Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #18,121 of 18,765
I actually have a pair of the brainwaves I’m using on my sig djs - I’ll move em over and let you know what I think! (Kinda doubtful they will sound that great though)

Also, anyone have specific headband pad recommendations? I’ve been doing a bunch of research and I’m not getting many good options. The zmf pilot pad has a lot of people saying it’s too big and causes issues with the fit, beyer pads are good but ruin the original headband bc they are a bit too small, and adhesive pads all have the potential of damaging the headband as well (plus I haven’t seen many reviews on how any SPECIFIC ones fare for comfort)

I don’t really have issues with current headband comfort, but it would be nice to have a bit of padding there
I got the co pilot pad, which is even smaller but ended up taking it off since it still messed up the fit. Thought about maybe giving dekoni nuggets a try but I don't think those come off after.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #18,122 of 18,765
The brainwaves are a bit better than I thought they would be, and not bad compared to stock pads. They definitely give an airier presentation, but the mid bass + some of the mids get pretty sucked out giving a bit of a "tinny" sound. Bass impact is reduced, but the sub bass does seem to reverberate more, and has a thundering effect. Highs seem to be increased slightly. Soundstage width is increased a fair bit, but the imaging accuracy takes a small hit. Comfort is alright, a bit too much pressure on the sides of my head considering the size of the pads though. With an eq for the mids they are pretty good - but I definitely prefer the th610 pads with the attenuator rings as a whole (More closed, but more natural sound, better mids, tamed highs,, more impactful bass).

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #18,124 of 18,765
I never liked the TH900. Too warm and bass heavy and due to this, lacked some detail, even after installing the excellent gold/silver Whiplash cable. The other day, as I don't normally get rid of things, I put on the stock pads that are used on the SR2 iBasso phones. They have tiny holes in the pads, not large like the Focal Utopia and the sound is superb! Very open, in fact they sound like an open headphone. The bass is right now, the highs are clean and detailed but not etched and the sound field is expansive. Really very surprising and they are better than the Focal Stellia. This is both for Rock or Classical. Sweet with violin but great bass for rock and excellent dynamics. Very surprised! This is the original version of the TH900.

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #18,125 of 18,765
I never liked the TH900. Too warm and bass heavy and due to this, lacked some detail, even after installing the excellent gold/silver Whiplash cable. The other day, as I don't normally get rid of things, I put on the stock pads that are used on the SR2 iBasso phones. They have tiny holes in the pads, not large like the Focal Utopia and the sound is superb! Very open, in fact they sound like an open headphone. The bass is right now, the highs are clean and detailed but not etched and the sound field is expansive. Really very surprising and they are better than the Focal Stellia. This is both for Rock or Classical. Sweet with violin but great bass for rock and excellent dynamics. Very surprised! This is the original version of the TH900.
These might give you the same sound.

Dekoni Audio Fenestrated​

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #18,126 of 18,765
These might give you the same sound.

Dekoni Audio Fenestrated​

Maybe but most fenestrated have the larger holes and these angled pads are most likely much less money but still good quality and the sound is excellent now.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #18,127 of 18,765
not sure what you mean by 'too warm' but i can understand someone finding the th900's prodigious bass too much. i've never found the th900 wanting for detail retrieval and its presentation has always been remarkably clean, dynamic and spacious to my ears.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #18,128 of 18,765
Does anyone know the name/ part number of the metal ring which mounts the driver assembly?

64BBD0A3-31E5-484D-960A-4A918BF01D13.jpeg

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #18,129 of 18,765
Hey guys, just wanted to say I saw on this thread a while ago a guy who used cardstock to make the attenuator rings but in a c shape, and claimed it was a better experience overall than just the dekoni attenuation rings.. Decided to try it out, and I am pleasantly surprised. My only complaint with the th610 pads + attenuation rings was that it made things feel slightly more closed and dark, and I felt somewhere in the 11k range or so something was missing that I couldn't put my finger on.

With the C shaped rings made from cardstock that's exactly what changed. I still have the better mids + bass from the regular attenuation rings, but as a whole a more natural and open sound, just perfect to my ears. Increased the soundstage and improved instrument separation - I'm no expert in describing audio, and it could be personal preference, but for those using the dekoni rings I'd definitely consider giving the card stock rings a try.

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #18,133 of 18,765
Can't be understated how important synergy is.

For the longest time my TH900 has been wasting away sitting in my drawer (they had their bestest moments back when I was rocking a Woo Audio WA7 but unfortunately sold years & years ago). They just never sounded right on my main desktop setup at the moment where I am usually rocking the Utopia's or HD800... just overly bright and fatiguing in all aspects. So I had them just stored away until the day I got a got a better/different setup for them that synergizes well with them again. It's just insane the difference you get on these headphones on different setups. Can range from unusable to right up there with the best of the best, unrivaled by anything else.

I recently got a Samsung S6 Lite tablet on sale and use it lots mainly at my bedside during the evening and when lounging around during the day time as well. I had an old Sony UDA-1 DAC/amp sitting around collecting dust & doing nothing so I figured I would combine it with the tablet and put it to use as a nice little comfy bedside setup. Cycled through all my headphones with the Sony UDA-1 and 1000% the TH900 was the best sounding in that setup of them all... like not even close. With that setup the HD800 & Utopia sounded like crap where on my desktop setup they are completely different beasts and sound fantastic. But the TH900 just sounded magical... I can't remember trying the combo in the past and not sure why I wouldn't have... they work amazingly together! It's not like the UDA-1 is a super expensive top of the line source either... but for some reason it sounds so damn good with the TH900, lol. Oodles and oodles of effortless great sounding bass, female vocals just sounding so good, wide soundstage right up there with other open headphones... instrument separation soooo good. They will be getting daily use again after this nice little discovery.

Attachments

• 20220205_175717.jpg
    20220205_175717.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #18,134 of 18,765
Can't be understated how important synergy is.

For the longest time my TH900 has been wasting away sitting in my drawer (they had their bestest moments back when I was rocking a Woo Audio WA7 but unfortunately sold years & years ago). They just never sounded right on my main desktop setup at the moment where I am usually rocking the Utopia's or HD800... just overly bright and fatiguing in all aspects. So I had them just stored away until the day I got a got a better/different setup for them that synergizes well with them again. It's just insane the difference you get on these headphones on different setups. Can range from unusable to right up there with the best of the best, unrivaled by anything else.

I recently got a Samsung S6 Lite tablet on sale and use it lots mainly at my bedside during the evening and when lounging around during the day time as well. I had an old Sony UDA-1 DAC/amp sitting around collecting dust & doing nothing so I figured I would combine it with the tablet and put it to use as a nice little comfy bedside setup. Cycled through all my headphones with the Sony UDA-1 and 1000% the TH900 was the best sounding in that setup of them all... like not even close. With that setup the HD800 & Utopia sounded like crap where on my desktop setup they are completely different beasts and sound fantastic. But the TH900 just sounded magical... I can't remember trying the combo in the past and not sure why I wouldn't have... they work amazingly together! It's not like the UDA-1 is a super expensive top of the line source either... but for some reason it sounds so damn good with the TH900, lol. Oodles and oodles of effortless great sounding bass, female vocals just sounding so good, wide soundstage right up there with other open headphones... instrument separation soooo good. They will be getting daily use again after this nice little discovery.
I agree , the th900 will sound magical or I should say ideal with the right set up.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #18,135 of 18,765
Th900 , amp , Plenue L

Attachments

• 20220212_115018.jpg
    20220212_115018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220212_115001.jpg
    20220212_115001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back