Fostex TH-909 review
Oct 25, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #16 of 32
If this can be result of mod, why not somebody reverse-engineer and sell the cups for the original? Or perhaps Massdrop can consult Fostex and sell the cups.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 32
@PACSman jist to get an idea of your preferred sound signature, what would you say are your top 5 favorite headphones?
I like the way you describe the 909, but this hobby is so subjective.

Five Favorite Headphones:

My JH Audio Layla is my favorite IEM available. The sound signature and placement of instruments is hard to beat for an IEM. It took me a while to figure out how to get a good seal and that may be why most of the other well reviewed IEMs haven’t yet auditioned as well for me. I’ve been using IEMs since the Shure SE500 because they travel so well. (I’ve owned CIEMs but find them hard to keep clean).

I enjoyed every audition of the STAX SR-009 and hope to own it or maybe the MrSpeakers VOCE Electrostatic someday. The quickness of the SR-009 can’t be beat but the flip side is the treble can sound too fast and appear uncontrolled. I’ve heard that MrSpeakers improves upon this and has a more controlled bass. As I travel most weeks of the year, it isn’t practical for me unless I leave the amp at the office or have the hotel store it for me.

Likewise, with the ‎AB-1266 Phi Reference CC. The bass can be incredibly controlled and detailed with a great amp. The imaging of the mid and treble is focused and enjoyable to me. This isn’t practical as a travel headphone.

I like the HD-800S when paired with a great amplifier. I’ve heard some stellar amp matching that makes me think that it can be better than what many of us give it credit for. My mistake was trying to overcome the high impedance with a value amp. The iFi micro iDSD Black-Label helped me realize the bass potential and tame the treble but it didn’t deliver the soundstage or note detail that I know the HD-800S can provide.

My favorite closed headphone is the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow V-Planar. I own a pair and use it on the airplane. My unscientific bias is that planars don’t need to move air like dynamic headphones so they have greater potential to overcome some of the closed headphone limitations. My initial impression is that MrSpeakers Ether C Flow has the best sound / placement of instruments, etc. of the available closed headphones. I haven’t found another closed headphone that fits my head better

That’s five plus a double mention for MrSpeakers. I’ve auditioned most of the respected cans from Audeze, HiFiMAN, BeyerDynamics and others. Each was paired with their amp and cable of choice. Perhaps my environment wasn’t right for each of the auditions. I’m not a quitter so I’ll keep trying

Other thoughts:

Sony has a lot of low-priced cans that I’ve like over their competition but I’ve never owned any. I’ve purchased several of their $300 to $500 headphones (including Bluetooth) but they haven’t been a good match for me. I hope to audition and maybe own the MDR-Z1R someday.

I’ve owned two of the JayBird Bluetooth IEMs enjoyed them. I currently use the Jaybird X3 and think it sounds good if I use their app to tune them. Even with the silly charger, it may be one of the best value earphone in its class.

A moderate price headphone I like is the E-MU Teak. It has a warm and yet detailed sound signature that I like. I also like the Shure SRH1540 (closed) and SRH1840 (open) as moderately priced cans.

On my short list for future auditions are the Kingsound KS-H3, and the ZMF Eikon / Atticus.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 32
After the trouble ive gone through, the amount of time ive saved up for my TH900mk2... i dont think i can part with them, nor can i afford another TH900 despite it being open back. im so mixed in feeling over this news. :frowning2: a part of me wants to get it, another is like "will it sound almost the same? is it worth more money to get open version of this can?" :S
The th900 is my fav. Been buying other hps to end up selling them cause the th900 sounds too real.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 32
Five Favorite Headphones:

My JH Audio Layla is my favorite IEM available. The sound signature and placement of instruments is hard to beat for an IEM. It took me a while to figure out how to get a good seal and that may be why most of the other well reviewed IEMs haven’t yet auditioned as well for me. I’ve been using IEMs since the Shure SE500 because they travel so well. (I’ve owned CIEMs but find them hard to keep clean).

I enjoyed every audition of the STAX SR-009 and hope to own it or maybe the MrSpeakers VOCE Electrostatic someday. The quickness of the SR-009 can’t be beat but the flip side is the treble can sound too fast and appear uncontrolled. I’ve heard that MrSpeakers improves upon this and has a more controlled bass. As I travel most weeks of the year, it isn’t practical for me unless I leave the amp at the office or have the hotel store it for me.

Likewise, with the ‎AB-1266 Phi Reference CC. The bass can be incredibly controlled and detailed with a great amp. The imaging of the mid and treble is focused and enjoyable to me. This isn’t practical as a travel headphone.

I like the HD-800S when paired with a great amplifier. I’ve heard some stellar amp matching that makes me think that it can be better than what many of us give it credit for. My mistake was trying to overcome the high impedance with a value amp. The iFi micro iDSD Black-Label helped me realize the bass potential and tame the treble but it didn’t deliver the soundstage or note detail that I know the HD-800S can provide.

My favorite closed headphone is the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow V-Planar. I own a pair and use it on the airplane. My unscientific bias is that planars don’t need to move air like dynamic headphones so they have greater potential to overcome some of the closed headphone limitations. My initial impression is that MrSpeakers Ether C Flow has the best sound / placement of instruments, etc. of the available closed headphones. I haven’t found another closed headphone that fits my head better

That’s five plus a double mention for MrSpeakers. I’ve auditioned most of the respected cans from Audeze, HiFiMAN, BeyerDynamics and others. Each was paired with their amp and cable of choice. Perhaps my environment wasn’t right for each of the auditions. I’m not a quitter so I’ll keep trying

Other thoughts:

Sony has a lot of low-priced cans that I’ve like over their competition but I’ve never owned any. I’ve purchased several of their $300 to $500 headphones (including Bluetooth) but they haven’t been a good match for me. I hope to audition and maybe own the MDR-Z1R someday.

I’ve owned two of the JayBird Bluetooth IEMs enjoyed them. I currently use the Jaybird X3 and think it sounds good if I use their app to tune them. Even with the silly charger, it may be one of the best value earphone in its class.

A moderate price headphone I like is the E-MU Teak. It has a warm and yet detailed sound signature that I like. I also like the Shure SRH1540 (closed) and SRH1840 (open) as moderately priced cans.

On my short list for future auditions are the Kingsound KS-H3, and the ZMF Eikon / Atticus.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #20 of 32
The th900 is ny fav. Been buying other hps to end up selling them cause the th900 sounds too real.
They sound great, i wouldnt say 100% perfect :p they have some flaws. but definitely worth the addition to any audio enthusiasts collection.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #21 of 32
They sound great, i wouldnt say 100% perfect :p they have some flaws. but definitely worth the addition to any audio enthusiasts collection.
Well I dont think theres a 100% perfect headphone.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #24 of 32
I've seen reviews stating that these aren't much more open than the regular 900. Can you hear someone talking to you while listening to these?

(That would actually be a positive for me.)
Yes , easily.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #25 of 32
Yes , easily.
Thanks! Now I just have to make a decision, because a screw came loose in the headband on my THX00 Ebony and apparently the only way to tighten it is to completely disassemble the cups, and I don't want to ever have to do that on a pair of TH909/900... I wish Fostex would update their headband design like Denon did...

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #26 of 32
Thanks! Now I just have to make a decision, because a screw came loose in the headband on my THX00 Ebony and apparently the only way to tighten it is to completely disassemble the cups, and I don't want to ever have to do that on a pair of TH909/900... I wish Fostex would update their headband design like Denon did...
Guess it happens , but I have owned 12 th900s and none had any issues. Im rotating six th900s on the go and I sometimes toss my headphone into my back pack with no issues.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #27 of 32
Guess it happens , but I have owned 12 th900s and none had any issues. Im rotating six th900s on the go and I sometimes toss my headphone into my back pack with no issues.

You can definitely feel the difference in construction between the TH900 and the X00's, simply by holding them. The 900 is much heavier by comparison and I also think they used different screws in the headband (dreaded reports of it snapping in two in the MassDrop models). Similarly, I have owned TH900/MK2/X00 and none have failed me yet. The screws, I think the good ones, can be found on aliexpress if I am not mistaken. Taking apart the Fostex is relatively easy, 4-8 screws only, so if a screw is loose--fix that :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #30 of 32
Portable ? Try Woo Audio Tube Mini, pair quite good with my Fostex
Thanks for your reply, sorry I wasnt specific.

Desktop Standalone Headphone amp
Pairing with the the denafrips ares 2 dac
Looking to improve overall bass quality, slam and extension.

Am currently using the Rupert neve rnhp, loving it but just wondering what other pairings there are out there that can improve the bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back