Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #18,137 of 18,765
Hello. I have some questions for people who previously bought official TH900 replacement pads.
I got a new pair (from Thomann) and they're not the same as those that came with the headphones. Not as thick, which is a problem because of my protruding ears. Also they're warped all around. And I can't seem to make the plastic ring fit! It fits perfectly fine on my original pads, but I feel it will break if I try anymore on the new ones.

I wrote to them but I'm not sure I will get a reply before Monday, so I want to ask if official replacement pads are normally less thick and more difficult to work with?

New on the left - Original on the right
pads1.png

Both new pads showing warping
pads2.png

I could try looking into Dekoni pads if all Fostex replacements are this disappointing; I heard they're quite good. In the meantime I'll wait for the shop's answers.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #18,138 of 18,765
Hello. I have some questions for people who previously bought official TH900 replacement pads.
I got a new pair (from Thomann) and they're not the same as those that came with the headphones. Not as thick, which is a problem because of my protruding ears. Also they're warped all around. And I can't seem to make the plastic ring fit! It fits perfectly fine on my original pads, but I feel it will break if I try anymore on the new ones.

I wrote to them but I'm not sure I will get a reply before Monday, so I want to ask if official replacement pads are normally less thick and more difficult to work with?

[ATTAC

pads1.png

pads2.png

I could try looking into Dekoni pads if all Fostex replacements are this disappointing; I heard they're quite good. In the meantime I'll wait for the shop's answers.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #18,139 of 18,765
You can try Full Compass

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #18,141 of 18,765
I know about the site, they have all the replacement parts... sadly I am in Canada and they don't seem to ship here.
You tried moon audio or Lawton Audio ?

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #18,142 of 18,765
I know about the site, they have all the replacement parts... sadly I am in Canada and they don't seem to ship here.
Lawton ships Canada although they are oversized and angled. I like them…

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #18,143 of 18,765
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #18,146 of 18,765
I just wrote to Lawton, their angled pads seem interesting, and I asked about originals too. Thanks for the recommendations!
If you like you can mail it to me , near Boston , then I will mail it to you. You just pay postage.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #18,147 of 18,765
Old great gears

Attachments

• 20220219_130331.jpg
    20220219_130331.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #18,148 of 18,765
I've seen some suggestions in the thread about Tube amp or Hybrid Tube amp pairings with the TH900 (like Darkvoice, Woo7, etc.), but they're mainly from several years ago and I couldn't find any slam dunk combos. I was curious if anyone has experience with a tube or hybrid amp that they love with the TH900. I am looking for something that will tame the treble a little bit and synergize well without breaking the bank. I'm rocking an xDuoo TA-30 hybrid tube amp now that is like magic with my HE6se's and sounds great with the TH900 too, but the output power is so hilariously high that I'm running -20db on the digital preamp as well as 10/100 volume in Roon just to get a reasonable listening volume, so not ideal.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #18,149 of 18,765
I've seen some suggestions in the thread about Tube amp or Hybrid Tube amp pairings with the TH900 (like Darkvoice, Woo7, etc.), but they're mainly from several years ago and I couldn't find any slam dunk combos. I was curious if anyone has experience with a tube or hybrid amp that they love with the TH900. I am looking for something that will tame the treble a little bit and synergize well without breaking the bank. I'm rocking an xDuoo TA-30 hybrid tube amp now that is like magic with my HE6se's and sounds great with the TH900 too, but the output power is so hilariously high that I'm running -20db on the digital preamp as well as 10/100 volume in Roon just to get a reasonable listening volume, so not ideal.
I simply use any Cowon dap or Cowon with Hugo or amp. Cowon has a great EQ which easily tames the treble. Or I use a Cowon with a more analog sounding dac like Burr Brown. I also pair the TH900 with a Cayin N8 dap which has a tube amp/solid state amp/balance amp.

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #18,150 of 18,765
Thanks! A decent DAP is definitely on the radar to replace my bedroom setup (D50s and THX789) which seems just a bit too analytical and sharp with the TH900's. N8 might be out of my price range for a while, but I'll look into something like Cowon's mid-tier offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back