Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #347 of 4,538
Sivga 006, B8, and ISK HD9999 and this pro 82 is in my wish list, so if you compare with sivga and HD9999 will be nice for me

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #350 of 4,538
Was quick testing pro82 today versus m50x,srh840,mdr7506.
Deffintly best comfort of all, very good memory pads. Ears are tuching the drivers.

Was testing with bass boost off.
Less bass and higs than m50x. Bass is not as boomy as on m50x. More cultural sound on takstar. Better soundstage on m50x.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #351 of 4,538
Yesterday I have finally had a long session with Fostex TH-900MK2. Until now I only took it out of the box couple of times since the purchase, despite being back home for 2 weeks already.
I completely forgot about burn-in, so could only compare ootb TH-900MK2 with burned-in Pro 82.

Update: the impressions below were updated to reflect the burned-in TH-900Mk2

Comfort:
The default TH-900MK2 pads are quite uncomfortable when installed with the thick side in the back (default).
They also have almost zero isolation - now I understand why @Ossy_TK was asking if they are semi-open.
Rotating the pads 180 degrees helps to improve comfort and isolation, but not as much as installing TH-610 pads.
With the TH610 pads installed, Pro 82 and TH-900MK2 are very close in comfort, still with a small edge to Pro 82

Isolation:
Isolation is much better on Pro82. In a quiet office, when no music is playing, I can hear AC working on the Fostex (even with TH610 pads), but not on Takstar.

SQ:
As far as sound goes, TH-900MK2 isn't nearly as impressive ootb as it was in the store. Burning seemed to help.
Bass - Bassheads will more likely prefer boomier bass on TH-900MK2, it has better decay.
Audiophiles may go for the tighter bass on Pro 82.
Both go equally deep, but TH-900MK2 has a couple extra DBs in the bass.

Mids - TH-900MK2's mids are more forward, but slightly less clear. While vocals sound fuller on TH-900Mk2, I do prefer the amazing clarity on Pro 82.
However, you can tune Pro 82's mids to sound more like TH-900MK2: Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods
You can't tune TH-900MK2 to have more clarity...
I'll still take B8 over both TH-900MK2 and Pro 82 for vocal-heavy tracks.

Treble - Equally extended and clear on both, but Pro 82 sounds a bit more energetic and detailed - maybe due to more recessed mids.

Soundstage:
Th-900MK2 has a larger soundstage, yet often somehow sounds more "headphone-y" - like it's trying to fake it.
The amazing clarity of Pro 82 combined with more intimate (but not small!) soundstage results in better experience of presence.

Conclusion:
So far, TH-900MK2 and Pro 82 sound very close, much closer than Pro 82 and Pro 80.
I did think a few times that I had Pro 82 on my head, while it was actually the Fostex.

Afterthought:
When I was shopping for new headphones, I left Pro 82 in the hotel, and was only comparing the Fostex with other $1000+ headphones, most of which were very disappointing.
So it's possible I would have walked out empty-handed if I had Pro 82 with me...

The comparison above was with Pro 82 v1, the newer v2 version sounds even better, removing the 5kHz peak.
For more TH900-like bass response, you can try GM200:

1607522825778.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #352 of 4,538
I started to read from page 14, thought I was at no 1 hehe. Wrong tab.

But! I bought the isk HF2010, Takstar hi2050? The isk hf2010 are simply the best headphone Iv listened to..almost!
No joke! I am super interested in the Pro82's but seems like I know the hf2010 sound and I know they are excellent...I don't wanna buy these and not get the good sound that I know I can get from the ISK's. Mixes are awesome, bass mid highs, all is top!

So...what would be IT or Why should I buy the Pro82'd? They look good tho but recessed mids/vicals isnt maybe what I want...

Would love to have a good pair of closed cans tho why I thought of these.

Any semi-open DT880pro or ISK HF2010/Hi2050 users who tried these??

Also considered the Takstar HD5500 or the similar ISK closed ones :)
Really like ISK's, here's the page of my huge review haha: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...erx-qpad-thread.585356/page-296#post-13095373

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #353 of 4,538
I mentioned dt880(not pro,600ohms) before-Takstar is nowhere near imho.I gave mine away to my brother,as birthday gift,couldn't listen more than 5 minutes.I'm really astonished by exellent reviews.They must like their signature.I did not.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #354 of 4,538
For a non-risky low budget investment you can consider the ISK HP2011. I don't own the HF2010 but from the reviews I got that closed 2011 are a bit better than the open 2010: less bass (for a more neutral signature), more treble extension, more transparency and even bigger soundstage. But that's my understanding - I could be wrong.
BenF has rated the 2011 lower than Pro82 in his comparisons though so one might guess - maybe the takstars worth 2x money, maybe not...

PS: the 2011s really shined after I ran them through a tube amp, before they were over analytical and dry.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #356 of 4,538
Its possible to replace pads on this takstar?
Hello there,
Yes, it is possible but you need to be careful. I changed out mine with the Brainwavz HM5 pads, and man what a world of difference in comfort. I hate it when any part of my ear touches the inside. Around the stock pad you will feel a slight lip where the pad wraps around inside. There is a plastic ring that hold the pads on by clips, so you will need to pry the ring off very carefully starting at one end, and just carefully work your way around. Once off, you will notice that the pad has holes cut out for the pegs that keeps them in place I believe, so you will need to cut out those sections on your replacement set, but be carful not to cut too far out, or you will see your cuts once you click the rings back in place. But it is definitely worth doing. Just take your time, and it should go fairly easy.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #358 of 4,538
I'm still on the fence between ISK HD9999, Bosshifi B8 and this one. Very curious to know your take BenF!

Same here!!! Some B8 reviews were faulty but some ppl here prefer them to the Pro82's ans isk's .... I am SUPER overwhelmed with the isk hf2010, mids are not recessed and still open/semi but really good for mixing and soundstage is fantastic!

Anone who could chip in..?

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #359 of 4,538
Same here!!! Some B8 reviews were faulty but some ppl here prefer them to the Pro82's ans isk's .... I am SUPER overwhelmed with the isk hf2010, mids are not recessed and still open/semi but really good for mixing and soundstage is fantastic!

Anone who could chip in..?

Pro 82 is unobtanium right now, unless you can buy from Headphoniaks - in which case go for it, before it's too late (if you have transparent high quality DAC/Amp)
Otherwise go for B8 - HD9999 has sucked out thin mids, only sounds good with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back