Fostex TH-909 review
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

PACSman

Head-Fier
I just purchased and received the TH-909. This is not intended as a critical or extensive review. I think of it as a preview of an item you might want to consider listening to. No incentives were received for my purchase or for writing this opinion.

Early impressions:
· I plugged the TH-909 into a Techsun radio for 20 hours of warming up. My first impression was “when was the last time I heard good radio? This sounds really good!” This was also the first indication to me of how flexible the TH-909 will be for me.
· I then gave the TH-909 to my wife. She plugged it into her phone and walked away. It seemed like hours later when she returned and said “that is the best piece of audio equipment you have ever brought into this house.” She was listening with her cell phone.
· That leads to my first criticism. I only received an 11 ft cable terminated with a standard ¼” connector. This is a low impedance headphone and begs for portable use! I have already ordered a replacement cable so I can walk with my iFi xDSD.
· To get the TH-909 away from my “significant other approved”, I took the TH-909 on the road for listening.

My iFi xDSD feeds comfortable volumes at the low “green” setting for most of my listening.
o I hear more bass. It is clear and detailed.
o Detail of notes surpassed my expectations. The transition between the notes is exciting as I anticipate what may happen next.
o For grins, I measured the bass down to 20hz. At 17hz, I hear less bass but that may a flaw of the online tone generator. It might also be a flaw of my mortal ears.
o I also measured the treble to 17khz. Past that, I need turn up the volume. My ears don’t reach so high anymore.

Pop Artists:
· Armin van Buuren - Wild Wild Son (feat. Sam Martin).flac
· Diggy Dex - Alles Is Nu.flac
· Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow.flac
· Little Mix - Woman Like Me (feat. Nicki Minaj).flac
· San Holo - brighter days (feat. Bipolar Sunshine).flac
· Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life.flac
If someone wanted to convert me to the current pop, these recordings would do it. The treble sparkles, the mid is focused, and the bass excites.

Personal potpourri:
· Eva Cassidy, 2015 Nightbird Complete (2CD)
· Hendrix, 2017 In the Spirit of Jazz
· Karrin Allyson, 2011 'Round Midnight
· Michael Manring, 1994 Thonk (High Street Records)
The first three sound spectacular with the Fostex TH-909 and iFi xDSD pairing. I’ve never heard as good sound from any equipment that stows in my backpack. It also exceeds any home system I've heard. My copy of the Michael Manring is not the greatest quality recording but it features phenomenal bass lines which are reproduced with better detail than I remember hearing before.

Classical:
· Meyerbeer Spohr Busoni Barmann, Clarinet Quintets
· Alison Balsom, 2010 Italian Concertos [24bit, 44.1khz]
· Weiniawski - Alard - Moszkowski - violin duets - Gringolts - Bulov-CD
· Shostakovich - Symphony No.10; Passacaglia - Boston SO, Nelsons
· Nelsons, Boston Symphony Orchestra -Shostakovich Symphonies 5,8,9, Suite from Hamlet
My personal belief is that if a person were to hear recordings like this they would become forever fans. At this point, I want to recall and use words from the audiophile bingo hyperbole. Cellos emerge from the back without obscuring the gentle winds and strings at the front. The music is detailed, open, and alive. Something tells me that I’ll be using the TH-909 for a lot of classical music that I didn’t listen to previously.

Conclusions:
· The intent of my purchase was to augment my closed headphone with an open headphone. If I don't need to be considerate of the hearing space of others, open headphones are better. I'm thrilled with the TH-909.
· Comparisons with the HD-800S are inevitable. If we can forget the pronounced 6khz peak of the original HD-800 headphones, than it might be fair to do so. I sold my HD-800 because of this and almost jumped on the Sennheiser bandwagon again with the HD-800S. I’ve auditioned the HD-800S repeatedly over the past two years. Comparing the HD-800S and TH-909:
o Contrary to speculation I have read on this forum, the TH-909 is very smooth with the highs.
o Each present a great soundstage
o Each clearly detail individual instruments and voices
o In the examples above, the TH-909 bass was focused and detailed. However, I have some bootlegs and other recordings that are not as well engineered and the bass can be a bit heavy or muddy. I might need to EQ the sound for those old or badly engineered recordings. I suppose modders will have opinions about this soon.
o The TH-909 is clear with the midrange and treble. I was worried that the bass would eclipse the midrange and treble; thankfully, it does not.
o With the HD-800S, I always applied some EQ to add bass and tone down the highs. I think it only fair to drive the HD-800S with a powerful premier headphone amp. Once done, the HD-800S proves a wonderful investment. With the TH-909, I begin thinking more of amp quality rather than amp power. A great DAP might be in my future.

The clock has moved forward and I’m very happy with my new TH-909. I don’t expect to look back.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 32
Thanks for the detailed impressions , the Fostex TH-900 sound is so addictive so i think the new one will improve on that
i am expecting my 909 within few days ,, i was looking for a shorter cable , so what cable did you order ?
and thanks again for the share.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 32
My first cable pick may not be my last. I started with the NewFantasia: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGSSTMR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I would have preferred a black cable from a more established vendor but I was in a hurry to get started and didn't want to go back to the seller of the TH-909 (they advertised free shipping, shipped it, and then sent a cryptic email to me that they decided to charge for shipping anyway). I hope I will make a better choice of vendors for future audio purchases.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 32
I just purchased and received the TH-909. This is not intended as a critical or extensive review. I think of it as a preview of an item you might want to consider listening to. No incentives were received for my purchase or for writing this opinion.

Early impressions:
· I plugged the TH-909 into a Techsun radio for 20 hours of warming up. My first impression was “when was the last time I heard good radio? This sounds really good!” This was also the first indication to me of how flexible the TH-909 will be for me.
· I then gave the TH-909 to my wife. She plugged it into her phone and walked away. It seemed like hours later when she returned and said “that is the best piece of audio equipment you have ever brought into this house.” She was listening with her cell phone.
· That leads to my first criticism. I only received an 11 ft cable terminated with a standard ¼” connector. This is a low impedance headphone and begs for portable use! I have already ordered a replacement cable so I can walk with my iFi xDSD.
· To get the TH-909 away from my “significant other approved”, I took the TH-909 on the road for listening.

My iFi xDSD feeds comfortable volumes at the low “green” setting for most of my listening.
o I hear more bass. It is clear and detailed.
o Detail of notes surpassed my expectations. The transition between the notes is exciting as I anticipate what may happen next.
o For grins, I measured the bass down to 20hz. At 17hz, I hear less bass but that may a flaw of the online tone generator. It might also be a flaw of my mortal ears.
o I also measured the treble to 17khz. Past that, I need turn up the volume. My ears don’t reach so high anymore.

Pop Artists:
· Armin van Buuren - Wild Wild Son (feat. Sam Martin).flac
· Diggy Dex - Alles Is Nu.flac
· Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow.flac
· Little Mix - Woman Like Me (feat. Nicki Minaj).flac
· San Holo - brighter days (feat. Bipolar Sunshine).flac
· Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life.flac
If someone wanted to convert me to the current pop, these recordings would do it. The treble sparkles, the mid is focused, and the bass excites.

Personal potpourri:
· Eva Cassidy, 2015 Nightbird Complete (2CD)
· Hendrix, 2017 In the Spirit of Jazz
· Karrin Allyson, 2011 'Round Midnight
· Michael Manring, 1994 Thonk (High Street Records)
The first three sound spectacular with the Fostex TH-909 and iFi xDSD pairing. I’ve never heard as good sound from any equipment that stows in my backpack. It also exceeds any home system I've heard. My copy of the Michael Manring is not the greatest quality recording but it features phenomenal bass lines which are reproduced with better detail than I remember hearing before.

Classical:
· Meyerbeer Spohr Busoni Barmann, Clarinet Quintets
· Alison Balsom, 2010 Italian Concertos [24bit, 44.1khz]
· Weiniawski - Alard - Moszkowski - violin duets - Gringolts - Bulov-CD
· Shostakovich - Symphony No.10; Passacaglia - Boston SO, Nelsons
· Nelsons, Boston Symphony Orchestra -Shostakovich Symphonies 5,8,9, Suite from Hamlet
My personal belief is that if a person were to hear recordings like this they would become forever fans. At this point, I want to recall and use words from the audiophile bingo hyperbole. Cellos emerge from the back without obscuring the gentle winds and strings at the front. The music is detailed, open, and alive. Something tells me that I’ll be using the TH-909 for a lot of classical music that I didn’t listen to previously.

Conclusions:
· The intent of my purchase was to augment my closed headphone with an open headphone. If I don't need to be considerate of the hearing space of others, open headphones are better. I'm thrilled with the TH-909.
· Comparisons with the HD-800S are inevitable. If we can forget the pronounced 6khz peak of the original HD-800 headphones, than it might be fair to do so. I sold my HD-800 because of this and almost jumped on the Sennheiser bandwagon again with the HD-800S. I’ve auditioned the HD-800S repeatedly over the past two years. Comparing the HD-800S and TH-909:
o Contrary to speculation I have read on this forum, the TH-909 is very smooth with the highs.
o Each present a great soundstage
o Each clearly detail individual instruments and voices
o In the examples above, the TH-909 bass was focused and detailed. However, I have some bootlegs and other recordings that are not as well engineered and the bass can be a bit heavy or muddy. I might need to EQ the sound for those old or badly engineered recordings. I suppose modders will have opinions about this soon.
o The TH-909 is clear with the midrange and treble. I was worried that the bass would eclipse the midrange and treble; thankfully, it does not.
o With the HD-800S, I always applied some EQ to add bass and tone down the highs. I think it only fair to drive the HD-800S with a powerful premier headphone amp. Once done, the HD-800S proves a wonderful investment. With the TH-909, I begin thinking more of amp quality rather than amp power. A great DAP might be in my future.

The clock has moved forward and I’m very happy with my new TH-909. I don’t expect to look back.

First of all, thanks for the review! That was helpful since I used to own the 800S. My only real concern with the 909 was if it had harsh treble like the 900 and if the bass was too strong so that it bled into the mids and higher frequencies.
Although I really like the 800S, it’s treble is still a tad too bright for me. So you’re saying that the 909 has smoother or less treble energy than the 800S right? If that’s the case, I’m going to seriously consider buying them.

Also, how would you rate the 909 soundstage compared to the 800S?

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 32
First of all, thanks for the review! That was helpful since I used to own the 800S. My only real concern with the 909 was if it had harsh treble like the 900 and if the bass was too strong so that it bled into the mids and higher frequencies.
Although I really like the 800S, it’s treble is still a tad too bright for me. So you’re saying that the 909 has smoother or less treble energy than the 800S right? If that’s the case, I’m going to seriously consider buying them.

Also, how would you rate the 909 soundstage compared to the 800S?

Thanks for asking. Here is more info for what I may not have articulated well:
  • The bass is strong and detailed but it does not bleed. I hear each instrument as individual contributions to the entire song. As I type this, I am listening to David Sylvian's "Orpheus" and "Some Kind of Fool". The bass sounds like an independent contributor that enters and exits the mix. It does not obscure the mid or treble. I have always refused bass heavy headphones. In this case, the bass is strong and defined but it is not an overwhelming solo that takes over.
  • I hear imaging similar to the 800 / 800S. If the orchestra is recorded well, I can pin-point the location of the cellos behind the violins. I love jazz piano trio and find the piano, drums, and bass well placed in the spatial field. The vocals are wherever the mixing engineer chose to place them, usually just off from center.
  • The TH-909 has smooth mid and treble. I listened last night for five hours without any fatigue. The problem for matching the HD-800 with my ears is that my ears would beg me to stop after 40 minutes. (the HD-800S isn't as bad but I still hear a bump at about 6k khz). The TH-909 has none of that for the mid or treble.
  • I'm not going to give anyone an iron-clad guarantee that your ears are the same as mine or that your brain processes the way mine does. Based on what you ask, I think you will really like the TH-909. As always, try before you buy if you can. Otherwise, have an exit strategy like the ability to return if you find that the purchase doesn't meet expectations.
Best wishes!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 32
Thanks for asking. Here is more info for what I may not have articulated well:
  • The bass is strong and detailed but it does not bleed. I hear each instrument as individual contributions to the entire song. As I type this, I am listening to David Sylvian's "Orpheus" and "Some Kind of Fool". The bass sounds like an independent contributor that enters and exits the mix. It does not obscure the mid or treble. I have always refused bass heavy headphones. In this case, the bass is strong and defined but it is not an overwhelming solo that takes over.
  • I hear imaging similar to the 800 / 800S. If the orchestra is recorded well, I can pin-point the location of the cellos behind the violins. I love jazz piano trio and find the piano, drums, and bass well placed in the spatial field. The vocals are wherever the mixing engineer chose to place them, usually just off from center.
  • The TH-909 has smooth mid and treble. I listened last night for five hours without any fatigue. The problem for matching the HD-800 with my ears is that my ears would beg me to stop after 40 minutes. (the HD-800S isn't as bad but I still hear a bump at about 6k khz). The TH-909 has none of that for the mid or treble.
  • I'm not going to give anyone an iron-clad guarantee that your ears are the same as mine or that your brain processes the way mine does. Based on what you ask, I think you will really like the TH-909. As always, try before you buy if you can. Otherwise, have an exit strategy like the ability to return if you find that the purchase doesn't meet expectations.
Best wishes!

Thanks for the clarification and quick response!

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 32
My first cable pick may not be my last. I started with the NewFantasia: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGSSTMR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I would have preferred a black cable from a more established vendor but I was in a hurry to get started and didn't want to go back to the seller of the TH-909 (they advertised free shipping, shipped it, and then sent a cryptic email to me that they decided to charge for shipping anyway). I hope I will make a better choice of vendors for future audio purchases.
please when you receive it , share some pictures for the connection , i want to see how it fit to the 909 ,, i hope it is not a Sennheiser connector.
Thanksss your post is very helpful.

btw it is available in black also
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Premium-Headphone-XDP-300R/dp/B07C5F61L2

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 32
Hi there,
I don't have anything to add except that you should consider contesting the shipping charge. It varies by state, but where I live the statute is:
Sellers are obligated to sell goods at the correct price, which is the lowest of the advertised price, the posted price, the sticker price, or the checkout price, and must clearly and conspicuously disclose to a buyer the exact nature and extent of the seller’s refund, return or cancellation policy prior to completion of the purchase transaction.
I'm not sure how that applies to online transactions, but it may be worth looking into.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 32
I agree with what you say but I'm not going to let it frustrate the enjoyment of these new cans. The extra cost is only about 1% of my purchase price. There is the odd chance that the vendor was having a bad day. If they are still in business in a few years, I may give them another chance.

My new cables arrive later today. I look forward to posting pictures.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 32
Fair enough. I worked in retail for nearly ten years, so this sort of thing niggles me.

Also, great mini-review! If the TH-909 were closer to my budget I'd definitely consider them based on your review.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 32
I got a feeling this is similar to what the ZMF headphones went for with going open at the center with Auteur, although not exactly. Like a wood ring around with an opening center. To have some wood resonance, but not too much.

I'm sure ZMF headphones use Fostex drivers.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 32
TH-909 1 of 2.jpg
TH-909 2 of 2.jpg
please when you receive it , share some pictures for the connection , i want to see how it fit to the 909 ,, i hope it is not a Sennheiser connector.
Thanksss your post is very helpful.

btw it is available in black also
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Premium-Headphone-XDP-300R/dp/B07C5F61L2

Thanks for the link. I would have purchased that cable but it created a theme of Black trim on TH-909, White wire, then Black wire again. That might be easier for hiding dirt but I decided upon the consistency of keeping the cable one color.

The cable arrived today (I need practice posting pictures!). I have the iFi xDSD DAC/AMP which accepts a 3.5mm single ended / balanced connector. The NewFantasia comes with 2.5mm balanced so I also purchased the "KK Cable 4T-T 3.5mm TRRS Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female Cable. 4T-T" as an adapter.

I'm more impressed with the NewFantasia cable than the KK Cable adapter. The NewFantasia has a tighter weave and what may be a stiffer sleeve which gives it the feel of a significant wire. The NewFantasia sounds like a good silver and copper hybrid cable. The bass is a bit more tight and the mid and treble are more fast and detailed. I noticed this first with the Pop Artists (see list in original post). I'm less familiar with those recordings so I switched to the Eva Cassidy recording as I know it well. The attack of her voice is more aggressive. The piano punctuates the rhythm and is more enjoyable than with the stock cable. I also hear more detail when the fingers run up and down the string bass.

Note that I now have balanced wires and the DAC/AMP in balanced mode so that must affect what I hear as well. The NewFantasia is a two-meter cable so it is plenty long and it doesn't have the fabric insulator so it works well for portable or desktop use (shorter would be better for portable).

I've heard enough cables to know that I could spend $300 to $1000 and improve the experience further. I just have a problem spending that kind of money on wire (but sure enjoy hearing the difference!). For now, I'm having fun with what I have.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 32

Thanks for the link. I would have purchased that cable but it created a theme of Black trim on TH-909, White wire, then Black wire again. That might be easier for hiding dirt but I decided upon the consistency of keeping the cable one color.

The cable arrived today (I need practice posting pictures!). I have the iFi xDSD DAC/AMP which accepts a 3.5mm single ended / balanced connector. The NewFantasia comes with 2.5mm balanced so I also purchased the "KK Cable 4T-T 3.5mm TRRS Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female Cable. 4T-T" as an adapter.

I'm more impressed with the NewFantasia cable than the KK Cable adapter. The NewFantasia has a tighter weave and what may be a stiffer sleeve which gives it the feel of a significant wire. The NewFantasia sounds like a good silver and copper hybrid cable. The bass is a bit more tight and the mid and treble are more fast and detailed. I noticed this first with the Pop Artists (see list in original post). I'm less familiar with those recordings so I switched to the Eva Cassidy recording as I know it well. The attack of her voice is more aggressive. The piano punctuates the rhythm and is more enjoyable than with the stock cable. I also hear more detail when the fingers run up and down the string bass.

Note that I now have balanced wires and the DAC/AMP in balanced mode so that must affect what I hear as well. The NewFantasia is a two-meter cable so it is plenty long and it doesn't have the fabric insulator so it works well for portable or desktop use (shorter would be better for portable).

I've heard enough cables to know that I could spend $300 to $1000 and improve the experience further. I just have a problem spending that kind of money on wire (but sure enjoy hearing the difference!). For now, I'm having fun with what I have.
i just got my pair ,, it sound is different then the TH-900 ,,
I am so excited to hear it after burn in ,, TH-900 needed 300hrs to give its best ,
regarding the cable ,, i love its look ,, it connect like stock which is super nice ,
although i never like silver in my cables but i will give it a try , i may like it with my DAP which have 2.5 output
also i think the silver cable you got is so nice with the red cups :darthsmile:
really appreciate all the input ,, Thankssss

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 32
After the trouble ive gone through, the amount of time ive saved up for my TH900mk2... i dont think i can part with them, nor can i afford another TH900 despite it being open back. im so mixed in feeling over this news. :frowning2: a part of me wants to get it, another is like "will it sound almost the same? is it worth more money to get open version of this can?" :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back