to apples comparison because one setup relies on the iDevice's built-in DAC whereas the second setup utilizes the HP-P1's 32-bit Wolfson DAC.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back