Fostex TH909 Announcement
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #46 of 217
Just sampled at RMAF. It looks closed but is definitely open. I can hear everything around me. The bass is strong and detailed and reminds me of the Abyss AB-1266. If you have heard the Abyss AB-1266, you know that the mid and treble are also detailed and this seems true of the TH909 as well. Here's the kicker: LOW IMPEDANCE! I plugged into my ifi xDSD and heard thunderous detail at mid gain settings. I'm sure the headphone output of my cell phone will drive it but presume that detail would be lost as well. A beauty like the TH909 deserves to be driven with a better dac and amp. Anyway, RMAF is a noisy setting so I'll need to purchase before I can form a better opinion.
Just sampled at RMAF. It looks closed but is definitely open. I can hear everything around me. The bass is strong and detailed and reminds me of the Abyss AB-1266. If you have heard the Abyss AB-1266, you know that the mid and treble are also detailed and this seems true of the TH909 as well. Here's the kicker: LOW IMPEDANCE! I plugged into my ifi xDSD and heard thunderous detail at mid gain settings. I'm sure the headphone output of my cell phone will drive it but presume that detail would be lost as well. A beauty like the TH909 deserves to be driven with a better dac and amp. Anyway, RMAF is a noisy setting so I'll need to purchase before I can form a better opinion.
Thanks for the impression. Do you also have experience with the th900? If so, can you compare it to the th909?

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 217
Thanks for the impression. Do you also have experience with the th900? If so, can you compare it to the th909?

I have not yet listened to the TH900. I have a very good planar closed headphone and was shopping for an open headphone. I also listened to Audeze LCD-4z, and the HiFi-Man HE-1000se as they are low impedance open cans. Each has great attributes. Unfortunately, CanJam at RMAF is not the place for A-B of open headphones. It's just too noisy. Likewise, I don't think it would be fair to compare the TH900 and the TH909 at CanJam because the ambient noise would put the TH909 at a disadvantage. That said, I'll purchase the TH909 when released because expect it will deliver greater detail of instruments and soundstage than my present closed headphones. I'll need to have the TH909 in my own environment and audition for hours rather than minutes to say more.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #48 of 217
I have not yet listened to the TH900. I have a very good planar closed headphone and was shopping for an open headphone. I also listened to Audeze LCD-4z, and the HiFi-Man HE-1000se as they are low impedance open cans. Each has great attributes. Unfortunately, CanJam at RMAF is not the place for A-B of open headphones. It's just too noisy. Likewise, I don't think it would be fair to compare the TH900 and the TH909 at CanJam because the ambient noise would put the TH909 at a disadvantage. That said, I'll purchase the TH909 when released because expect it will deliver greater detail of instruments and soundstage than my present closed headphones. I'll need to have the TH909 in my own environment and audition for hours rather than minutes to say more.
Well said, I'm eagerly awaiting your impression when you get a pair.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #49 of 217
I know it was noisy but anymore 909 impressions ?

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #50 of 217
I know it was noisy but anymore 909 impressions ?
I went to the show to audition open headphones between $1500 and $4000. All were plugged into big amps I can't travel with. Even with the big amps, the sound did not tip me over the edge so I would want to make a purchase.

I wasn't considering the Fostex TH909 as I didn't know about it. I plugged the TH909 into my ifi xDSD and had a great demo despite the noisy hall. I heard greater detail and soundstage. I asked if they were broke in and was told "no".

We all look forward to the TH909 hitting the market and being tested by more ears and with various amps. At this point, the mystery overshadows the known :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #51 of 217
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #52 of 217
From KaiserTK in the dark dimension

"
TH909 was a bit disappointing for me since I was looking forward to the bass slam of the TH900, but I think some will prefer this one. What I heard was a more neutral sound: relatively calmed treble and dampened bass with slightly better imaging. Vocals were significantly more natural sounding and listening to jazz felt more like a live performance inside a jazz club. However perceived soundstage was a bit smaller and there was less sub-bass extension (although mid bass was a bit more prominent).
TLDR: I liked the Aeolus a bit better, but YMMV."

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #53 of 217
Oct 17, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #54 of 217
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #55 of 217
They clearly state that the 909 is brighter than the 800S. The 800S is already considered a tad too bright for most. So the 909 is going to be just as shrill as the 900. No thanks. I’ll take a hard pass now.

I wonder if there will be a TH606? If it fixes the midrange hole of TH600 I would be very interested. I personally like that brightness so that wouldn't be too problematic .

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #56 of 217
They clearly state that the 909 is brighter than the 800S. The 800S is already considered a tad too bright for most. So the 909 is going to be just as shrill as the 900. No thanks. I’ll take a hard pass now.
800S Bright ? not for me
But yes the 900 with stock pads are a bit bright so i did pad swap and its just perfect.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #58 of 217
They clearly state that the 909 is brighter than the 800S. The 800S is already considered a tad too bright for most. So the 909 is going to be just as shrill as the 900. No thanks. I’ll take a hard pass now
I agree with you on this, it's like he got the two HP"s mixed up during the review. Everything he said about the th-909 sounded like the description of the 800s , to me anyway. However, we all hear different and have different amp & dac systems, so I would not wright off the th-909 until I have heard it for myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back