Fostex TH909 Announcement
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #91 of 217
The TH909 are my "fun" headphones

very much this ^

but fun in a way that LCD phones are not, for example. You get all the detail, the v shape fun (though not overdone), and at the same time you get really top shelf soundstage and imaging.
At least as good as my T1s at imaging and soundstage (I’m leaning towards saying better but I need more time with them) but tuned and voiced for fun. Makes a perfect compliment IMO.

I’m really surprised there isn’t more traction on these here, given how beloved the 900s are.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #92 of 217
These are one clean .....clean .........clean sounding headphone....with the right source :gs1000smile: I have serial number 21 and enjoying it a lot with m11 pro

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #93 of 217
Quite interesting how these never got any momentum compared to the TH-900.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #94 of 217
Quite interesting how these never got any momentum compared to the TH-900.

it's all good, I am guessing they will become a collectors item at some point. I own the red ones, I want to get my hands on the blue ones but cant find them in the US.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #95 of 217
Just got these headphones in. Took a huge risk on buying without listening first, but I absolutely have no regrets so far! It took me a long time to finally get these due to prioritizing other bills (and then a new hadpan hobby lol), but I loved the TH-900. When I heard these might be a more balanced, smoother headphone I took a dive! While I love the Th-900, they were too harsh for most music, so I eventually sold them.

I'm using the iBasso DX200 with AMP9 (tube) to drive these, and they share a lot of qualities with the Z1R. Might be the amp I'm using though. I'm looking for 4.4mm cables to buy so I can properly compare using AMP8. So far it's like a different flavor of smooth. Still energetic, but no longer ear bleeding with my favorites genres. I already love them for metal and electronic, which was hit or miss with the 900s (Z1R is not good for either imo. A bit boring.) Bass is the usual Fostex bass I love, just fuller and possibly quicker. Will be listening to these all day today!

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #97 of 217
I just had the chance to spend some time with the TH909 for review, I really enjoyed it - it really has a lot of character. My full review is published over here. Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 5.18.14 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-31 at 5.18.26 pm.png

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #98 of 217
I just had the chance to spend some time with the TH909 for review, I really enjoyed it - it really has a lot of character. My full review is published over here.Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 5.18.14 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-31 at 5.18.26 pm.png

Great review; I'm torn between these, the ZMF Eikons or an AKG K812 to (eventually) replace my TH600's.
Would love a head to head between the Eikons and the TH909 for biodyna semi-open supremacy.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #99 of 217
This headphone is for the person that likes bass and lots of clarity. No shouty presentation if the th900 has too much treble then these are just the right amount. I've heard the clears you can't listen at loud volumes because of design where the 909 you can.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #100 of 217
This headphone is for the person that likes bass and lots of clarity. No shouty presentation if the th900 has too much treble then these are just the right amount. I've heard the clears you can't listen at loud volumes because of design where the 909 you can.

This sums up the TH909 quite nicely:sunglasses: My Clears were a little shouty at higher volumes, but the TH909 aren't at all.
At first I thought the TH909 were little underwhelming in comparison to my AH-D9200 or the Meze Empyrean....but after some hours burn-in...oh wow, one of the most enganging headphones I heared so far (on the right tracks)!
TH909.jpg

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #101 of 217
Oh wow, this thread only has seven pages? And I thought the Denon 9200 was underrepresented. :)

I've been messing with the TH-909 for a while now trying to find the best pairing. It's super finicky due to the low impedance, but wow, they truly sang once a right pairing was found! Of course, this is subjective based on my ears, so YMMV.

They didn't like my DAPs much, such as the iBasso DX300, Cayin N6ii (a01) and A&K Kann Cube.

Similarly, the sound was average with my other DAC/AMPs such as the Romi Audio BX-2 Plus, ifi hip-dac and the Fiio Btr5.

My PS5 Soundblaster G6 sounded above average with these which was surprising to say the least! Edit: Just discovered I hadn't set this into Direct Mode! What a surprise, it even got better! Seriously check it out.

A notch above came the iFi Micro BL, the highs were tamed and the low-end rumbled nicely.

Finally, I plugged them into my Chord Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler stack and wow, thumping low-end, clear mids, and highs that teeter on the precipise of bringing out details without sounding sibilant or noisy. Such an enjoyable and energetic listen!

Of course, badly recorded tracks will still sound bad, but I've used Tidal, Spotify and my own FLAC files and I'm positive to say that these are very amp dependant but sound so deliciously good if you could find a good pairing for them. :darthsmile:

20210211_111720[1246].jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #103 of 217
I recently bought a TH900mk2 Limited Edition Pearl White, with the anniversary tuning. I really really enjoy that headphone. I am extremely curious about the TH909 now. It's actually been holding me back from pulling the trigger on an HE1000 V2. I am still debating which one comes first.

The source I work the TH900mk2 with is Soekris dac1541 + Violectric V281 via balanced port. Although the 1.5Ts are really easy to drive, I've found they respond to the positive nicely with a little "power" behind them. This is the source I would most likely be using too, with a TH909. I have also been thinking that an OG ZMF Pendant amp might be something with the TH9xx's, for tube operation.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #104 of 217
I almost got a heart attack reading "Looks like Fostex is announcing a new flagship at the Hong Kong A/V Show" and couldn't wait for the image to load but then realized i am at page 1.

giphy.gif

I wonder why I started off the first page again.

I'd love a new Fostex flagship in the same vein. Still, the TH-900 is amazing until this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back