Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #15,573 of 18,761
Guys i spend my weekend testing my th900 in different amps, like Marantz HD DAC1, Violetric V200, NFB 15.1 and the last one was the Fostex HP-A8, i liked more on the V200, but none of them push the th900 on my taste, is there any recomendation? I like so much this bass... I want a little more on the mids and calm down on highs. I think i am very close to my endgame! Thanks

in terms of pure musicality/ euphonia, the LCD3 + Alo Studio Six I tried bested them for the genres I listen to, and I'm not even a fan of the Audeze sound in general. The Fostex TH-900 (yes, a closed can ... gasp) + GS-X MK2, to my mind, remains the most entertaining combo out of all the high-end rigs I've tried, easily besting the Abyss + LAu and LCD3 + Alo Six in terms of "high from music" moments and presentation.No other combo makes me want to bounce and bob around as much. I don't really care if the Fostex's get slagged off by "true audiophiles" for being too hi-fi sounding or whatever. Obviously there's some bias here if you look at the equipment listed in my profile, but it's equipment I bought after comparing them with everything available in the market, so it's somewhat justified, in my mind.
http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=1061.108

David did an awesome job with this guide, as he said it's his opinion, I for one would rank the Fostex TH900 much higher up around with the HD800. I tried the HD600 HD650 HD 700 and HD 800 last year – the HD800 in balanced configuration was my favorite Sennheiser. however on some amps & some songs there was a nasty sibilant treble. when I tried the TH900 there was no sibilance at all and music was so much more enjoyable – the HD800 had a larger sound stage (it's an open h/p) than the TH900 (a closed h/p). The HD800 has more of an analytical sound with the TH900 having a more euphonic signature – both phones retreave significant detail. The other bonus is in Australia the TH900 are significantly cheaper than USA ($1500. – 1600 vs $1900 up to $2300). Rarely does that happen as Australia is usually expensive for audio gear. In fact I heard from a head fier one of the Fostex reps for Australia told him the TH900 were selling out quickly. Some on HeadFi have suggested the TH900 is as classy as the Sony MDR-R10 a legend in its own right. If your looking at the HD800 consider auditioning the TH900 you may be quite surprised with the results.http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...hips-50-headphones-compared-14258/#post331097

I recently had the opportunity to try these biker build-off monstrosities at a meet in HK with a bunch of amps (Cavalli Liquid Gold, Alo Studio Six and half a dozen Woo Audio offerings being amongst them). They're good. Very good, in fact, especially with the Liquid Gold. But not really all that much better than a LCD 2, and the most I'd pay for these would be LCD 2 + aftermarket cable money. A LCD3 + Alo Six combo beats hands down this in terms of pure musicality. My champion pairing from the meet was still the Fostex TH-900 + HeadAmp GS-X MK2, which nothing could beat in my ears. We didn't have a Stax SR009 at the meet, but we did have a SR007 II and Woo Audio WES, and that imho beat this Abyss + Liquid Gold combo as well, easily. Seeing as an Abyss + Liquid Gold set costs about the same (maybe slightly more) than a SR009 + upspecced WA WES, I find the former criminally overpriced.

Replyhttp://headfijourney.blogspot.com/2013/07/abyss-ab-1266.html

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #15,574 of 18,761
My precious:
upload_2017-11-20_17-30-49.png

upload_2017-11-20_17-32-10.png

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #15,575 of 18,761
Has anyone heard better headphones than these for listening to electronic dance music: trance, house, techno, etc.? I haven't yet found anything that comes close. The bass and treble emphasis matches perfectly with most electronic music with the bass' excellence being unparalleled. Their detail retrieval is excellent. These headphones can have some problems with sibilance with vocals but there is no sibilance in non-vocal electronic tracks which is what I mostly listen to.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #15,576 of 18,761
Has anyone heard better headphones than these for listening to electronic dance music: trance, house, techno, etc.? I haven't yet found anything that comes close. The bass and treble emphasis matches perfectly with most electronic music with the bass' excellence being unparalleled. Their detail retrieval is excellent. These headphones can have some problems with sibilance with vocals but there is no sibilance in non-vocal electronic tracks which is what I mostly listen to.
Pro 82 is slightly more U-shaped, which isn't good for vocals, but great for instrumentals.
Bass hits just as deep and almost as hard, but is tighter - has less decay.
Daft Punk, Emancipator, Deadly Avenger, Lindsey Stirling sound amazing.
And with tuning foams Pro 82 can rise up to TH-900MK2 even with vocals, approximate it pretty closely.
Comparison with Fostex TH-900MK2

These mixes sound epic on Pro 82:

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #15,578 of 18,761
Where can I get those rings?
If you live in US, get it here: https://partstore.encompass.com/item/7212493/Denon/9H30001707/Pom_Plate_1_Pc_Set_Adh2000_500
They don't ship internationally under 200$, so outside of US you have to get creative...

1) Go to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2228401
2) Click on "Download All Files"
3) Unpack the downloaded file
4) Go to https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint
5) In step 2, upload the file "Fostex_TH_Pad_Adapter.stl" and set "Quantity" to at least 2 - you need a pair
6) In step 3, select "PLA" as the material
7) In step 4, you will see a list of manufacturers in your area - click "Select Service" on the closest/cheapest one
8) In step 1 of Checkout, choose any color you want under 100 Microns:
upload_2017-11-21_19-59-27.png

9) In step 2 of Checkout, choose delivery method
10) In step 3 of Checkout, leave a message to the manufacturer that you need 100% infill:
upload_2017-11-21_20-1-43.png

11) Review and submit the order.
12) The manufacturer will either accept the order as it is, or will send a PO for extra payment due to 100% infill (instead of the default 25%).
13) Profit.

You can also make attenuator discs: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2230350

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #15,579 of 18,761
Keep on going with the th900!
If you d like to make them sound a bit sweeter just try to connect to something else

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #15,580 of 18,761
Anybody tried the TH-900 with Fosgate Signature Headphone Amp ??
i am looking for a tube amp with low output impedance & less then 1500 $

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #15,581 of 18,761

You don’t like Schiit products I take it.
I’m a fanboy so of course I’d suggest trying the Lyr2 as the tube rolling is endless with this amp. I have many HP’s and cannot get enough of my TH900 with the plethora of tubes at my disposal with this HP. Low output impedance with lots of power.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #15,582 of 18,761

I would go with Woo Audio and they are all on sale at 10% OFF this week. Shoot them an email and ask them recommendations based on what you are looking for. Compared to Schiit house sound, the Woo Audio sound is fuller mids and smoother highs with better soundstage. I've owned Lyr 2, MJ 2, and WA7+TP with a good amount of auditioning of the WA8. Woo only does 100% tube amps and not hybrid like Schiit. But it's hard the beat the price point of Schiit and they never go on sale and have a better resale value than Woo. If you decide Schiit, I would also go with Lyr 2 as it is the more "tubey" of the models I've listened to.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #15,583 of 18,761
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #15,584 of 18,761
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #15,585 of 18,761
You don’t like Schiit products I take it.
I’m a fanboy so of course I’d suggest trying the Lyr2 as the tube rolling is endless with this amp. I have many HP’s and cannot get enough of my TH900 with the plethora of tubes at my disposal with this HP. Low output impedance with lots of power.
i remember from my reading the Lyr2 doesn't have large sound stage , this why its out of my list , but anyway thanks for the recommendation.
I would go with Woo Audio and they are all on sale at 10% OFF this week. Shoot them an email and ask them recommendations based on what you are looking for. Compared to Schiit house sound, the Woo Audio sound is fuller mids and smoother highs with better soundstage. I've owned Lyr 2, MJ 2, and WA7+TP with a good amount of auditioning of the WA8. Woo only does 100% tube amps and not hybrid like Schiit. But it's hard the beat the price point of Schiit and they never go on sale and have a better resale value than Woo. If you decide Schiit, I would also go with Lyr 2 as it is the more "tubey" of the models I've listened to.
i heard the woo wa6 before and i very liked it , it have smooth sound but the test was on a deferent headphone ..
i jut sent woo an email , will see what they will say , although i wasn't looking for pure tube amp , but your post encouraged me to include it in my list ,, thanks bro ..
This 45$ amp makes TH900MK2 sound like liquid gold: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...dphone-Amplifier-Stereo-HiFi/32763576425.html
Its main disadvantage is a high output power - 1.1W at 32 Ohm, so you don't get much volume to play around with when using sensitive headphones. I usually use it around 9-9:30AM.
hmm very tempting specially for the price :) , but i am looking for higher end amp
your post sure will benefit others looking for budget amps, thanks dear .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back