Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4,576 of 18,762
Thanks Gandah for the research of information !

I never listen music with a high volume (20% of the potentiometer with a D600 and 40% with a LCD2/3). I only heard noise at 90% of the volume (without music) with a D600.

I will get my TH900 in 6 month and I haven't a budget for a new amp (just bought an Auralic Ark MX+ dac). I will keep an eye on this thread!

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4,577 of 18,762
Quote:
I recently purchased an Eximus DP1 to pair with my TH900's.  As this is my first step towards a high-end system it is difficult for me to speak with authority, but I will do my best.   I would say that the pairing is truly fantastic as the DP1's more forward mid presentation addresses the slightly recessed mids of the TH900s.  I have found myself staying up till 3am most nights as I cannot stop listening to my music collection.  The DP1 compliments the soundstage of the TH900's by giving each instrument its own space and the imaging is really well defined.  In Daft Punk's - Giorgio by Moroder (88kHz/24bit) the bass is soul shatteringly good.  The TH900's just seem to laugh at every bass test track I put them against and this song shows how they can deliver serious bass and not lose clarity in complex passages of music; things are nice and tight.  I have also found that the highs are very well controlled with the DP1, which has meant that some tracks that I have previously found a bit harsh are now smooth all the way to the top and sibilant tracks are tamed.  When it comes to details I would say this: I have a particular favorite album that I have listened to countless times over the last 14 years but through this setup I am hearing things that I have never heard before and the music has a much greater depth that for me it was like I was listening to it for the first time.

To sum up I would say this is a really solid paring that counteracts the slightly recessed mids of the TH900's and results in a spacious, euphonic sound with tight bass that will rattle your ancestors.

(MBP >> DP1 >> TH900)

Thanks for the impressions! The DP1 is on my short list to atleast try out. I've heard it pairs nicely with some lower impedance headphones, which is rare. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,578 of 18,762
Someone try the TH900 with the Mjolnir ?

I listened to this setup for a few months. The Mjolnir will play any noise on your power lines so you may hear hiss at zero volume. If there is any hiss it makes the treble really harsh. Baring that its pretty nice. I still went and bought a ZDSE which is great with it.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4,579 of 18,762
Thanks m2man,

I plan to work this summer on a diy amp "the wire" (who have excellent measurment) in balanced and single ended set up.

ZDSE is an amazing amp but I need an extra budget :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #4,580 of 18,762
Quote:
Thanks m2man,

I plan to work this summer on a diy amp "the wire" (who have excellent measurment) in balanced and single ended set up.

ZDSE is an amazing amp but I need an extra budget
smily_headphones1.gif

What amp are you planning on building?  The Wire???

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,581 of 18,762
Enjoy : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/179298-wire-ultra-high-performance-headphone-amplifier-pcbs.html

:wink:

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,582 of 18,762
Quote:
I recently purchased an Eximus DP1 to pair with my TH900's.  As this is my first step towards a high-end system it is difficult for me to speak with authority, but I will do my best.   I would say that the pairing is truly fantastic as the DP1's more forward mid presentation addresses the slightly recessed mids of the TH900s.  I have found myself staying up till 3am most nights as I cannot stop listening to my music collection.  The DP1 compliments the soundstage of the TH900's by giving each instrument its own space and the imaging is really well defined.  In Daft Punk's - Giorgio by Moroder (88kHz/24bit) the bass is soul shatteringly good.  The TH900's just seem to laugh at every bass test track I put them against and this song shows how they can deliver serious bass and not lose clarity in complex passages of music; things are nice and tight.  I have also found that the highs are very well controlled with the DP1, which has meant that some tracks that I have previously found a bit harsh are now smooth all the way to the top and sibilant tracks are tamed.  When it comes to details I would say this: I have a particular favorite album that I have listened to countless times over the last 14 years but through this setup I am hearing things that I have never heard before and the music has a much greater depth that for me it was like I was listening to it for the first time.

To sum up I would say this is a really solid paring that counteracts the slightly recessed mids of the TH900's and results in a spacious, euphonic sound with tight bass that will rattle your ancestors.

(MBP >> DP1 >> TH900)

I own the Eximus DP1 and have the TH900's on route.
Is good to know that they are a good pair.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,586 of 18,762
Quote:
ops sorry songmic autospell on phone I ment the Zana Deux vs do1

Comparing headphone amp only, the ZDSE is miles ahead of the DP1 in sonic performance for the TH900. But the DP1 has what the ZDSE does not: a DAC. And the DAC portion of the DP1 is mighty good. Still, if you have a decent dedicated DAC, my choice would be the ZDSE over the DP1. Or if you are rolling in cash, you could use a DP1 as your DAC and ZDSE for your headphone amp.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #4,587 of 18,762
I have both. The Eximus is a cat turd compared to the Zana Deux. They are at such totally different levels. I don't get why anyone likes the HP amp on the Eximus to be honest... Sorry to be a hater but I don't like the Eximus even with the easy to drive Th-900. The DAC is nice. The Zana Deux crushes the amp though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #4,589 of 18,762
I lived with the Eximus/ZDSE/HD 800 combo for nearly a year. I also owned the TH 900s for a short time as well with these units. The TH 900 definitely works well enough out of the DP-1 itself-no complaints. But the ZDSE truly takes it to another level, and has almost perfect synergy imo, just like it does with the HD 800.

-Daniel

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,590 of 18,762
I'm not certain if Zana Deux owners agree with me but I think the synergy with the TH-900 is particular to the ZDSE rather than just any Zana Deux in general. I have the older ZD with a fixed 12 ohm output and as mentioned by some of the Tokyo HF members at a meet 3 weeks ago, the bass was somewhat loose. In my case I need to mod my ZD to match the ZDSE's 3 ohm to tighten up the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back