Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #18,091 of 18,765
Has anyone tried the TH909 pad on the TH900? In my agonizing over pad rolling, I keep returning to it until it annoys me (or my paranoia about wearing out the pad kicks in). I find it a nice balance between TH900 and TH610 pads. It's definitely not as V-shaped as the TH900, but mids aren't quite as prominent as the TH610. The bass might not extend as down as the TH900, but the overall bass response improved to my ear. A good "goldilocks" pair if you're after the stock TH900 sound.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #18,093 of 18,765
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #18,094 of 18,765
Does anyone know how the tuning was altered on the limited white and blue versions of the TH900? More specifically, are these mods that can be removed to revert to the red/ green sound?
I just got my white set today. Looks like the white version has a foam disk covering one of the holes in the back of the driver. Stock pads are also different and the batting on the white edition seems thicker.

I'm not gonna try and remove the disk but I can't imagine it's very hard.

Attachments

• 20220105_170316.jpg
    20220105_170316.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220105_165442.jpg
    20220105_165442.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #18,095 of 18,765
Does anyone know how the tuning was altered on the limited white and blue versions of the TH900? More specifically, are these mods that can be removed to revert to the red/ green sound?
I don't have first hand experience, but from what I've researched I'm fairly certain they have more refined (less, tighter) bass and slightly less piercing treble. I think it's related to the dampening they do - so you would have to modify the dampening of the th900 in order to mess with what they did, but I really doubt there's a solid way to "revert" it.

One possible option to get you close would be getting custom lawton audio wood chambers - could go with one of the type 4's. I've heard the purple heart chambers in particular boost the bass quite a bit.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #18,096 of 18,765
Lawton mods can be viewed in 4 parts. The cable, the cups, the pads , the dampening. i did get the upgrade in stages but couldn’t seperate cups from dampening, but I found cups were more responsible for widening the stage some. They are larger. The dampening took a little bass flab out and settled the highs some. The characteristics are still there, but th900 is in its original form, is the essence of what fostex intended, warts and all. I found replacing cups diy quite problematic but then again I’m not a diy guy. Can’t comment on wood types, I just got what I aesthetically enjoyed.
point being the only difference I can see with different Color’s and sq, is if dampening was adjusted.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #18,097 of 18,765
Hi all - I picked up a TH-900 from a fellow Head-Fier, it's on the way and is also a Mk I, so my understanding is that it has a non-replaceable single-ended cable.

My rig is really geared more towards balanced connections, but I do have a single-ended option here, which is the headphone out of my RME ADI-2 DAC.

Do any of you all have experience running the TH-900 from the RME ADI-2? Is that sufficient or does it need more juice?

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #18,098 of 18,765
Hi all - I picked up a TH-900 from a fellow Head-Fier, it's on the way and is also a Mk I, so my understanding is that it has a non-replaceable single-ended cable.

My rig is really geared more towards balanced connections, but I do have a single-ended option here, which is the headphone out of my RME ADI-2 DAC.

Do any of you all have experience running the TH-900 from the RME ADI-2? Is that sufficient or does it need more juice?
I haven't used that setup, but the TH900 are trivially easy to drive. My OTL Valhalla powers them just as well as they power my HD800S, and they should be a terrible match on paper. The advantages of balanced are not really required here.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #18,099 of 18,765
I haven't used that setup, but the TH900 are trivially easy to drive. My OTL Valhalla powers them just as well as they power my HD800S, and they should be a terrible match on paper. The advantages of balanced are not really required here.
Oh are they easy to drive? That's good news!

I think because I've been discussing the Hifiman HE-6se so much recently, I am in the state of mind that a higher-end bass cannon requires stupid amounts of power, that is actually great news that I won't have to do something silly like speaker tap to get optimal performance out of the TH900.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #18,100 of 18,765

One can cut connection and install a 4 4. Or you can change cable but you need some DIY skills.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #18,102 of 18,765

Yes. Killer!

The RME can't make 300 ohm Sennheisers sing but it's killer with the TH900s and LCD-2C.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #18,103 of 18,765
Has anyone played around with ZMF Ori pads on the TH900? I just put a set of lambskin pads on my TH900, and so far great results - at least, the least annoying pads for me. Still deliciously V-shaped, big and quick bass, lessened sibilance, appreciably increased soundstaging, while still remaining bright and clear overall.

The suede pads I tried were far too hard with a reduced bass, and the perforated lambskin pads were smooth but really lightened the bass. I loved Dekoni THX00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring, but the smaller image and midrange honk eventually wore me out. Hybrid THX00 + attenuation ring also had a certain charm, but I felt the bass was too loose and the treble was too gritty.

Does anyone have experience with Hybrid or Cowhide ZMF Ori pads? Those are next on my list to track down.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #18,105 of 18,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back