Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 18, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #17,491 of 18,765
And a more general question to everyone — sorry if this was asked before — can one be happy with a non-modded, non-Eq’d version of just plain stock red Th900mk2?

I am hoping some users can clarify - since I am getting some doubts after seeing massive threads and discussions about all the pad rolling, dampening, EQing, self made and Lawton improvements and all other kinds mods available, seems to be quite specific to Fostex.

After reading all these comments on various audio websites, my brain is overwhelmed and I am wondering if the th900mk2 “vanilla” stock form is worth considering, if I don’t want to do any modding etc.?
i suspect that i may be in the silent majority who have owned the original th900 for several years, continue to enjoy it for what it is and have zero interest in modifying it any way

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #17,492 of 18,765
After plenty research and finding out that no headphone is perfect. I’ve pulled the plug on a Demo model of the th900 mkii, like new for 2/3 the price.
Will have forza audio works make a cable that has 4,4mm connection and play it off of my Dethonray honey H1 and Fiio Q5s Type c.
Curious to hear the fostex sound. If I like it (really hope so), I’ll stop spending money on audio for a good bit as I’m moving to the other side of the world for a bit and just want one good IEM and one good headphone along for the ride.

Let’s see how they are!
Thanks everyone for their contributions in this thread. Very helpful.
I’ve found the search for a good pair of over ears to be VERY difficult. Way more difficult than finding my perfect set of IEMS (hyla sarda).

Let’s hear that famous treble spike As well

i've had zero interest in modding the th900 in any way. i suspect thst i may be in the silent majority of th900 owners.
How about other headphones you own , have you modded them ?

May 18, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #17,493 of 18,765
nope - i've never felt a need to modify any of the headphones that i own. that may be because i had the opportunity to audition them before buying. there is something to be said for trying headphones before you buy if you can, particularly if they're high-end.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #17,494 of 18,765
I have a TH909 and a TH900mk2 (pearl white) both were purchased new and I have no intention of ever modding them. I appreciate each one for what they bring as is.

A while ago I purchased a used Denon AH-D5000 that came with a completed Lawton mod, and it sounds really good to me, but if I had my choice I would have picked a different wood for the chambers. So, I bought a new TH610 solely for the purpose of modding because I wanted to experience/do the process myself, and choose my own chambers etc. etc. I did a Lawton Level 2 (driver tune-up, pads and Chambers) to that set and am pleased with it. However, now that I've done it once for myself I no longer feel the urge to do it to any others - I guess I got it out of my system and now can say "Been there, Done that, got the T-shirt".

I do buy cables for my phones so, I guess that is a form of modding... But, that's where I draw the line these days.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #17,496 of 18,765
Can someone compare the TH900 to the LCD-X. Just got the LCD-X and it has hardly any slam and here I am
What amp are you using?

May 25, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #17,498 of 18,765
Universal Audio Apollo mk 2

Have added EQ. Still doesn’t deliver. Don’t laugh but the ATH m50x packs way more of a punch even when EQing the LCD-X. I get it, different construction.. but I’m just a bit let down.
No worries, there have been a lot of headphones that I’ve heard and thought would be better sounding. Only to hear them and be let down by their sound. Most recently the Beyerdynamic T1.3’s. I’m not sure what those headphones are trying to be. Just sell or trade the LCD-X’s to recoup some of your funds and get the TH900’s which are universally praised for packing a punch! The also sound very open for a closed headphone.

May 25, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #17,499 of 18,765
No worries, there have been a lot of headphones that I’ve heard and thought would be better sounding. Only to hear them and be let down by their sound. Most recently the Beyerdynamic T1.3’s. I’m not sure what those headphones are trying to be. Just sell or trade the LCD-X’s to recoup some of your funds and get the TH900’s which are universally praised for packing a punch! The also sound very open for a closed headphone.
I might just do that. How does the TH900 handle layering? Like the beginning riff in Bleak (21 seconds) Does the guitar that strums aside the riff separate well?
Also, is the treble as bad as some people make it out to be? The m50x doesn’t bother me

May 25, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #17,500 of 18,765
I have never tried them stock, but my modified versions (white TH900s) are just about perfect and have become a favorite.

Can drive these from most anything and they sound great.

DF10E636-EC25-4AB1-B5A5-D0C854A0D882.png

What treble spike!?!?

May 25, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #17,501 of 18,765
I might just do that. How does the TH900 handle layering? Like the beginning riff in Bleak (21 seconds) Does the guitar that strums aside the riff separate well?
Also, is the treble as bad as some people make it out to be? The m50x doesn’t bother me

It’s been a minute since I’ve owned them, but from what I can recall they were great with metal. The imaging is really good and they have great energy and bite with that genre. If you’re not bothered by the treble on the ATH-M50x’s then the treble on the TH900’s won’t bother you either.

May 25, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #17,505 of 18,765
Can someone compare the TH900 to the LCD-X. Just got the LCD-X and it has hardly any slam and here I am
Th900 bass will punch the sides of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back