Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #12,858 of 18,765
Really enjoying my Th900 with the Mojo, pair very well. Haven't found anything I don't enjoy with the Fostex, even with my phone it sounds very good. Excellent choice for my first headphone.

D.man! I couldn't do it as my first headphones. Since I got it, I keep loving it more and more :D. That bass, oh ghost!, I could crank it to be a total bass monster (foam placement #3) and it is still good

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #12,860 of 18,765
Lol. Figured I'd go almost to the top... Next stop Abyss? I'm really happy with the Fostex though, no need to upgrade. Literally sounds perfect to my ears, although Moar bass would be nice. :grinning::grinning:

Check this out for more bass. I recommend pad mods and foam placement to position #3, or play around with all the mods and decide for yourself which you would prefer better. Shoot questions away :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #12,861 of 18,765
Lol. Figured I'd go almost to the top... Next stop Abyss? I'm really happy with the Fostex though, no need to upgrade. Literally sounds perfect to my ears, although Moar bass would be nice. :grinning::grinning:

the abyss won't give you "moar" bass than the th900 but it's a fun listen

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #12,862 of 18,765
Check this out for more bass. I recommend pad mods and foam placement to position #3, or play around with all the mods and decide for yourself which you would prefer better. Shoot questions away :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles

Thank you, I've seen that a few months back. At the time my Fostex were collecting lots of dust. Started using them again recently.

the abyss won't give you "moar" bass than the th900 but it's a fun listen

I'd love to hear it, but there really isn't a way to pull it off right now. Wifey will definitely see and hear it... And wonder why I bought a new pair of headphones. She never said anything about the Fostex, as she really doesn't care what I do... But when she starts seeing more toys, especially extras of what I already have, she wouldn't understand. Then, the whole price thing. I don't feel comfortable lying, but omitting the truth from time to time leaves me no guilt.

Add to the fact that we are looking to purchase a home where we live and it would be our first major purchase together, not really the right thing to do. I already own a house, which is ours now, but she never purchased a house and it's something I'm looking forward to doing with her. She grew up dirt poor, me, I had just about everything I've wanted in life. She deserves more... Not me.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #12,865 of 18,765
Has anyone tried applying the ThX00 parts on Th900 to bring the mid more forward?
I'm considering about getting the TH900 but its V shaped sound signature's hindering me.

Dear Head-fier member, your TH900 can turn into anything you would love, be it Vshaped or more mid, more trebles, you would love it a lot when you see how capable it is. Look onto the 2 posts before you, you will see a mod thread for it.

Because, to answer your question, taking TH-X00 parts and put it on Th900 would be a heck of a job (need 2 headphone..lol). Therefore, I recommend you to see the above mod thread first

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #12,867 of 18,765
I can vouch for the foam mods being insanely simple and effective. You dont even need to unscrew anything

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #12,868 of 18,765
I can vouch for the foam mods being insanely simple and effective. You dont even need to unscrew anything

Me as well. I was very impressed by the pad trimming and foam placement mod being able to modify the sound of the TH900 so much. @whitigir's guide is amazing and even though he gives a few great placements with examples of how they change the sound, you can even play with it further like I did and keep adjusting it until you find a sound that suits you. Definitely something to check out before giving the headphones a complete judgement.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #12,869 of 18,765
Me as well. I was very impressed by the pad trimming and foam placement mod being able to modify the sound of the TH900 so much. @whitigir's guide is amazing and even though he gives a few great placements with examples of how they change the sound, you can even play with it further like I did and keep adjusting it until you find a sound that suits you. Definitely something to check out before giving the headphones a complete judgement.

Yeah, agreed, and I gave specific tuning for references to avoid people being confused and overwhelmed with the many mods. My guides were a total comprehensive on the th900 and other Fostex variants to cater to your personal preferences :). Fortunately, it is so Easy, and you don't need any Fancy items at all. I am glad you love it

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #12,870 of 18,765
I haven't pitched into the TH-900 thread for ages. This past week however, I've been listening to the TH-900 quite a bit since Fostex loaned me their HP-V8 for a week (see my sig for my impressions on it). But they also loaned me an XLR balanced TH-900 - no, not the new one with detachable cables but the original that's been snipped and re-terminated.

Now I don't know if it's the amp, or if the loaner XLR balanced TH-900, but assuming there's no different to the Fostex TH-900 & mine, balanced makes heck of a difference at least off this amp. It's just more engaging, more spacious, more distinctive instrument separation. It's almost tempting to have my TH-900 re-terminated and changing my Zana Deux if balancing makes that much more of a difference on the TH-900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back