Fostex TH909 Announcement
Oct 14, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #211 of 217
I've had a Meze Elite delivered today. The plan was to sell up everything else and just have one good all-rounder...

That was the plan. Even the Elite can't hold a candle to the 909 when it comes to female vocals. Just asked my wife to compare them as well (she's not a headphone person). The Elite made her smile when I put Kate Bush on, the 909 made her say "wow".

So looks like I'll be selling up everything except the 909.
Interesting, have you tried to compare this vs ATH ADX5000, i hardly can audition this 909 since it's hard to find here, but as far as my listening experience, the only open headphone in this category (up to 2000 usd) than can handle female vocal best imo (not hearing 909 yet but im still trying), i just want your opinion just for reference since i didnot like meze elite either, thanks.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #212 of 217
Interesting, have you tried to compare this vs ATH ADX5000, i hardly can audition this 909 since it's hard to find here, but as far as my listening experience, the only open headphone in this category (up to 2000 usd) than can handle female vocal best imo (not hearing 909 yet but im still trying), i just want your opinion just for reference since i didnot like meze elite either, thanks.
I haven't tried the ATH sorry.

I've tried plenty of headphones that had great female vocals. HD600, Arya, ZMF Auteur, being a few examples. But without doubt the 909 is king of the hill.

I couldn't own it as my only headphone, as it's very V shaped. It also needs an amp dac setup that smooths off the edges (sabre dacs are generally too edgy, Mojo 2 is great). The energy can be amazing though.

The Meze Elite is a funny beast. I love it, but I need a better setup for it. The Mojo 2 softens it too much. Insanely my SoundblasterX G6 pairs better with it. I think it needs some edge from something like a sabre dac.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #213 of 217
Giving this thread a bump. I just picked up a set of TH-909's yesterday and I'm giving them a go today. My initial chain is iFi Zen Stream => Shiit Yggdrasil A2 => Cen.Grand Silver Fox. I'm finding these headphones to be very impressive in performance and sound. Loving the bass response, speed, and clarity.

IMG_0998.jpeg

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #214 of 217
I just picked up a set of TH-909's yesterday and I'm giving them a go today.
I'm finding these headphones to be very impressive in performance and sound. Loving the bass response, speed, and clarity.
If you bought them new you will likely be even more impressed as you get some time on them and the drivers relax and settle in. Congratz on your pick-up!!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #215 of 217
If you bought them new you will likely be even more impressed as you get some time on them and the drivers relax and settle in. Congratz on your pick-up!!
Yes, I did buy them new. They’re impressive right out the box.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #216 of 217
Wildly underrated set of cans, snagged a cheap, low-miles demo unit at canjam and can't make myself take them off.

With a proper chain, there's stuff in my collection that has a lot more depth and sophistication, but these are the most fun pair at any price point. The comfort / performance / price ratio is insane. And everything else that's anywhere near the resolution that I own is way burlier, these can ride on my head for a whole work day straight.

The berylium driver isn't quite like anything else, it's miles less shrill than similar tech from HEDD, and lives right in between the dynamic slam of focal clears but with the depth of texture like planars and the open feel of a pair of Mezes or HD-600's crossed with a pair of nikes and a lambo. The semi-open back has a lot less sound bleed (and a little more sound isulation) than most other open backs in my collection. VS my brief experience with a pair of TH-900's, I think this helps the air be less piercing/shrill than the closed back 900's.

And they take a bass shelf of like 8db on the adi-2 without breaking a sweat, while also being pretty happy driven right off a phone dongle. Imagine if an lcd-x had 90% of the slam without needing any eq and being less than half the weight.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #217 of 217
Wildly underrated set of cans, snagged a cheap, low-miles demo unit at canjam and can't make myself take them off.

With a proper chain, there's stuff in my collection that has a lot more depth and sophistication, but these are the most fun pair at any price point. The comfort / performance / price ratio is insane. And everything else that's anywhere near the resolution that I own is way burlier, these can ride on my head for a whole work day straight.

The berylium driver isn't quite like anything else, it's miles less shrill than similar tech from HEDD, and lives right in between the dynamic slam of focal clears but with the depth of texture like planars and the open feel of a pair of Mezes or HD-600's crossed with a pair of nikes and a lambo. The semi-open back has a lot less sound bleed (and a little more sound isulation) than most other open backs in my collection. VS my brief experience with a pair of TH-900's, I think this helps the air be less piercing/shrill than the closed back 900's.

And they take a bass shelf of like 8db on the adi-2 without breaking a sweat, while also being pretty happy driven right off a phone dongle. Imagine if an lcd-x had 90% of the slam without needing any eq and being less than half the weight.
Yes, the TH-909's are truly a unique sounding headphone. They are not trying to be the most technical headphones out here. Yet they have enough technicalities to compete with other top tier headphones at their price point and somewhat above.

The TH-909's have top notch clarity and great instrument separation. I love their bass performance. It's deep, it's defined, it does not bleed, and I can't detect any bloat. Just awesome bass dynamics with great impact. Maybe the one overlooked aspect of the TH-909's is they actually have a midrange. It's not lush or creamy like ZMF or the old Audeze LCD series of headphones, but it very nuanced and fills the in the rest of the frequency spectrum unlike the TH-900 series. These are keepers and a fun addition to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back