Fostex TH900 mods
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #271 of 343
Lawton Cups Addiction.

571518938360_.pic.jpg

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #273 of 343
Back home I found a little parcel from Lawton waiting for me :slight_smile:

IMG_1662.jpg

Once I have implemented the mod inside the cup and changed the earpads, I will let you know how the sound change...

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #274 of 343
OK, we did the Lawton Mod ! (the tuning Kit N°1)

The instructions are very well explained (on their web site) and the mod takes less than 10 minutes. We were 2 headfier together to do the Mod and then to test .( Laurent and myself).

We used the Lawton "tune-up kit N°1" which is made of the angled pads plus a foam kit to put inside the cup. The foams not only replace the original foam but there is also some "heavy and dense" foam that goes around the drivers (see pictures) to be uses as dampers to reduce vibrations that cause distortion.

Bellow the content of the tune-up kit: Angled pads + Foam kit. Right: angled pads above the original pads;

TH mod kit.jpg TH mod pads.jpg

Before, and... After foam applied around the drivers

TH Mod before.jpg TH Mod after.jpg TH Mod close.jpg

The result is the following:

1 - with only the pads changed for the Lawton angled pads, the result is positive in all situations. The headphone is now more precise while retaining it's "fun" sound signature (and the Pads are VERY confortable)

2 - With the new pads PLUS the foam kit installed:
- when used with my EC445, the result was disapointing: less good than "new pads only" !?
Bass were sometime rumbling, and some of the fun was gone. The TH900 becomes just another good headphone. No more TH900 signature.

- we then tested in on a A&K 70 mk2 DAP, and.... MIRACLE: suddenly the "tuned TH900" is now better that the original TH900 (still with the DAP). The fun is back !
It looks the Tuning kit offer very good synergy with a DAP. Can't explain why !

And we booth agreed with the above results....

As a matter of fact I remember 2 years ago a Headfier coming to my place with his TH900 with the LEVEL 3 lawton mod installed. (with in addition the Lawton Cups installed). The gentleman was very proud of his Mod, but when he tested it on my ED445, he agreed with me that my "stock TH900" sounded better than his modded TH900... on my EC445 (while at his home he was very happy with his mod)

So... I can't say if it is the EC445 which is not "compatible" with the Lawton Tune-up kit or.... if it is the DAP's low power that is taking full advantage of the tune-up Kit

conclusion for me is that the "angled pads" are always an improvement over the original Fostex pads, but that the Foam kit is not always a good thing.

For me: with EC445: only the LAwton Pads, but... with the DAP: "Pads + Foam Kit" is better

Attachments

• TH Mod 1.jpg
    TH Mod 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #275 of 343
Lawtons upgrade wood earcups each level gives a different sound.

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #276 of 343
will try to remove some damping.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #277 of 343
NU6CAQHl.jpg

PETEREK 2.5mm mono plugs + Lawton dampening kit + Dekoni hybrid pads - (actually found pad rolling to be one of the more appealing aspects of the hobby).

[edit]: spelling

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #278 of 343
Going to shoot this page back to life, might be intending to cop a used Th-900 but seller mentions the pads and I am leaning to get replacement pads. As much as how Zolkis and PlayitLoud’s carbon pads seem appealing, I have no time to do DIY.

If anybody have spare pairs of the carbon pads do let me know, and also, has anybody tried the D7200/5200 pads with the Th-900? Do they work? Are they better than stock or dekoni or lawton, because I have no time to wait for ZMF so they r out of the question

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #279 of 343
The best stock replacement pads are the original Fostex. Unfortunately no extra carbon foam pads here, only some foam but DIY work is needed. Denon pads are too small. Stax, Lawton, Brainwavz pads work, but anyways get original replacement pads at least for comparison.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #280 of 343
The best stock replacement pads are the original Fostex. Unfortunately no extra carbon foam pads here, only some foam but DIY work is needed. Denon pads are too small. Stax, Lawton, Brainwavz pads work, but anyways get original replacement pads at least for comparison.

I see, thanks for that. I asked regarding other Stock Pads because the Fostex stock pads are not readily available in Singapore... and every else which sells it seems
to be expensive as heck on top of outrageous shipping fees

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #281 of 343
Lawtons upgrade wood earcups each level gives a different sound.

Bumping this thread.

Can anyone offer any impressions on the different Lawton cups? They are beautiful but I wonder if anyone has experience with the different TYPES and can comment on their effects (or lack there of) on the sound.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #282 of 343
IMG-20190122-WA0001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back