Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,952 of 18,761
Quote:
OK OK some more pictures taken yesterday evening while listening to Queen on the terrasse...

Enjoy.... 

Yep I'm digging it man, great setting too I could imagine a glass of red kicking back watching the sun go down listen to Freddie, what more could you ask for.....

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,953 of 18,761
Quote:
SURPRISE....SURPRISE...

What is in this little [size=small]ruggedized[/size] case ?

Our " precious " of course...

Everything fitted inside: My TH-900 Fostex, but also my Tube Amp TU-05, it's charger, cables, and the source RWAK100 (soon upgraded to a RWAK-120-S with dual DAC chip and a "real 2volts" line-out)

the case, PERFECT fit for the TH-900, is NOT a pelican case but made by :

I say! Most good indeed.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4,955 of 18,761
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered the TH-900 today. It should arrive next week.

Awesome setup by the way bmichels, and great pictures.

Excellent! Please let us know what you think. As you may be aware, they take a few days to break in so give them a little time to really impress you. Happy listening
darthsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,956 of 18,761
I've been a little bit curious about something. According to the Innerfidelity measurements, the TH-900's phase measurement is not a straight line like which would be present on orthodynamic headphones and seems to have a range of about 20 degrees (not sure what this means). Is this audible or are there any disadvantages from this? 

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #4,957 of 18,761
Quote:
I've been a little bit curious about something. According to the Innerfidelity measurements, the TH-900's phase measurement is not a straight line like which would be present on orthodynamic headphones and seems to have a range of about 20 degrees (not sure what this means). Is this audible or are there any disadvantages from this?  

Yes, this is indeed audible. I think you're talking about the impedance curve. Orthodynamic headphones generally have a flat impedance curve, while the TH900 is not. Well, the TH900's impedance curve could be considered relatively flat compared to other headphones (take a look at HD800, for instance). The impedance curve is one of the factors that contribute to coloration of the headphones, and determines if there would be any audible distortions due to impedance mismatch and lack of damping factor (in combination with the output impedance of an amp). The impedance also matters too; although HD800 has a much more fluctuating curve, it actually has less distortion than TH900 because of its high impedance (which results in well dampening/controlling of the drivers), and sound more neutral too.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #4,958 of 18,761
Quote:

EDIT:
Ahhhh ... gotcha now. In my pre-edit reply I was thinking of the standard frequency response. I've never heard of phase angle before. I found this page helpful http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ACCircuit/PhaseAngle.html. It states "It is useful to thank of the phase angle as the angle by which the peak voltage leads or lags the current". Now I get your question I wouldn't even attempt a reply. It'll be interesting to see what others with more experience can advise you.

ANOTHER EDIT:
Tyll, he of Innerfidelity, discusses phase angle here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/271540/headphone-measurements-part-one-prolog/15#post_3474285. It's bake the noodle time
confused_face_2.gif

THIS WILL BE MY FINAL EDIT (I hope
tongue.gif
):

I believe it may be moving towards a better understanding if we put together (1) the fact that the Fostex TH-900 is a dynamic headphone (cf. other Fostex headphones which are orthodynamics), (2) Tyll's explanation, and (3) the following statement on orthodynamics (taken from here): "the diaphragm is driven more or less equally over its entire surface at once, obviating the need to make the diaphragm rigid so that it can therefore be as lightweight and agile and nonresonant as possible." The point I would take away is that phase angle occurs at lower levels where there is lower resonance. In orthos like the HifiMan HE-6, there is practically no phase angle because of the headphone's fundamental advantage in being as nonresonant as possible. So, what does that mean for any decision you may wish to make ... I guess it's a choice of ortho versus dynamic. If one were to go the dynamic route, then the phase angle comparison may be a worthwhile comparator to help decide between headphones.

This stuff is fascinating to me ... however, I always wonder the extent to which it actually matters in any non-technical sense, i.e. for musical enjoyment. No doubt there's a debate to be had ... in fact, I've seen it played out a lot already in various Head-Fi posts
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4,959 of 18,761
Quote:
SURPRISE....SURPRISE...

What is in this little [size=small]ruggedized[/size] case ?

Our " precious " of course...

Everything fitted inside: My TH-900 Fostex, but also my Tube Amp TU-05, it's charger, cables, and the source RWAK100 (soon upgraded to a RWAK-120-S with dual DAC chip and a "real 2volts" line-out)

the case, PERFECT fit for the TH-900, is NOT a pelican case but made by :

If you can fit a Fat Tire Amber Bock in there, then i know of no better transportable setup you have there. Awesome leather case for the amp you have there too! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,964 of 18,761
If you could pick one track and one track only you think shows off all the characteristics you like of your TH900, what would that one track be?

For me, Artist: Infected Mushroom, Album: Converting Vegetarians Track: Avratz

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4,965 of 18,761
If you could pick one track and one track only you think shows off all the characteristics you like of your TH900, what would that one track be?

For me, Artist: Infected Mushroom, Album: Converting Vegetarians Track: Avratz

Excellent choice!!!!!! One of my fav albums as well and also a great reference!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back