Fostex TH909 Announcement
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #76 of 217
For all things lovely, please don't destroy Urushi cups... :) IME they look and sound the best among all TH900 cups replacements.
If you feel the itch, the TH610 cups are better for starting experimenting with :). A Dremel 678 accessory together with a cup holder assembly would save you from buying a CNC machine - or if you can use one, go ahead :).

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #77 of 217
For all things lovely, please don't destroy Urushi cups... :) IME they look and sound the best among all TH900 cups replacements.
If you feel the itch, the TH610 cups are better for starting experimenting with :). A Dremel 678 accessory together with a cup holder assembly would save you from buying a CNC machine - or if you can use one, go ahead :).

Wonder when Lawton will start making TH900 > TH909 'upgrade'/conversion kits...

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #79 of 217
Here comes the new color.

TH909SB.jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #85 of 217
I wonder if it is an issue with impedance. I auditioned the Audeze LCD-4z with the Hugo M Scaler + the Hugo TT 2 and was less impressed with what I heard. I'm thinking these lower impedance cans might be perfect for the DAP sized amp products but receive too much oomph from the bigger dedicated headphone amps. Not that I'm defending the TH-909 as a perfect can (none are) but I'm at 50 hours and the TH-909 continues to move toward a sound I like. I'm driving it with the iFi xDSD. My other cans sound as they did previously so it might be the TH-909 settling in rather than my ears adjusting.

I have the exact setup you auditioned and one thing I noticed about the lcd-4z which I think is great will be the sound stage and separation of different frequencies which I haven’t heard from most cans which are being classified as warm. As for the 909, I haven’t heard long enough but I have to say I’m pretty happy with it too. Will give it more time to burn in and see how it goes

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #86 of 217
I have the exact setup you auditioned and one thing I noticed about the lcd-4z which I think is great will be the sound stage and separation of different frequencies which I haven’t heard from most cans which are being classified as warm. As for the 909, I haven’t heard long enough but I have to say I’m pretty happy with it too. Will give it more time to burn in and see how it goes

Is Fostex TH-909SB even available in Europe / US? From what I see online it is only sold in Australia and on eBay. Did you buy it in a local brick and mortar store or was it an Australian import?

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #87 of 217
Is Fostex TH-909SB even available in Europe / US? From what I see online it is only sold in Australia and on eBay. Did you buy it in a local brick and mortar store or was it an Australian import?

I got this from Japan shop while on holiday.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #88 of 217

Doing a qick google search, just popping up a German and a Canadian dealer.
I assume you can find more offers when you spend more time on the search.

German dealer:
https://www.projekt-akustik.de/TH909SB

Canada:
https://www.eriksonaudioonline.com/Catalog/ProductDetail?itemId=TH-909-SB

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #89 of 217
I have been doing an A/B comparison between the TH909 and the TH900, then I did A/B comparisons between the Fostex and the Sennheiser HD800S and the Audeze LCD3. Bottom-line is that IMO the TH909 is better than the TH900 and that it sits between the Sennheiser and the Audeze in terms of sound signature (a bit closer to the HD800S).

For background: I’ve used a Hugo2 and a TA-ZH1ES for this comparison. I am an addict for big soundstage and I like headphones which are able to retrieve excellent levels of detail, I’m not a bass head although I can appreciate good bass slam. I can equally enjoy my HD800s or my Z1R.

Compared to the TH900: They are both equally comfortable. Sound wise IMO the TH909 beats the TH900 in every category, except obviously in isolation and in bass quantity (not quality). The TH900 strikes harder hand sounds more bass-head in direct comparison, but bass feels also more bloated. TH909 has better bass texture, definition and extension.

The TH900 sound signature is more V shaped and highs are more piercing. The TH909 is a better all-rounder, highs are not fatiguing at all, micro detail is better, there’s more air between instruments and soundstage also feels bigger (not HD800S bigger).

I would recommend the TH909 over the TH900 unless you need a closed back and/or like more bass thunder. I certainly consider the TH909 to be an upgraded open back version of the TH900.

Compared to the HD800S: Despite the TH909 has very good soundstage, the Sennheiser is still (and clearly) the king in terms of soundstage. The HD800sS feels clearly a brighter sounding headphone and can make the TH909 seem warm sounding. Switching from the TH909 to the HD800S made me feel like making the music sound bigger, like going from an “L” to an “XL” size, it felt more in your face and immersive with the HD800S. For classical music, instrumental etc the Sennheiser is the better way to go, but if you feel need more “balls” (e.g. for Heavy Metal) then you may want to check-out the TH909; in direct comparison the HD800S seems to be lacking bass slam, the Fostex hits harder and has a warmer sound signature in comparison, while retaining a very good level of soundstage and resolution. I think both headphones can be complimentary.

Compared to the LCD 3: I got the opposite feeling than with the HD800S comparison. The Audeze made the Fostex sound bright. The LCD 3 sounds notably warmer, more meaty or thick. I preferred Yello (The Race y Electrified II) with the LCD3 but I preferred Brother Dege (Too Old To Die Young) with the TH909; I liked to listen to Amon Amarth (Balls To The Wall y War Machine) with the LCD3 better, but I preferred the TH909 when listening to Therion (Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah).

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #90 of 217
I have been doing an A/B comparison between the TH909 and the TH900, then I did A/B comparisons between the Fostex and the Sennheiser HD800S and the Audeze LCD3. Bottom-line is that IMO the TH909 is better than the TH900 and that it sits between the Sennheiser and the Audeze in terms of sound signature (a bit closer to the HD800S).

For background: I’ve used a Hugo2 and a TA-ZH1ES for this comparison. I am an addict for big soundstage and I like headphones which are able to retrieve excellent levels of detail, I’m not a bass head although I can appreciate good bass slam. I can equally enjoy my HD800s or my Z1R.

Compared to the TH900: They are both equally comfortable. Sound wise IMO the TH909 beats the TH900 in every category, except obviously in isolation and in bass quantity (not quality). The TH900 strikes harder hand sounds more bass-head in direct comparison, but bass feels also more bloated. TH909 has better bass texture, definition and extension.

The TH900 sound signature is more V shaped and highs are more piercing. The TH909 is a better all-rounder, highs are not fatiguing at all, micro detail is better, there’s more air between instruments and soundstage also feels bigger (not HD800S bigger).

I would recommend the TH909 over the TH900 unless you need a closed back and/or like more bass thunder. I certainly consider the TH909 to be an upgraded open back version of the TH900.

Compared to the HD800S: Despite the TH909 has very good soundstage, the Sennheiser is still (and clearly) the king in terms of soundstage. The HD800sS feels clearly a brighter sounding headphone and can make the TH909 seem warm sounding. Switching from the TH909 to the HD800S made me feel like making the music sound bigger, like going from an “L” to an “XL” size, it felt more in your face and immersive with the HD800S. For classical music, instrumental etc the Sennheiser is the better way to go, but if you feel need more “balls” (e.g. for Heavy Metal) then you may want to check-out the TH909; in direct comparison the HD800S seems to be lacking bass slam, the Fostex hits harder and has a warmer sound signature in comparison, while retaining a very good level of soundstage and resolution. I think both headphones can be complimentary.

Compared to the LCD 3: I got the opposite feeling than with the HD800S comparison. The Audeze made the Fostex sound bright. The LCD 3 sounds notably warmer, more meaty or thick. I preferred Yello (The Race y Electrified II) with the LCD3 but I preferred Brother Dege (Too Old To Die Young) with the TH909; I liked to listen to Amon Amarth (Balls To The Wall y War Machine) with the LCD3 better, but I preferred the TH909 when listening to Therion (Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah).

You articulate my thoughts better than I do! I owned the HD800 but sold them because I couldn't eq the piercing 6khz peak enough. The HD800 was also hard to drive. The TH909 may not have as big of a sound stage but it is pretty close. The lower impedance of the TH909 provides more pairing choices. This is important as I travel nearly every week. The TH909 are my "fun" headphones for electric music and also a big pleaser for acoustic. Although not as big of a sound stage, it may be more nuanced than the HD800. I believe I can place the instruments in distinct places on the stage more accurately than with the HD800. This makes me less likely to audition the HD800S, Utopia, or other flagship cans at RMAF this weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back