Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #12,841 of 18,765

What measurements? If you're talking about frequency response/sound signature, something being "better" is completely subjective. 

From everything I've read so far, the the TH-900 has better resolution, detail, etc. 

Resolution, detail, etc are exactly the subjective terms. Unless you refer to impulse response, CSD, distortion figures, etc.
I cannot link them X00 measurements here, but you can find them.
I think good measurements are a sufficiently necessary, but not necessarily sufficient condition to good sound :).
The TH900 does have 3 serious (>10 dB) dips in its FR, which when improved do make a lot of difference on the perceived sound, when I compare it with a sufficiently flat headphone. Parts of it is still better than parts of other headphones, and that may be enough for your brain to pick the good and correct the bad, judging them better headphones than others, but as you said, it's subjective. It is a totally legitimate wish to get better measurements IF the sound quality also gets better. The two are in correlation, but there are factors that are not easily rendered by current measurements techniques. I am aware of research work on this front but it will take a lot of time to get to the industry.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #12,842 of 18,765
 Resolution, detail, etc are exactly the subjective terms.

Resolution and detail are subjective? I'm pretty sure they're objective. 

I think good measurements are a sufficiently necessary, but not necessarily sufficient condition to good sound :).

I agree with you there. And you saying that the TH-X00 "sounds better" is subjective opinion. Technically (resolution, detail, etc.), the TH-900 is a superior headphone. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #12,844 of 18,765
Nevertheless, I would like the X00 team do mods to the TH900... if they would get the TH900 measure as good as the X00 andsound better, I would get that drop for sure. 

That is a direct quote from a previous post by you. You're suggesting here that the TH-900 unmodded doesn't "measure as good" and "sounds worse" than the TH-X00. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #12,846 of 18,765
Sound better in that context, which was the TH900 alone, means it sounds better than itself. I didn't say sound better than the X00.

But anyway we are in disagreement about terms so no surprise for misunderstandings :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #12,847 of 18,765
Ok... so are you saying the TH-900 unmodded doesn't measure as well as the TH-X00, but sounds better than it? 

If so, again... saying something "measures well" can be either subjective or objective, depending on what you're measuring. For things like resolution and detail, it's an objective measurement. For something like the frequency response, I imagine that's subjective.

But considering the fact that the TH-900 has better resolution and detail than the TH-X00, when you say that the TH-X00 "measures better" than the TH-900, I can only imagine you're speaking in subjective terms. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #12,848 of 18,765
 But anyway we are in disagreement about terms so no surprise for misunderstandings 
smily_headphones1.gif

Right, and that's the issue I had with Purrin's comments. Some people say "something sounds better" as if it's an objective fact, when most of the time, it's just subjective opinion. 

Due to Purrin's comments, a LOT of people thought they were "buying a TH-900 at a TH-600's price", which I wouldn't be surprised if it was hurtful to a lot of people. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #12,849 of 18,765
While I try to respect that from my part, I don't really understand this: if there is place to discuss cables and amp pairing, why mods are off topic, especially the EZ ones. They are not more junk than other talk, and this is not a manufacturers topic, but a hobbyist one. However, if local culture has formed and wants to move mods talk out to own threads or face the wrath of guardians, that's fine as a policy, just not for rational reasons.

Instead it would make more sense to be able to attach labels to posts (by authors and admins), and people could set filters on labels like "review", "mod", "cables", "amps pairing", "source pairing", "question", etc.

given that there are now two threads dedicated to modding the th900, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect mod talk to take place there rather than here.

ever been to a library? it's both rational and practical to create a sub-category within a subject or in this case, a separate but related forum thread when the need arises. if a forum thread dedicated to the discussion of a (stock) headphone is becoming derailed by posts about modding it, then it's reasonable to move those posts to a separate thread created for that purpose. it also makes forum searches easier - just like a library!

are you aware that there is a forum for the discussion of cables, power, tweaks, speakers and accessories? i noticed in another headphone thread that an admin instructed some head-fiers who were arguing over cables to take it there. that made sense to me. there are also forums dedicated to head amps and dedicated source components. they seem like appropriate places to discuss those topics at length. so there's really no excuse for this or any other headphone thread to be overrun with posts relating to those topics either. the forums are already in place should members think to use them.

and i think you're forgetting that there are folks who come here expecting to find out more about the (stock) th900 and would prefer to read posts about it, rather than wade through a thread clogged with posts about modding it, cable talk along with the arguments that inevitably follow, and the always contentious subject of burn-in.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #12,850 of 18,765
Right, and that's the issue I had with Purrin's comments. Some people say "something sounds better" as if it's an objective fact, when most of the time, it's just subjective opinion. 

Due to Purrin's comments, a LOT of people thought they were "buying a TH-900 at a TH-600's price", which I wouldn't be surprised if it was hurtful to a lot of people. 

I agree with that. But he has actually included subjective evaluation as well. Nevertheless, a lot of people did try the X00 and decided for the TH900. For me it was never a question, I voted for the better driver and tried to fix the rest :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #12,851 of 18,765
given that there are now two threads dedicated to modding the th900, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect mod talk to take place there rather than here.

Fine, but the thread starter didn't constrain the topic to e.g. only reviews (or to any defined set of constraints). You are one and most loud about perceived off-topics, and cause enough headache that life is easier when complying. However, the reasons are yours and I have mine to disagree.

ever been to a library? it's both rational and practical to create a sub-category within a subject or in this case, a separate but related forum thread when the need arises. if a forum thread dedicated to the discussion of a (stock) headphone is becoming derailed by posts about modding it, then it's reasonable to move those posts to a separate thread created for that purpose. it also makes forum searches easier - just like a library!

The point I made was exactly about proposing better infrastructure for categorizing and filtering, which is technically quite feasible. Ever used gmail?

are you aware that there is a forum for the discussion of cables, power, tweaks, speakers and accessories? i noticed in another headphone thread that an admin instructed some head-fiers who were arguing over cables to take it there. that made sense to me. there are also forums dedicated to head amps and dedicated source components. they seem like appropriate places to discuss those topics at length. so there's really no excuse for this or any other headphone thread to be overrun with posts relating to those topics either. the forums are already in place should members think to use them.

Yes, I am - but it is inevitable that in any given forum there will be talks about related { cables, sources, amps } etc. Rather than forbidding it,  IMHO it would be better to solve the problem at its root: improve the infrastructure so that you could set a preference on what you see.

and i think you're forgetting that there are folks who come here expecting to find out more about the (stock) th900 and would prefer to read posts about it, rather than wade through a thread clogged with posts about modding it, cable talk along with the arguments that inevitably follow, and the always contentious subject of burn-in.

I agree that is a legitimate argument, and I am supporting it, but it's not good enough reason to exclude everything else, especially when the thread starter was not specific about this, and when there I do see a technical solution that would solve the problem. Anyway, I am fine with such policies, especially if they are a culture on head-fi (same arguments and rules valid to every topic): it is possible to start a micro-thread about everything, or fork threads indefinitely as different people label as off-topic various things that irritates them, and spend a lot of talk about what's canonical and what's not. Then of course we can use search to find things we want. It's possible, but we could do better than that.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #12,852 of 18,765
Guys, move on from this or find yourself locked out of the thread.

Here's my proposed direction :-

1) If it's comparing the TH-900 to other cans (included modded TH-900's), that can stay here
2) if it's comparing a modded TH-900 with other cans (excluding stock TH-900 which is covered in #1), please use other threads
3) if it's how to mod a TH-900, URLs to that thread can be posted on where to go but future follow ups about modding go to that other thread

Meanwhile, just enjoy your TH-900 :-

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #12,855 of 18,765

You've just posted a photo about my 3 favorite headphones, even in stock form :). -- with only the rightmost being the one mods don't improve considerably :wink:
The amps are as much worthy of praise...

I've got the HP-V8 as a loaner for this week. Fostex asked if I wanted to give it a listen - who could say No at such an opportunity? The other Eddie Currents are mine with the ZD rather heavily modified to be like a ZDSE+ (something between the ZDSE and the new ZDS?). More on the HP-V8 later in the week in the HP-V8 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back