Fostex TH909 Announcement
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 217
I have a (Lawson modded) TH900, so I will be very interested to knowhow the 909 compare to them.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 217
I literally bought a pair of the first gen th900's today and now I see this.. :/

Well, since they will most likely leak even more sound I guess the th900 are a better match for me.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 217
PDF says to increase the sound field. I knew there was a reason headphones were open. For the open sound feel, and also to get rid of the cup resonance, which the PDF states as well. In terms of sound, it seems like basically they made it into more of an open-back.

Although, Fostex headphones are referred to as semi-open, they are still cupped, and not really open, which is the reason why the bass sounds the way it does. I have the TH-X00 Ebony, and I can't complain about the cupped bass (I actually prefer the cupped bass sound of them over open-back bass). I think imaging, soundstage, and low-bass is the real trade-off between open and closed.

I think Fostex bass is to be experienced (it is distinctive enough to warrant a hear, and may change perspective on headphone bass). I didn't really take bass as significant consideration until I heard a Fostex.

I don't know if it's possible to have a headphone with such bass quality that is very open sounding. Now, that would be an engineering feat!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 217
Heard them at the show today. I think they sounded better than the TH900, sound was nice and smooth.
I hope you're right, because the TH900's are the exact opposite of 'nice and smooth'. :confounded:

But I love the way the TH-X00 and the TH-610 sound, so there is hope. :grin:

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 217
I hope you're right, because the TH900's are the exact opposite of 'nice and smooth'. :confounded:

You mean that TH-900s are bad and rough, but I do love the sound being good with souring high that gives me griping joy.
The opinions are polarized right now, which is a typical thing regarding th-900s.
The bass of th-900s are never overflowing to neither onto mids, which is really good characteristics so that the known good bass is some times tried to get even boosted for even more bass.

I think th-900s does already good corners of the sonic cathedral, while upcoming phones can take another corner of the building.
In this way they compliments each other and makes good sonic world together.
I don't expect an perfect phones which can not be exist, but we do all reasonably wait another sonic charm which attracts many people as was the case of many well known phones like LCD2, Nighthawk, or Takstar pro-82 regardless of price range.
There is no standard characteristics measure as iso standard in industries to define the best phones with numbers, perhaps forever.

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 217

I'm so happy whenever I see love for the TH-610, it was my first "mid-fi" pair and my first Fostex that ushered me into their brand. A really underappreciated can in my opinion. Can't wait to know more about about the Th-909 tho.

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 217
So, basically they took headphones developed 6 years ago, made it open-back which acoustically more optimal & easier for achieving good sound - and here we go, you need to pay a grand for almost the same production model <_<.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 217
More new pics.

ECT0814_10_909_1.jpg

ECT0814_11_909_2.jpg

ECT0814_12_909_3.jpg

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 217
yep look like its foam

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #29 of 217
Hey man, unrelated somewhat but how are those blue th900? How do they differ from the red th900mk2?
Exactly like a new un burned TH-900 .. i cant hear major difference from my memory with my red when it was new
i did some burn in for 250-300 hrs and its getting closer to my long used Red TH900 which sound warmer and have looser bass
blue 900 is my backup pair so i stopped using it and i dont know if it will be much different when used for linger time ,
to me it is the same headphone.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #30 of 217
Exactly like a new un burned TH-900 .. i cant hear major difference from my memory with my red when it was new
i did some burn in for 250-300 hrs and its getting closer to my long used Red TH900 which sound warmer and have looser bass
blue 900 is my backup pair so i stopped using it and i dont know if it will be much different when used for linger time ,
to me it is the same headphone.

Thanks for the impressions! Seems like it's not worth exploring over the original th900. If it did what Fostex said it would do, I think it'd be a real winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back