Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #18,078 of 18,765
Anyone ever get to compare the pearl whites to the reds first hand?

I’ve got the old th900s (non replaceable cable) and after the cable broke I decided it might be a good idea to invest in some mk2’s.

And frankly, I think the white is sexy. But, I’m also a basshead - and from what I’ve heard in the forums they seem to have less bass than the reds.. but on the two reviews online where they compared the two head to head, they both said the whites had slightly more bass. (Which would be a HUGE plus)

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/fostex-th900mk2-pearl-white-review

https://www.headphonedungeon.com/fostex-th900mk2-pearl-white-review/

Any first-hand opinions would be awesome here, as if the pearl whites have noticeably less bass then it would be a deal breaker for me.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #18,079 of 18,765
Anyone ever get to compare the pearl whites to the reds first hand?

I’ve got the old th900s (non replaceable cable) and after the cable broke I decided it might be a good idea to invest in some mk2’s.

And frankly, I think the white is sexy. But, I’m also a basshead - and from what I’ve heard in the forums they seem to have less bass than the reds.. but on the two reviews online where they compared the two head to head, they both said the whites had slightly more bass. (Which would be a HUGE plus)

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/fostex-th900mk2-pearl-white-review

https://www.headphonedungeon.com/fostex-th900mk2-pearl-white-review/

Any first-hand opinions would be awesome here, as if the pearl whites have noticeably less bass then it would be a deal breaker for me.
Replace the cable.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #18,080 of 18,765
Replace the cable.
Already getting it done - unfortunately, going to take a couple of months. Plus I have some doubts on how much longer it will be before something else on them breaks - already had to replace both hinges. I would sell the old pair after properly refurbishing them, of course.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #18,081 of 18,765
And another question- any ear pad recommendations that might increase the bass or mids on the th900s without sacrificing sq? I was looking at the dekoni elite hybrids, currently

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #18,082 of 18,765
Already getting it done - unfortunately, going to take a couple of months. Plus I have some doubts on how much longer it will be before something else on them breaks - already had to replace both hinges. I would sell the old pair after properly refurbishing them, of course.
I have used mine on the go in trains , buses , taxi and ferry. I throw it in my back pack no case never had an issue. I have 6 pairs and I bought 12 th900s.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #18,084 of 18,765
And another question- any ear pad recommendations that might increase the bass or mids on the th900s without sacrificing sq? I was looking at the dekoni elite hybrids, currently
I think the Dekoni TH-X00 pads with the attenuation ring makes my mk1 the bass Cannon of bass cannons. Hybrid if you want the V-shape sound signature, and sheepskin if you want to really bring up the midrange.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #18,085 of 18,765
Here are my comparisons, using TH-610 pads as reference:
Dekoni hybrid - bass is not as perfect, doesn't hit as hard and as deep.
Dekoni Fenestrated - better than hybrid, but still not as good as 610
Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin - very similar to 610, better than 900 originals. Bass rumble is slightly worse than 610. Other than bass, possibly sounds better.
HD9999 thick pads - bass is as great as 610, sounds a bit darker and less clarity in the mids
TH900 original pads - bass rumble isn't good, doesn't sound as coherent as 610, slightly airier presentation with more recessed mids

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #18,087 of 18,765
I think the Dekoni TH-X00 pads with the attenuation ring makes my mk1 the bass Cannon of bass cannons. Hybrid if you want the V-shape sound signature, and sheepskin if you want to really bring up the midrange.
As I just did some pad rolling, I can say that the Dekoni TH-X00 hybrid with the attenuation ring improves on but retains the sound signature of the stock pads, whereas the sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring is a more extreme version of the TH610 pads.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #18,088 of 18,765
This sounds perfect on the TH900

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #18,090 of 18,765
Paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back