Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3,301 of 18,760
Okay, back in my room and my first impression is WOW!!

I said before in the TH600 thread that I preferred the look of Fostex's new phones with the black magnesium cups, but having seen the TH900 in real life I think I'm gonna have to take that back; the lacquer on the TH900 is just totally stunning. More subtle and darker than I expected:

As for the sound, the bass is fantastic as expected, but the whole range is superb and the imaging is the most impressive to me considering the closed design. Can't say much more about it at the moment but I'm delighted. Gonna be spending a lot more time with these beauties! 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3,302 of 18,760
Enjoy. :)

I agree that the soundstage is impressive for a "closed can". Designwise I think they look cheap - and a Fostex give away with the BIG white Fostex letters on the side. I know I am almost alone feeling that way regarding the design, but that is OK. They look cheap - and they are quite flimsy. I like them though - sound wise.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,303 of 18,760
Quote:
Designwise I think they look cheap - and a Fostex give away with the BIG white Fostex letters on the side. I know I am almost alone feeling that way regarding the design, but that is OK.

I think design-wise Audeze and HiFiMAN both "gave away" at earlier stages in their designs and that their full size headphones look ugly.

I know I am almost alone feeling that way regarding the design, but that is OK.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,304 of 18,760
That is OK. Differences are cultivating a diverse world. As long as we agree that Grados are totally off-piste; THAT is OK. :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3,306 of 18,760
Quote:
I agree that the soundstage is impressive for a "closed can". Designwise I think they look cheap - and a Fostex give away with the BIG white Fostex letters on the side. I know I am almost alone feeling that way regarding the design, but that is OK. They look cheap - and they are quite flimsy. I like them though - sound wise.  

About the logo you're not alone. Personally I prefer the way ath made their wood cup especially the w3000 the logo and letters were long but it mixed well with the cup created a kind of art work instead of standing out like the big white fostex

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,307 of 18,760
+1 on the loud brand logo, even if I've shared those thoughts before. Just bad taste I find those kind of concepts. Why not stamp it on your forehead while at at?! In platinum ink if you please, but it still looks ridiculous in my books. What I like about my W5000's is that the markings started to fade, and I decided to rub all off but the Raffinato word since that was still unblemished, and it looks so much better like that, and I'm in fact looking forward to when the Raffinato letters start to fade so I'll have a good excuse to rub that off too and enjoy just the beauty of the Makassar wood.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,308 of 18,760
Anyone have an idea how many TH900s have been produced so far? I would be interested to know.. mine are no. 433 and I notice the one that shipped with the new headphone stand a few pages earlier are in the mid-600s.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3,309 of 18,760
Quote:
Anyone have an idea how many TH900s have been produced so far? I would be interested to know.. mine are no. 433 and I notice the one that shipped with the new headphone stand a few pages earlier are in the mid-600s.

It's a safe guess probably around 700 but more in production. BTW, great avatar shot of TH900!

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,315 of 18,760
Quote:
Not my cup of tea in terms of design.

Seriously what's not to like? hey that's ok its a free world, and if we all had the same opinion it would be a pretty boring place. For me, the TH900 SQ is the most important part, it just so happens their SEXY as all Hell, in my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone.

0035X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back