Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #14,626 of 18,765
  Yep, it seems the dealer cancelled the order even if yesterday I received a confirmation that the item is on stock.

Beware - my bank explained that since you have pressed Buy on amazon, you have given authorization for payment from your credit card linked to amazon, and the seller can take that off without shipping, and then amazon will refund you (basically they steal from amazon, and if you're unlucky, the seller might see your credit card info and misuse it - though I am not sure about the latter, since I haven't been selling on amazon).

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #14,627 of 18,765

Beware - my bank explained that since you have pressed Buy on amazon, you have given authorization for payment from your credit card linked to amazon, and the seller can take that off without shipping, and then amazon will refund you (basically they steal from amazon, and if you're unlucky, the seller might see your credit card info and misuse it - though I am not sure about the latter, since I haven't been selling on amazon).

I opened a ticket to amazon to warn them. They seem very relaxed and told me that my money are most probably blocked by the bank and I will receive them back. If amazon does not check anything this is their problem, I have done my best to inform them about anything suspicious. Regarding my card, I used an EUR card which I use only on amazon or other international services. It has only 20EUR left on it and I put money only when I order something. This is an additional layer of security I always use when doing online shopping. So no worries that they will misuse this card, all they can do is to steal 20EUR which honestly is not a big problem.
Anyway I am sad that I will not have the chance to try the TH-900. But we will see if I will find another good offer. I do not want to spend the whole price on them since I just bought last month the T1.2 at almost 1000 EUR from Beyerdynamic.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #14,628 of 18,765

I opened a ticket to amazon to warn them. They seem very relaxed and told me that my money are most probably blocked by the bank and I will receive them back.

I have specifically asked this from the bank and they said even though they (the bank) have released the lock on the amount, the seller can still lift the amount according to the payment authorization, because it's been done by me and the bank does not undo decisions I have expressed, nor does Amazon. The bank advised if I am not sure amazon keeps the credit card details secret from sellers, then I should change the credit card for safety, which I did.

Amazon should have a feature to mark an offer as scam, or likely scam.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #14,629 of 18,765
I think part of the problem is that these sellers go quickly, once found out and they reopen under a different name on Amazon.

If any company writes to you for card details or whatever, then Amazon need to be told so that they can shut them down. They'll appear literally, days later under a new name.

Third party sellers are a worry on Amazon.

One of the members on DIYAH went through a 'bogus' buy with one of these clowns and he got the email asking to pay. He then asked them if they could supply the th900 not in red, but in green. They agreed to send a green one.

Very sad that people have to be so wary of people like this.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #14,630 of 18,765
Yep, I admit I was more on the "heart thinking" than "brain thinking" but what I've done was to order in the amazon website. Ordering in the website should normally defend me of any money loss if the order has status "cancelled". I am not very happy to see that most probably Amazon will be the victim. Well, that's life. Since this event I think more often about TH-900 and I saw some decent offer on ebay at 800$.
I will think and see, if indeed I will buy them or not. In the meantime I will read more to see if these cans will work fine with my existing equipment.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #14,631 of 18,765
I saw an amp on there a couple days ago and was considering it but looked at the feedback and they had a ZERO positive feedback score (only 2 sales in the last year, both negative). I looked at them and it was some company, not an individual, and stated customer satisfaction was a huge priority lol.

Anyone know is there a way to see what the problem was, what the person said? I can only find the list of how many were positive or negative, but you should be able to see what they said about the company!

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #14,632 of 18,765
  Anyhow, your advice is that the TH-900 are good for rock/metal, not too harsh and can be easily used with any DAC chip?

Some people find that the treble of TH900 can be too much, but I don't. It's certainly not a forgiving headphone, so poorly mastered music will sound like crap. I don't think TH900 is too picky about equipment, but I would try to avoid pairing them with bright sounding gear.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #14,633 of 18,765
I would urge people only to buy the TH900 or other TOTL headphones from reputable shops, even if that means that you cannot make a great bargain. I just realised how important it is to have a warranty on you headphones (my TH900 have a driver failure). Buying secondhand or from unauthorized dealers can limit your warranty claims.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #14,635 of 18,765
Well I ordered a jotunheim to run the th900 in balanced. Anyone tried that combo? I'm hoping it sounds good

Let us know.  I may pick up one of those Schiit amps down the road.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #14,637 of 18,765
I think part of the problem is that these sellers go quickly, once found out and they reopen under a different name on Amazon.

If any company writes to you for card details or whatever, then Amazon need to be told so that they can shut them down. They'll appear literally, days later under a new name.

Third party sellers are a worry on Amazon.

One of the members on DIYAH went through a 'bogus' buy with one of these clowns and he got the email asking to pay. He then asked them if they could supply the th900 not in red, but in green. They agreed to send a green one.

Very sad that people have to be so wary of people like this.

I've been searching for hours, where do I find a green one? :wink:

The only thing of real substance I have to add here is that there is a small chance some really shady deals could be real, but the seller stole the gear. So better not to chance it either way, even with pics and good communication...two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back