Fostex to release revolutionary DAC/amp combo!
May 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #32 of 173
May 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #33 of 173
hmm, not sure what to make of that. having it all built in like that is cool I guess, but doesnt look like it saved them any space and you are stuck with the amp that is inside of course. hmm I still like separates so I can tune the sound to how I like and I actually think with the new ipad dock, there will be iphone/touch functionality soon enough. you can sure make a smaller amp/dac than that minus the iphone bulk, its not a market I would enter into yet, there will be competition driving the price down and quality up

May 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 173

Quote:
The price is currently announced as around 70000 yen (almost US$700).

wow..that's a bit steep. hopefully the price will go down.

May 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #37 of 173
=\

May 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #38 of 173
lol, and still no announcement as to what is inside? 

May 10, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #39 of 173
well, though the price is a bit steep, I'm still hopeful. 
I've been looking at a decent dac and if this thing can deliver, might just be willing to part with my wallet..lol
depending on how this thing will sound, it might offer a better value than the hifiman 801 - better storage capacity, better UI, longer battery etc. yeah I know they are different as one is a player and the fostex isn't but as it stands hi-fiman has too many compromises for a player...
an alternative is to just get a small dac but tbh I hate listening with my computer when travelling. battery life too short, much bigger size etc. the fostex will make it a nice source +dac for me. and I view the amp as extra. if it's good sounding thats great, but if not no worries as i will use my own portable amp..

May 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 173
It looks like it's built to take some punishment.
It has this feel to it that I cannot put into words.

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 173
hang on....am I wrong to assume that fostex has already developed a small adaptor (LOD) to bypass the DAC from ipod by looking at this picture? and unless you need the fostex Dac/amp combo we can just get the LOD (digital lod? DLOD?) and hook it up to our existing Dac/amps....??
confused_face_2.gif

or is there a proprietor code access from the ipod within the amp that will not work with others..??

May 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #45 of 173
I think that those are just two different prototypes - a thick one with the connector built in and a thinner one which sits external to the iPhone. For the second one, I doubt that the USB electronics are all in that connection cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back