Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4,456 of 18,776
Thanks!  
Need a better camera,pic does not do this can justice, as you all probably know
I am putting it to the test, so far so good, even with mp3's , which was a concern of mine since I still get those sometimes. I guess I am not a true audiophile , per definition,but I do love music

To Music!!
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #4,460 of 18,776
I am proud owner of the th900. I am planning a bedside rig and would be thankful for any recommendations.

I would like a amp/dac with small footprint and either with optical in or iDevice ready on the dac. I would like it to be in the sweet spot of price/performance. Sound wise I would like it to punchy and a bit warm.

When I listen to th900 with NAD m51 and Woo Audio WA22 I think it sounds too polite. The bass is well defined, but it lacks some punch. It is quite embarrassing but straight out of my iPhone the th900 sound more fun with warmer and more emphasis on the bass. But I think the iPhone lacks in soundstage and the bass is bloomy. With my main rig I prefer HD800, but th900 sounds better than LCD-2 to me - LCD-2 rev.1 are a bit too dark for me and I like deep punchy bass better than mid-bas emphasis. I hope you can follow my thoughts.

Woo Audio WA7 seems to be the perfect amp/dac for me. But I am a bit worried that it will sound like the WA22 - to polite and not as "fun" as I would it to be.

May 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4,462 of 18,776
An obvious choice would be the Fostex HP-P1 I'd say... I'm interested in that combination myself (though still lacking both parts), has someone tested that combination yet?

Yes, that would be a perfect pairing - small size and easy to set up with an iPhone or iPad. But I have read that HP-P1 does not provide sufficient quantity of bass and from what I have heard it is quite neutral. And I would like something slightly colored...

Alo Audio Pan Am is another contender which I have read some positive opinions of. I am a newbie in using iPhone and iPad as a source, so I am pondering how I connect my iDevice, to a normal USB-connector, and still bypass idevice's dac? I guess the same problem involves WA7.

May 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,463 of 18,776
I am proud owner of the th900. I am planning a bedside rig and would be thankful for any recommendations.

I would like a amp/dac with small footprint and either with optical in or iDevice ready on the dac. I would like it to be in the sweet spot of price/performance. Sound wise I would like it to punchy and a bit warm.

When I listen to th900 with NAD m51 and Woo Audio WA22 I think it sounds too polite. The bass is well defined, but it lacks some punch. It is quite embarrassing but straight out of my iPhone the th900 sound more fun with warmer and more emphasis on the bass. But I think the iPhone lacks in soundstage and the bass is bloomy. With my main rig I prefer HD800, but th900 sounds better than LCD-2 to me - LCD-2 rev.1 are a bit too dark for me and I like deep punchy bass better than mid-bas emphasis. I hope you can follow my thoughts.

Woo Audio WA7 seems to be the perfect amp/dac for me. But I am a bit worried that it will sound like the WA22 - to polite and not as "fun" as I would it to be.

Dude, TH-900+WA7 as a bedside rig!? Hope you have a heart-shaped waterbed to go with it cos its perfect (with a partner, of course)!!

But durability of the TH-900 for such use could be an issue. I wouldn't dream of lying down with my TH-900. It's fragile enough that and recommended for upright use only. At least in my experience.

May 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,464 of 18,776
Anyone already found matched portable amp for this headphone?
My fostex TH 900 will be arrive next week and the portable amp i have are international,glacier,c5,arrow 4g
do you think one of them can match th 900? or i need a new one?
thank you for any help

May 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,465 of 18,776
Dude, TH-900+WA7 as a bedside rig!? Hope you have a heart-shaped waterbed to go with it cos its perfect (with a partner, of course)!!

But durability of the TH-900 for such use could be an issue. I wouldn't dream of lying down with my TH-900. It's fragile enough that and recommended for upright use only. At least in my experience.

:) You are totally right, th900 are really delicate and I wouldn't lay down to soon realize that I fell asleep and got myself ruined phones...

My main rig is downstairs in the basement and I got some twins, 2 years old, who still wake up regularly in the evenings. Then it is quite convinient to have a secondary rig by the bedside for some serious listening.

May 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,466 of 18,776
Quote:
An obvious choice would be the Fostex HP-P1 I'd say... I'm interested in that combination myself (though still lacking both parts), has someone tested that combination yet?

Might be a obvious choice, but not a very good choice. The Fostex HP-P1 amp section leaves much to be desired. It lacks definition and body. The DAC section of the device is very good and I even preferred it to the ALO CLAS. Also, the OI of the HP-P1 is 10ohms. which is a mix match for the TH-900.

I would suggest looking the Yulong D100 MK II. Although you would need some kind of compatible iDevice DAC to couple to, so that might be an issue. I use the Pure i20 Dock for a bedside transport.  Works great and is rather inexpensive. There is also, VentureCraft Go-Dap, DD Socket 1, V-Moda Vamp, and CLAS+(Amp of Choice). Not too many compatible iDevice Dacs. It would be best to find some kind of digital dock transport. If you did that, you could get the WA7 if you wish. AnakChan, was very happy with the combo with the TH-600, so I'd assume it would be equally as good with the TH-900.

May 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,467 of 18,776
I use my TH 900 as a bedside rig i lay down with them on everynight i just position the pillow right side up so it doesnt put too much pressure on tge headphones but rather on my head. IMO you can lay down with any headphone you just have to be a little careful.

May 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4,469 of 18,776
I use TH900 with a HP-P1 and I love it. I don't feel it lacks bass at all. The bass is more punchy and defined than straight out of my iPhone. But it should be said that I haven't tried my Fostex on a really expensive amp/dac, so I might be missing out the full potensial. And since I'm really happy with this combo, my wallet would be happy if I never heard anything better. :wink:

May 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #4,470 of 18,776
I bought these again today after returning my original pair a while ago after a lot of deliberation. Sadly, they seem to be immediately reminding me why I returned them the 1st time- fairly harsh treble lacking the refinement of the HD800 and sucked out lower mids giving it a weightless character and less (!) impact than both the HD800, and the HE500 I opted for instead of it the first time. I'm hoping burn in changes their character somewhat (although I don't believe in any significant burn-in changes) and gives them more body and warmth. I'm running them off the Matrix M-Stage which sounds good with both the HD800s and the HE-500s; both harder headphones to drive than the TH900s. I don't expect them to match the HD800s but at least be more enjoyable overall than the HE-500s, which are giving me that satisfying, tactile bass if not the full extension of the TH900s. When I had the Fostex last, I preferred the HD800s in a 6:4 ratio in overall music listening (for the HD800 vs the HE-500s its a 6.5 : 3.5 ratio) and at the moment its like 9:1 (if that) in favour of the HD800s
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back