Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 30, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #11,191 of 18,765
  According to some people I know , anyone who spends in the range of $1K on HP's has no value for money & is crazy. 
wink_face.gif

They may be onto something.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #11,193 of 18,765
Audio equipment isn't consumable... perishable. Just my thoughts. Same for my tech related hardware 'investments'. I see the value in purchasing hardware rather than going on vacation or wasting (imo) money on a concert, movie theatre ticket + snacks, alcohol, drugs, etc.

I do find it hard to want to spend, at least from my perspective, ludicrous amounts of cash on a single piece for the chain. Even if you use it daily. My income is rather limited; if it wasn't, I'd be all for 'wasting' it on anything without thought or justification. Lol. I can appreciate both sides of the scale's input and approach towards such matters.

I feel the same way, heh. I have friends and family that would look at me like I am insane if they truly knew how much some of my gear costed. But they are the same kind of people who go out and blow similar amounts of cash on the things that you mentioned.

Basically money you will spend to give you one night of enjoyment where as a solid pair of headphones or other hardware can bring you years and years of enjoyment.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #11,195 of 18,765
I feel the same way, heh. I have friends and family that would look at me like I am insane if they truly knew how much some of my gear costed. But they are the same kind of people who go out and blow similar amounts of cash on the things that you mentioned.

Basically money you will spend to give you one night of enjoyment where as a solid pair of headphones or other hardware can bring you years and years of enjoyment.

It's a good type of insanity.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #11,196 of 18,765
$1k is nothing compare to speakers :frowning2: My suggestion, don't start going into speaker path, flagship can cost nearly $20k to $200k. ouch. 

Just be happy with what you have :)

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #11,197 of 18,765
  $1k is nothing compare to speakers :frowning2: My suggestion, don't start going into speaker path, flagship can cost nearly $20k to $200k. ouch. 

Just be happy with what you have :)

Agreed.  A pair of vintage Cerwin Vegas bought at a garage sale for $40 sounds amazing enough driven by vintage Pioneer Spec rack system. 

Can't wrap my mind around a $20K speaker.  Let alone $200K.  Must be impressive! 

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #11,198 of 18,765

Agreed.  A pair of vintage Cerwin Vegas bought at a garage sale for $40 sounds amazing enough driven by vintage Pioneer Spec rack system. 

Can't wrap my mind around a $20K speaker.  Let alone $200K.  Must be impressive! 

Diminishing returns at play quickly at those prices and the room itself would need to be pretty damn good to make that kind of investment worth it! Mind you, I'm sure anybody who can afford those bills has a good room anyway.

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #11,199 of 18,765
This is life. You can buy a yaris to a bently. Both move you around, but i know which id prefer to take the road on. Same with sound.
Granted i do have three amps (two portable, 1 desktop) but only 1 hp and 1 iem both custom modified. No need for anything else at the moment. Peace

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #11,200 of 18,765
Agree with everyone.

One of the best things about headphones, is that you can sell them for what you paid, if you do research and find good deals. Therefore, the money isn't going away, it just gets recycled to buy new stuff and try different gear.

This has allowed me to try all the headphones I've wanted to try, and only keep my favorites.

With other hobbies, it isn't so easy to get back what you paid, and you end up losing each time you make a purchase.

Or, of course, on things like vacations, and expensive meals - where the money just goes away forever.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #11,201 of 18,765
For sure. I think in this hobby we are getting the cell phone mentality - after one year the technology is old. New quality headphones will sound mostly the same with the only real differences being the target sound signature. So a 4 year old TH 900 can sound equally as good as a HE 1000 if you like the sound signature. Not to mention the price points required now to enter flagship territory is just off the charts LCD-4 at 4K, HE1000 at 3K.

I'm all for getting that last level of refinement, but those prices are starting to get beyond silly. At that point get decent speakers!

i know this is the high-end forum and all but i agree that the price of head-fi is well and truly past the point of diminishing returns

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #11,202 of 18,765
Audio equipment isn't consumable... perishable. Just my thoughts. Same for my tech related hardware 'investments'. I see the value in purchasing hardware rather than going on vacation or wasting (imo) money on a concert, movie theatre ticket + snacks, alcohol, drugs, etc.

there's something to be said for experiencing what life has to offer

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #11,204 of 18,765

My apologies if this post contains a lot of excess information about myself to the extent of being TMI. I like to elaborate on my views as an individual, with a very specific background, especially with my lack of anything better to do. I enjoy being part of the head-fi community a lot.

As long as you don't degenerate into a gold Apple Watch owner, you're good.

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #11,205 of 18,765
I don't think anyone would disagree. I can only go by what I can actively take part in that's within my own means physically, mentally and financially. To elaborate:
Chronic illness blows man. It can be extremely limiting in almost all aspects of life. Don't let me start ranting about it. Oops, too late. Lol. I've missed out on 10 years of life experience [age 14 to 24] that most people can take for granted. Headphones are a gateway to music which is one of my favorite past times that reduces my depressionstress and anxiety. Headphones also allow me to hear my friends while playing games online that I otherwise could not. A high end computer allows me to play any/all games I could ever want to with those friends or by my lonesome when I just want a different kind of escape. Games suck in general after you have what others would consider endless amounts of free time. Free time all by yourself... secluded from friends, family, society, etc. I only have active monitors for the days I simply cannot even endure having something atop my head. If I could save up to buy something that would reduce isolation or grant more opportunities to connect and network, I would. No such thing exists that I know of. I'm already taking advantage of a computer and the internet; without them... omg how did anyone live like this without the internet. I have the benefit of a sibling who also lives at home; we get along quite well. Unfortunately they're also a sufferer of chronic illness and limited by similar restrictions imposed on myself. We watch a lot of tv shows and movies as a result of simply too much free time and not enough stuff to fill it with. A lot of folk will tell you that money can't buy happiness, but with no money you can't buy anything. I'm not on disability and live at home still. My parents are generous enough to give me $80 a month. $80/mo. x 12 months = $960/yr. Everything I've bought over the last year involved spending what I had been saving from my graduation funds [I received a GED] from 2009. Everything else comes at the expense of selling things I already own to pay for the new things. I've run out of things to sell... almost. Staring at a checking account balance that doesn't have even double digits for months on end sucks. I'm glad that my parents are able to afford my medical bills and that I'm still on their insurance plan even at my age.  If not, our family would likely be bankrupt and/or homeless. There are others worse off than I am, so I can appreciate what I have. I'm also thankful to the insurance companies (/sarcasm) for covering close to nothing on next to none of my treatments.

I'm 24 years sober. I've held one job for an entire two weeks. I received a GED and have completed one semester of higher education. I don't have a single friend in the state where I reside; only a few acquaintances whom I've met online. I have next to no opportunities to meet new people outside of school which I can't/don't currently attend or the workplace which I haven't been able to find an employer willing to work around my limitations. I have no desire to do anything by myself like attending a concert that costs money and is mentally/physically draining for someone like myself.
I look forward to what the future holds for me despite my past and present. Some day I expect things to fall back in line with what my life was like before chronic illness manifested and devoured it in its entirety.

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I'm glad that audio and gaming have helped you so much. This is a side to these hobbies that a lot of people don't see, and I wish they do. It's great to have you as a part of this community, and I hope that all is well for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back