Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #14,596 of 18,765
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdjneytbxeQ

Bass :)

Anyways I did some mild EQ adjustments to this headphone and now they're perfect.  Granted mine have some modifications done to them already (zolkis/partial Lawton) this really tightened them up in the bass departement and removes that "V".  Very open for a closed headphone.  I own the HD600 as well so I'm familiar with what open is supposed to sound like.  

do you like the law tons? I bought a th900 off ebay with them and I was curious how difference it made? Does it change the way they sound by much? And what amp do you use? I might try that eq as well.

Interesting use of eq. It's up where used, when you really want frequency down to create no saturation effects, but whatever works for you. I find full Lawton mod with hpa8 doesn't need any eq. Granted the mod is its own eq and increased sound stage and volume as an effect. Granted Hugo and TT sound fine as well, but different.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #14,597 of 18,765
Anyhow, I didn't think too much of the Mojo prior to pairing it with my 900's but they do make a good combination to my ears.

So you really like the MOJO paired with the th900? I read a review on here saying that the burson solist pair fantastic with them and in really tempted but would have to get a separate dac with them. Habe you heard of that pairing or any other good amps to go with it? My o2/dac was sent in today for repairs and thinking of getting something else.[/quote]

Regarding Burson,  you could get the Vituoso V2+ which is preamp, headamp and DAC in one!

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #14,598 of 18,765
Regarding Burson,  you could get the Vituoso V2+ which is preamp, headamp and DAC in one!

Well it says output impedance is 3 ohm which is higher than I want for my 25-35 ohm cans. And is a little more than I wanted to spend unless it was just the greatest thing ever. Wanted to keep it 1k or less if possible. The burson solist is $400 and can get a good dac for $600.

But appreciate the suggestion!

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #14,599 of 18,765
Well it says output impedance is 3 ohm which is higher than I want for my 25-35 ohm cans. And is a little more than I wanted to spend unless it was just the greatest thing ever. Wanted to keep it 1k or less if possible. The burson solist is $400 and can get a good dac for $600.

But appreciate the suggestion!

http://violectric-usa.com/headphone-amplifiers/hpa-v280 (this in balanced out is TOTL grade)

http://violectric-usa.com/headphone-amplifiers/hpa-v200

Oppo ha-1 

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #14,600 of 18,765
Anyhow, I didn't think too much of the Mojo prior to pairing it with my 900's but they do make a good combination to my ears.

So you really like the MOJO paired with the th900? I read a review on here saying that the burson solist pair fantastic with them and in really tempted but would have to get a separate dac with them. Habe you heard of that pairing or any other good amps to go with it? My o2/dac was sent in today for repairs and thinking of getting something else.[/quote]

I do like the Mojo paired with the 900's. Without even critically listening, I was catching nuances in songs I've never heard before. And, for me, it was easy just to rock out with the combo. Hence, not critically listening to the music. :wink: I'm getting to the point where I prefer the Mojo over my Grace m9XX. There are things I like better about the Grace (interface mostly) but the Mojo seems to just fall into place with me and the 900's. Roon randomly shuffled the Deftones Adrenaline album after listening to some GlassJaw (good on Roon) and I've never heard the Deftones sound so good. I listened to Be Quiet and Drive at least four times in a row. The presentation was quite spacious, extended at both ends, fast, and flat out fun! Somewhere during the Deftones jam out session I decided Run the Jewels vol. 2 was up next. 'Close Your Eyes' is a treat on the 900's and the Mojo does deliver to the point where I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.    

However, so much of this is entirely subjective. Plus, you may have needs and/or (un)limitations that I don't. It's hard to balance all of the feedback, impressions, choices, etc. For example, I own a small space and live a fairly minimal lifestyle, so I have constraints (some self imposed) on the number and size of audio related items I can own at any one time. The size of my current desktop area measures 32'' x 20'' and I have a small shelf dedicated to headphones and related equipment. So, I'm unlikely to ever own a Bakoon or some other large amp. Stacks? Not for me. So, something like the Audeze Deckard, Grace m9XX, Chord Mojo (I think the Hugo is overpriced), some Audio GD variant, etc. makes a lot of sense given my restrictions and that my primary chain is a Surface Book>NAS>Roon>dac/amp>900's. Also, if you listen to IEM's (desktop and/or on-the-go) that's another consideration if you don't want a lot of gear or have a smaller budget.

So, the questions... What is it you're looking to get out of your 900's? How/where do you listen? Musical preferences? What are you working with in terms of space, budget, etc.? I'm sure there are a number of folks on here willing to offer up their advice. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

- Jamie

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #14,602 of 18,765
  The Mojo seemed too bright for me, even though clarity was good. You need to check on that.

!! May I please ask in comparison to which other DAC/Amp? If the Mojo was too bright then I think the Hugo pairing would be even more so. Although I never owned any of the Chords the Mojo was the preferred one for me as it was somewhat more "wholesome" sounding with the lower end than the Hugo (v1.0).

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #14,603 of 18,765
  Omg the sub bass on this track + TH900... What 
basshead.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOKb0TKpKbk

This is TH900's special forte, what an incredible sub bass.

(and anyone else find these awesome movie cans... lol I watched 4 horror movies yesterday with them)

Yeah that ones is pretty good...But if you wanna feel the earth shake, check out this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2xJ3JDokk&index=23&t=98s&list=LL0HWCnYB8r55iWbP___or2Q
Also if you use google chrome, this little add on eq for youtube is fabulous and super easy to use Ears: Bass Boost, EQ Any Audio! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ears-bass-boost-eq-any-au/nfdfiepdkbnoanddpianalelglmfooik?hl=en

here is another tune 4 u as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1wBk3H2LI&t=1714s

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #14,604 of 18,765

!! May I please ask in comparison to which other DAC/Amp? If the Mojo was too bright then I think the Hugo pairing would be even more so. Although I never owned any of the Chords the Mojo was the preferred one for me as it was somewhat more "wholesome" sounding with the lower end than the Hugo (v1.0).

First of all, in comparison to known live music/recording and my ear/brain (= subjective opinion which I made clear). One doesn't need comparisons *with other equipment* for that (i.e. what is bright). Then, in comparison with every DAC I have heard, the Mojo that I have heard was a bit on the brighter side for me with the TH900 (which is the context here), and I am not young. I don't get the surprise, should everyone be blown away by the Mojo??? Of course this is personal: that is why I suggested to check this aspect out in person. Since the Poly came out I thought about giving a second chance to the Mojo and deal with the apparent brightness perhaps by modding the TH900 further in that direction, but I am too busy with other stuff now. Nota bene, I have not heard the Mojo with other headphones, so it may not cross the line with other headphones.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #14,605 of 18,765
Coming from Bifrost Uber, Mojo sounded a lot smoother and not-at-all too bright for my ears. But these are subjective matters of course.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #14,606 of 18,765

First of all, in comparison to known live music/recording and my ear/brain (= subjective opinion which I made clear). One doesn't need comparisons *with other equipment* for that (i.e. what is bright). Then, in comparison with every DAC I have heard, the Mojo that I have heard was a bit on the brighter side for me with the TH900 (which is the context here), and I am not young. I don't get the surprise, should everyone be blown away by the Mojo??? Of course this is personal: that is why I suggested to check this aspect out in person. Since the Poly came out I thought about giving a second chance to the Mojo and deal with the apparent brightness perhaps by modding the TH900 further in that direction, but I am too busy with other stuff now. Nota bene, I have not heard the Mojo with other headphones, so it may not cross the line with other headphones.

Why take into offence? It was merely a question to provide more context to your original statement.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #14,607 of 18,765

Why take into offence? It was merely a question to provide more context to your original statement.

No offence at all, more like surprise on why the perception of brightness would be relative to other equipment :). Sorry if it was defensive. Anyway I might give the Mojo+Poly another shot with different closed headphones (Z1R and K872).

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #14,610 of 18,765
just dumped my headphones. it's change up time again. 20 years ago my RS1s and hd600's were the shazam. last 3 years the lcd-3s and hd800s were my main cans. but i got the itch, so the lcd-3s started feeling "hot". the hd800s falling short somehow. i just sold bothe and have a pair of beyer t1 g2s and a pair of fostex th900s on their way. i am very very very excited. 

my amp is the burson soloist. tube output dac by grant fidelity has a lovely amperex white label ny 1957 tube glowing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back