Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #11,207 of 18,765
The TH900 (or TH900 Mk2) is next on my list of headphones I'd like to try/own. On paper I think it'll be a perfect balance between what I enjoy about both my Sig Pro and DT990/600.

Definitely see if you can get a loaner to try it before you buy it. On my setup, I was actually very underwhelmed when I first got it, so much so that I went deep down the modding rabbit hole to finally get it to where I want it. Later on, I compared my modded TH900 to a stock TH900, and while I think the former is still better, I was surprised by how good I still thought the latter sounded. It might be the brain burn in, or the different setup I listened to it on though. I can totally see how the TH900 is a love-it-or-hate-it type can. Just don't be surprised if you finally save up for them, put them on, and feel that they don't (immediately) sound like ~$1000 headphones.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #11,208 of 18,765
Likewise on all counts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Things have improved over ten years which is the important thing for me. This hobby helps pass the time in a satisfying way if I might add. It's fun to read about what a user's plans are and how much they enjoy a new part of their audio chain.

The TH900 (or TH900 Mk2) is next on my list of headphones I'd like to try/own. On paper I think it'll be a perfect balance between what I enjoy about both my Sig Pro and DT990/600.

There's a MKII now???

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #11,209 of 18,765
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #11,211 of 18,765
While the HD800 is the most technically advanced dynamic headphones in regards to soundstage and imaging, the TH900 is technically unbeatable in other aspects: the treble and bass extension. 

There are no other headphones on the market that can go up to 15kHz and down to 50Hz with such quantity and low distortion. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #11,212 of 18,765
There are no other headphones on the market that can go up to 15kHz and down to 50Hz with such quantity and low distortion. 

You likely mean the best closed headphone :).

IMO the Hifiman HE-1000 is better - at double the retail price. Perhaps a bit less impact (though jerg has a mod for that already), but far better overall.
IMO also the Audeze LCD-3 is better (but the LCD-XC is not).

My modded Stax 007 Mk1 (which I prefer over the 009, and the HE-1000) sounds more dynamic and with better bass than my modded TH900, which is better than the stock in this regard (perhaps I could further improve the TH900). Also, it sounds more fluid in the midrange and treble, and has higher musical resolution. It's on another level altogether when I alternate them during listening. The Stax is slightly more expensive as well.

Also keep an eye on the Dharma Enigma D1000.

But I agree the TH900 is the best closed headphone at the moment.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #11,213 of 18,765

But I agree the TH900 is the best closed headphone at the moment.

I wonder how it compares to the Mr. Speakers Ether C. From what I've been reading and what I've heard of the Ether, we could have a contender on our hands :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11,215 of 18,765
I wonder how it compares to the Mr. Speakers Ether C. From what I've been reading and what I've heard of the Ether, we could have a contender on our hands :)

Yes. The carbon fiber cups are nice. I would be interested in having the TH900 driver in a full carbon fiber enclosure... But this planar seems pretty good, it's closed, price is about right, a winner indeed. Too bad I haven't heard it.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #11,216 of 18,765
I had a listen to the Ether C in the Schiit Show in Socal a couple of months ago. Somethings are fantastic about it, but I don't know... I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but there were some times when the treble felt out of control or wonky. Not in the sense that the treble got too loud or too overbearing, but it was as if the treble would get "blurted" out and lose control in some parts of the music. 

I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison of that with the TH-900, so I can't say which is overall better, but that aspect of the treble "blurting" out on the Ether C certainly concerned me. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #11,217 of 18,765
  I had a listen to the Ether C in the Schiit Show in Socal a couple of months ago. Somethings are fantastic about it, but I don't know... I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but there were some times when the treble felt out of control or wonky. Not in the sense that the treble got too loud or too overbearing, but it was as if the treble would get "blurted" out and lose control in some parts of the music. 

I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison of that with the TH-900, so I can't say which is overall better, but that aspect of the treble "blurting" out on the Ether C certainly concerned me. 

What about soundstage vs TH900?

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #11,218 of 18,765
As I mentioned before, I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison of the TH-900 with the Ether C, so I can't say. Soundstage seemed alright with the Ether C, but I don't remember it being a prominent feature - keyword "remember". It's possible it has a good sound-stage, and it was something that I just didn't bother to take note of. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #11,219 of 18,765
I'm tempted to buy the Ether C ever since I saw the announcement thread to try it out. My heart says yes but my wallet says no!

I really need to start saving money and stop spending on audio :p

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #11,220 of 18,765
Hopefully I'll get a chance to try my modded TH900 side-by-side with an Ether-C soon. I'll report back if and when I do! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back