Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,316 of 18,764
The color and method is really stunning, but the shape of the cups leaves a lot to be desired, coming at it from a purely aesthetic viewpoint. Looks like a ball of warm wax that got lightly hit by a round mallet...

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,317 of 18,764
Quote:
Seriously what's not to like? hey that's ok its a free world, and if we all had the same opinion it would be a pretty boring place. For me, the TH900 SQ is the most important part, it just so happens their SEXY as all Hell, in my opinion.

0035X

x2 for me as well!

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,318 of 18,764
Quote:
The color and method is really stunning, but the shape of the cups leaves a lot to be desired, coming at it from a purely aesthetic viewpoint. Looks like a ball of warm wax that got lightly hit by a round mallet...

+1 on the shape of the cups.. I actually liked the prototype model much better

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3,319 of 18,764
Even with that lip sticking out? 

Image: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread#post_8150858 (assuming that they are the same shape)

Though personally I am actually rather fond of how nice and sleek the D7000 looks.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #3,320 of 18,764
+1 on the shape of the cups.. I actually liked the prototype model much better

Did you hear the prototype? Curious what your thoughts are on the proto vs production. I've only heard the proto and thought it was very well balanced, not heavily balanced towards bass. Then people hear production TH900 and say it's very bassy. I'll get a chance to hear some production TH900s in 2 weeks to confirm my suspicions that the proto was tuned differently.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #3,321 of 18,764
>>was tuned differently
be aware that both have same time of burn-in - there is a significant difference between first hour and after 2 weeks of running

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,322 of 18,764
Quote:
Did you hear the prototype? Curious what your thoughts are on the proto vs production. I've only heard the proto and thought it was very well balanced, not heavily balanced towards bass. Then people hear production TH900 and say it's very bassy. I'll get a chance to hear some production TH900s in 2 weeks to confirm my suspicions that the proto was tuned differently.

did not get a chance to demo the prototype.. my only experience is with the production model.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3,323 of 18,764
Has anyone here compared the TH900 with Grado HP2? I know it's discontinued and rare, but I found a guy who's willing to sell it. I just want to know if it outperforms the TH900 in sound quality.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #3,324 of 18,764
I don't think they're very comparable, they're going for totally different things (heck, the HP2 does roll off in the sub-bass while the TH900 has really boosted bass among other wild differences...)

I wouldn't really compare them... but I'd say the HP-2's more neutral signature will be more likely to please more users with more genres than the TH900, and for me personally it is no contest between my HP-1's and my now sold TH900's as far as my ability to enjoy music.  I'm sure some others will have the opposite opinion.

The Fostex trounces the Grados on comfort though.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3,325 of 18,764
Purely the sensation of leather-type material might be better, but it's also never as breathy and cool as foam.

A well (for your head size basically) adjusted HP 1000 headband Grado with some padding between your head –and once you got used to that "rougher tactile sensation of the foam texture"– you don't notice it much anymore and I've worn mine for 8-20 hours on certain sessions without discomfort.

You can also use the locking screws –tight but not too much, and it's preferable to untighten them up before re-adjusting or lifting up the HP 1000 from your head– to give a backward horizontal angle to the cups to reduce exerted pressure on the back of your ear, which is where discomfort appear first when the headband is adjusted too tight (for my medium to medium-large head the stock HP2 arc shape is too tight, both for sound and comfort, but I can deal with the comfort well enough with the locking screw cup angling trick).

This all with flat pads, the least comfortable but the best sounding Grado pads in my opinion.

I used to avoid using the locking screws not wanting to hurt the re-sale value in possible any way but asked myself "which resale?", because these are not headphones I think I'm ever gonna sell frankly (especially not at the friendly low price I got them). Also take note that this is all stainless steel (rods) and aluminum (screws and rodblocks) here. I've seen (and bought) the HP1 of someone who used it for 20 years (and about half of that period being done without pads at all) tightening the screws with a strong hand and there is barely a scratch and merely more of the usual black rubber o-ring marks on the rods. Integrity and function of this area of the unit is still perfect; so it's definitely very solid and ready to take up normal to heavy use over many decades.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,326 of 18,764
The TH-900s are an amazing headphone.  It's a closed headphone, yet it sounds like an open one.  The best sounstage in a closed headphone to date.  It sounds great with any musical genre...it's an all-rounder. IIt isolates some, so wifey won't be bitching and moaning about the sound being too loud. The bass is miles ahead of the Denons.  Treble is perfect.  Mids a bit recessed, but just perfect for me.  It trounces the ATH3000ANV (although this one has addictive mids) and Ultrasone ED8 (this is my go to portable headphone; I don't care about the bling factor drawing attention)...it's not even close.  While most amps would drive these adequately, I've found the perfect one: The Hifiman EF-6.  I originally bought it to drive the HE-6 headphones, but it failed miserably when playing large symphonic works (clipping and smearing).  I was about to return the amp when I decided to try it with the Fostex and, voila, a match made in heaven.  The sound is just sublime.  You can listen for hours and there is no fatigue.  Warm, inviting, addictive, euphonious, comforting.  I've never heard anything better than Dire Straits and the Paul Simon Graceland album (i.e., wow, those African drums!) coming out of this combo.  This could indeed be the headphone that finally covers all the bases...it does everything so well.  I'm in love.  Could the SR009 be better....it could, but right now I can't imagine anything being better than this.  The EF-6 is a powerful monster, but I guess the Foxtex, for some reason unknown to me, thrives with a powerful amp.  By the way, it also does rather well with the Burson soloist, but not as well as with the EF-6.  Also does great with tube amps (i.e., wonderful with the Decware Taboo being driven by the CSP2 with mullard tubes all around; actually slightly behind the EF-6 in WOW factor).  Right now this is my favorite headphone.  It trumps all the others in my stable (i.e., HD800; T1; HE-6; LCD2; Ultrasone ED8; HD650; ATH3000ANV, AKG701; Beyer T5P; Grado RS1; Denon AD7000). 

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #3,327 of 18,764
Quote:
The TH-900s are an amazing headphone.  It's a closed headphone, yet it sounds like an open one.  The best sounstage in a closed headphone to date.  It sounds great with any musical genre...it's an all-rounder. IIt isolates some, so wifey won't be bitching and moaning about the sound being too loud. The bass is miles ahead of the Denons.  Treble is perfect.  Mids a bit recessed, but just perfect for me.  It trounces the ATH3000ANV (although this one has addictive mids) and Ultrasone ED8 (this is my go to portable headphone; I don't care about the bling factor drawing attention)...it's not even close.  While most amps would drive these adequately, I've found the perfect one: The Hifiman EF-6.  I originally bought it to drive the HE-6 headphones, but it failed miserably when playing large symphonic works (clipping and smearing).  I was about to return the amp when I decided to try it with the Fostex and, voila, a match made in heaven.  The sound is just sublime.  You can listen for hours and there is no fatigue.  Warm, inviting, addictive, euphonious, comforting.  I've never heard anything better than Dire Straits and the Paul Simon Graceland album (i.e., wow, those African drums!) coming out of this combo.  This could indeed be the headphone that finally covers all the bases...it does everything so well.  I'm in love.  Could the SR009 be better....it could, but right now I can't imagine anything being better than this.  The EF-6 is a powerful monster, but I guess the Foxtex, for some reason unknown to me, thrives with a powerful amp.  By the way, it also does rather well with the Burson soloist, but not as well as with the EF-6.  Also does great with tube amps (i.e., wonderful with the Decware Taboo being driven by the CSP2 with mullard tubes all around; actually slightly behind the EF-6 in WOW factor).  Right now this is my favorite headphone.  It trumps all the others in my stable (i.e., HD800; T1; HE-6; LCD2; Ultrasone ED8; HD650; ATH3000ANV, AKG701; Beyer T5P; Grado RS1; Denon AD7000). 

Wow awesome review fig, I'm glad you are enjoying the beauty that is the TH900. By the sounds of it the Hifiman EF-6 is a clear winner for you. Happy times
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #3,328 of 18,764
Quote:

Very similar to my experience. I will be getting the W3000anv for comparison soon but I have to agree, it's hard to beat the TH900, it is just amazing. I've actually never had any fatigue with the TH900, you just never get bored and the music is really inviting. I've been using the Burson HA-160 with the TH900 and I really like the combo but there isn't much control in the lower end however that leads to more enjoyable listening for genres like EDM or hard rock.
Currently, my 009 rig is better for acoustic and classical and the TH900 for everything else.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,329 of 18,764
I also a happy TH900 owner, having auditioned the Beyerdynamic T5p and T5p Balanced before falling in love with the TH900. My requirement was to have the best possible sound out of a portable rig, since I live in Dubai and frequently travel back home to Singapore, or holiday in nearby Europe or the sub-Continent. I love that I can listen to these for hours on end without feeling fatigued, the responsive transients, the warm bass, and the precise mids and highs, and that's just playing off an iPhone 4S (which functions purely as a FLAC/M4A transport, with the PHA-1 doing duty as a DAC+amp). The only headphones that I enjoy more than the TH900 is the Stax 007 (my dad picked up a 507 with a SRM-600 Limited Edition tube amp, and I found it only marginally better and with a more analytical signature) and the 009. 

I did, however, try the TH900 out on the Cary Audio SLI-80 tube amps, and they are nothing short of stunning, especially when run in triode mode (it's also capable of running in ultralinear mode). As in goosebumps kind of stunning - a private performance by Pavarotti, Diana Krall, or Tracy Chapman. For a smaller rig, I also tried the Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 and was impressed - warm without being coloured, delightful transparency across all ranges.

Just my 2 cents :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,330 of 18,764
I just listened to these at Jaben in SG, driven by a Go Vibe Porta Tube+ (this is ONE seriously impressive portable amp!). Compared with an HD650 (which I have and am familiar with). The TH900s just let the music out with some air around them (good details), neutral mids which aren't thin at all, good decay on strings (they almost sound too good on some remastered Fleetwood Mac tracks) and great low end (not with huge authority but you definitely won't miss it). It also confirmed that the HD650s are actually no slouches either but the TH900s are a headphone that seems VERY balanced across the frequency spectrum. 

At least my initial reaction was a lot more positive on the Fostex vs. the HD800s when I first listened to them.

I'm impressed. And thanks to the folks at Jaben SG for being gracious enough to let me audition them. Now I've got to save my pennies for these... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back