Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #18,107 of 18,765
Actually, I was the first one to msg him. But, unfortunately, he sold to his cousin. It's ok though. Family first! hahaha
Check PM :wink:

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #18,111 of 18,765
What are everyone's favourite ear pads for the TH900?

ZMF Ori Lambskin are top spot for me so far.
Here are my comparisons, using TH-610 pads as reference:
Dekoni hybrid - bass is not as perfect, doesn't hit as hard and as deep.
Dekoni Fenestrated - better than hybrid, but still not as good as 610
Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin - very similar to 610, better than 900 originals. Bass rumble is slightly worse than 610. Other than bass, possibly sounds better.
HD9999 thick pads - bass is as great as 610, sounds a bit darker and less clarity in the mids
TH900 original pads - bass rumble isn't good, doesn't sound as coherent as 610, slightly airier presentation with more recessed mids

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #18,114 of 18,765
Just got my sapphire blue th900s in, here are my initial impressions compared to the reds!

(In case you didn’t know, the blue’s have “anniversary tuning”. It is the same tuning that is applied to the pearl whites. These are also impressions after only a few hours listening.)

Right out of the gate I will say they have better detail retrieval, and more accurate imaging. This could very well be due to having less mid bass, but there is definitely more to it than that. I believe the highs seem to be tuned differently- the headphones sound brighter as a whole, but the highs are boosted on a lower frequency than the th900s. Not sibilant, very sparkly.

Another strong change is in the decay of notes - things seem to resonate in a way that is tighter, and sound more natural to my ears. Bass extends lower than the reds, and isn’t lacking at all (although the reds are the exact opposite of “lacking”). Drums sound natural and crisp.

Same magical, vibrant sound that you get from a th900, just a slightly different flavor. I currently prefer them for bass light edm as well as orchestral music.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #18,115 of 18,765
What are everyone's favourite ear pads for the TH900?

ZMF Ori Lambskin are top spot for me so far.

When I had my TH900, my favorite pads were the Dekoni Elite Hybrids. I also bought their bass attenuator rings which you put inside the pads. Loved the combo and I never went back to any other pad. Super comfortable too

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #18,118 of 18,765
I actually have a pair of the brainwaves I’m using on my sig djs - I’ll move em over and let you know what I think! (Kinda doubtful they will sound that great though)

Also, anyone have specific headband pad recommendations? I’ve been doing a bunch of research and I’m not getting many good options. The zmf pilot pad has a lot of people saying it’s too big and causes issues with the fit, beyer pads are good but ruin the original headband bc they are a bit too small, and adhesive pads all have the potential of damaging the headband as well (plus I haven’t seen many reviews on how any SPECIFIC ones fare for comfort)

I don’t really have issues with current headband comfort, but it would be nice to have a bit of padding there

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #18,119 of 18,765
I actually have a pair of the brainwaves I’m using on my sig djs - I’ll move em over and let you know what I think! (Kinda doubtful they will sound that great though)

Also, anyone have specific headband pad recommendations? I’ve been doing a bunch of research and I’m not getting many good options. The zmf pilot pad has a lot of people saying it’s too big and causes issues with the fit, beyer pads are good but ruin the original headband bc they are a bit too small, and adhesive pads all have the potential of damaging the headband as well (plus I haven’t seen many reviews on how any SPECIFIC ones fare for comfort)

I don’t really have issues with current headband comfort, but it would be nice to have a bit of padding there
I didn't do it yet but I bought a Sennheiser HD 600 headpad and was gonna double-face tape it to my TR-X00 headband from underneath. I wouldn't do it on my TH900s though. Some kind of mod based on the Sennheiser pad would probably be good, only I don't want to do anything non-reversible.

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #18,120 of 18,765

Thanks! I brought those pads up since Z Reviews mentions them positively in his L900 review:

For padding, you could use Dekoni Nuggets and stick them on something else first so the adhesive is not as strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back