Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #4,921 of 18,765
One comment I personally (or should I say my ears personally disagree) with zhunter above is that the ZD didn't wasn't that suitable with the TH-900 as much as the ZDSE maybe. The ZD has a OI of 12 ohm whilst the ZDSE allows 3 ohm or 12 ohm switchable OI. Between the ZD & the Invicta, the Invicta's headphone out sounds more "normal".

My ZD is being modified to a ZDSE equivalent & I should be able to pick it up this weekend. The modder asked for my TH-900 too during the mod.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #4,922 of 18,765
Quote:
Correct. This was aimed at posts like zhunter's above.

Gotcha. 
size]

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #4,923 of 18,765
One comment I personally (or should I say my ears personally disagree) with zhunter above is that the ZD didn't wasn't that suitable with the TH-900 as much as the ZDSE maybe. The ZD has a OI of 12 ohm whilst the ZDSE allows 3 ohm or 12 ohm switchable OI. Between the ZD & the Invicta, the Invicta's headphone out sounds more "normal".

My ZD is being modified to a ZDSE equivalent & I should be able to pick it up this weekend. The modder asked for my TH-900 too during the mod.

Lucky!! Keep us posted on the outcome!

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4,925 of 18,765
What was the amps in $1k that you were talking about? Mind to state them out ?
It may have been mentioned before but I personally like the Woo WA7 with the TH-900.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #4,927 of 18,765
Quote:

TH900 still sounds wonderfully out of the ZD, yes the ZD SE is better with lower impedance output. May I ask you where did you get your ZD modded to SE equivalent? I'm interested in getting my Zana modded too 
size]

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4,928 of 18,765
TH900 still sounds wonderfully out of the ZD, yes the ZD SE is better with lower impedance output. May I ask you where did you get your ZD modded to SE equivalent? I'm interested in getting my Zana modded too 
size]
There's a chap in Akihabara, Tokyo who does stuff like this...he even winds photo cartridges with a microscope :p. Although he does more speaker stuff, he was willing to do this mod for me - not to his preference. He's the kinda chap who believes in building an amp from scratch to suit the headphones (& he would have ripped the ZD apart if I let him, but I pull back the reins).

As such he needed my TH-900 headphones too to do the mod.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #4,929 of 18,765
My TH900 sounds really good with my Super 7 but I need to optimise my tube section, high are sometime close to sibilant.

My tube set are choose for my LCD2 :wink:

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,930 of 18,765
Has anyone got experience on shortening the cable of TH900? One of my friend going to shortening his TH900's cable from 3m to 1.5m base on its original cable in Moon Audio, and also change the connector to Oyaidr 3.5mm gold connector. (Just shortening the cable not change cable)

Would anyone has experience and give some advise of this? Will this affect the sound signiture of TH900? :)

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,931 of 18,765
Quote:
Has anyone got experience on shortening the cable of TH900? One of my friend going to shortening his TH900's cable from 3m to 1.5m base on its original cable in Moon Audio, and also change the connector to Oyaidr 3.5mm gold connector. (Just shortening the cable not change cable)

Would anyone has experience and give some advise of this? Will this affect the sound signiture of TH900?
smily_headphones1.gif

It shouldn't at all. Although, I haven't done this myself. Too scurred. 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back